“decent place to stay for a night”
Review of Hotel Villa Diana

Hotel Villa Diana
Ranked #226 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This place is a good value in Frankfurt. It is a bit far away from the old city center (about a half hour walking), so while the location is not the best, the basic rooms are comfortable and clean. If you are traveling on a budget and only spending a short time in Frankfurt, I would recommend this as a decent, comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 October 2013

The hotel is situated very close to the Messe Frankfurt - a leisure 10 minutes walk gets you to the "City" entrance.
The bathrooms are newly refurbished and I suspect they were the subject of previous very bad reviews. Now they are very clean, modern. The room themselves seem quite new, the beds are comfortable.
One of the rooms in the 4th floor was in the original shape (we suspected it was the living room of a former apartment with more rooms), with an enormous fireplace and a nice wood beam ceiling.

The wi-fi works quite well and is free of charge in all the rooms. The breakfast is not included and the tiny breakfast room has only enough space for 6 tables.

The personnel is quite helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank rocksy25
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I wish I had considered a little longer before booking this. The price is too good to be true. I do expect soap and shampoo in my hotels these days. Staff were friendly enough but it was not a great experience. Breakfast passable.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I have been staying here for over 30 years. What has happened to this once excellent hotel is quite beyond me. Our reception was quite amazing ... already in mid argument with the guest infront of us, the receptionist turns on me and demands I pay immediately even before I out my bags down ... No, breakfast is not included (it was Originally) ... is just so utterly unpleasant and rude I am quite taken aback.
The reception area is filthy with stained carpets, the room freezing cold and completely devoid of anything more comfortable than a single chair .... The Curtains hanging down ... Fridge broken.... Bathroom door doesn't close at all ....The list is seemingly endless
Absolutely dreadful ... I shall never stay here again. One now to avoid at all costs ... Pity really ... It uses to be so good.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank peterkirchem
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Similar to the reviewer before me - I visited Frankfurt with work recently and stayed at the Diana (booked by travel agent) because it sold itself as a boutique business hotel. Hardly!! This place was just shabby, not shabby-chic. Old, cheap furniture, mould in the (dark, dingey) bathroom and a view of a fire escape barrier and car park.

In hindsight, all the photos on the web are super overexposed and brightly lit - so you miss the 70s wallpaper and the scuff marks along the walls. For €90/night you would do far better in a mainstream branded business hotel. Please don't book in here thinking it is something a bit different - in the UK this would pass for a slightly grotty £30/night B+B. Nothing more.

I will not be coming back!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Ruthie F
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I just returned from a business trip to Frankfurt with a 2 nights stay at Villa Diana. The hotel was booked for me but having looked at their website before I went there, I might have chosen it myself. I was looking forward to a cozy boutique hotel that specializes in business guests, as suggested by their website. But the second I saw the house it became obvious that the webpage was nothing but a major overstatement. The house, although clean, is pretty run down. I had a single room on the first floor which was really tiny and had a huge mould spot on one of the walls; the bathroom, again clean, barely left enough room to turn around and was visibly old and shabby; despite some of the images on their website it also did not contain the expected complimentary shampoo/shower gel but only some liquid soap. On the upside, the shower worked just fine. The room also suffered from severe lack of power outlets: I needed to plug in my computer and my phone and actually needed to unplug two of the electronic devices in the room to be able to do so.
When you arrive, you have to get past a set of stairs to reach what they call the reception but is really just a tiny booth with one person sitting behind a computer. Since there is no lift in the house and since I am 8 months pregnant, I left my suitcase downstairs and asked the receptionist to fetch it for me. But instead of taking it all the way to my room for me, he just left it with me next to the reception. It wasn't actually a big deal for me to get it to my room, which was located at the same level as the reception, but I think that common decency and manners (not to mention working in the service business) would be enough for a young man to carry a suitcase into the room for anyone (not to mention a visibly pregnant woman).
I also didn't get any information upon arrival, so I only found out about breakfast from a colleague who had apparently gotten the relevant information.
On the upside, they have free wifi for the entire stay. They simply give you your own username and password that allow you to log onto the network.
The next morning I was getting ready to go to the workshop I came for. Thinking that I was staying at a hotel that specializes in business clientele I assumed that getting some printouts shouldn't be a big deal. But I was quickly proven wrong when the receptionist simply said "No" to my asking whether she could print 16 pages for me. I then said that I would of course pay for it and dared to point out that they advertised themselves as a business hotel. Reluctantly she admitted she could do it but only if I sent her the document by email since she wasn't allowed to accept my USB (fair enough). I thought that wasn't going to be a big deal since I had wifi access; but unfortunately the connection they offer was not capable of sending my admittedly fairly large document. If you think that the receptionist was concerned, you are wrong. I once asked her whether she had received anything; since she hadn't I went back to my room and tried again. Eventually I just gave up. But she never inquired what happened, let alone tried to offer a solution.
Looking at their website I must say that most of what's there is a blunt lie. Not even the directions they give for how to get there from the train station are entirely correct.
(n.b.: If you take tram nr 16, it's not two but three stops; and if you then walk towards the hotel, the street you need to enter is not yet called Mendelssohnstraße but only turns into that further down. And if you arrive at the station and want to walk, they tell you to take the exit "Karlstraße"; but if you are looking for any signs pointing to that exit while still in the station, you won't find any - you'll probably have to go downstairs into the lower level to get lucky.)
Breakfast was ok, although it would have been nice to have some fruit (but you can have sauerkraut ...)
All in all the place is a disappointment if you expect to get what the website promises. If you just need a hotel in a nice location and don't care too much about what it looks like, then the place is ok (although I do not know how much they charge ...). Just don't expect any service, friendliness or particular comfort.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My husband and I stayed for four nights at this hotel on a business trip. There is no lift and we were on the fourth floor. The room we had was really a suite with a small hallway leading to the bathroom and bedroom. It was very dated; the decor was an interesting representation of the original architecture but not comforting for a hotel room – very dark and oppressive. The bathroom was clean and despite being at the top of the building the water pressure was good and there was plenty of hot water. The biggest problem we found was that despite booking a double room there were two single beds pushed together with not even the pretence of being a double. There were separate single duvets and quite a gap in between. The hotel is located in a nice neighbourhood which is very quiet and has a scattering of decent restaurants and bakeries nearby. We saw a friend’s room on a lower floor which seemed to have been modernised with modern furniture and a laminate floor but it was very small. The reception was staffed by a different person every time we passed by and they varied in their hospitality. We had breakfast once it was 8 Euros and there was plenty of choice but we preferred the small bakery around the corner which served nice coffee and very good pastries. All in all, the hotel was ok, but just that. We were a bit disappointed.

Room Tip: If you would have problems carrying a case upstairs ask for a lower floor room when you book.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business