“Reasonable Hotel but never a 5 star”

Fleming's Deluxe Hotel Frankfurt Main-Riverside
Ranked #73 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Reasonable Hotel but never a 5 star”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a two day break. The appearance of the hotel and the tiny reception is quite off putting. The sitting area / bar is pleasant and comfortable but again it is cramped. The bedrooms are quite small and comfortable except for the tiny pillows that were pretty useless and ruined our sleep. The rooms have absurd glass showers in the main bedroom - not my choice at all - looked silly. The breakfasts were poor - all the supposedly hot food was stone cold. The dinners, however, were substantially better. Free wi fi in the rooms was a plus but it was very temperamental. Service was pretty good - the staff were friendly and helpful. If you'd booked a 3 star you 'd probably be happy. As a 5 star it is a disappointment.

Stayed November 2013
flemingshotels, Manager at Fleming's Deluxe Hotel Frankfurt Main-Riverside, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Brian C,

first I would like to say that Eric the King is a very good choice for your profile!

It is a pity, that you don´t like our Fleming´s Shower! This concept is the companies heart and will be found in all our destinations in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. On our home page, just as over the travel agents we promote and indicate this one!
I will speak about your experience for the breakfast with my team to find out what has happened!

with best regards,

Sylvain Le Quernec

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

We stopped here one night mid-November. The location is good- central Frankfurt and walking distance to town etc. the rooms are nice and the open shower is classy. The service is very average and more a 3* standard. Breakfast was nice but we had to wait ages to order as there was only waitress. Also, we went down to the sauna and steam area only to be told that we should have informed reception that we were planning on using the facilities so that they could switch it on. We had to hang around for 20mins for it all to heat up! This was not what I'd expect from a 5* hotel! Altogether a nice hotel but not quite right!

• Stayed November 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was seriously disappointed to discover that this hotel is not ‘riverside’ at all – it’s actually one block back from the side / banks of the river – there are no river views as these are obstructed by the buildings in front!
However, in my mind when I arrived I had a Sunday followed by a Monday morning in ‘the office’ then out to a show in Frankfurt – and I so really wanted a river view across to the city for those 24 hours in the office!
Taking a basic mix of geography and semantics, I think most would be forgiven in thinking that a ‘Riverside’ location in the title was … ‘on’ or ‘by’ the river … but this was also a classic case of not reading the small print closely! (Ah-ha how many times has that caught you out!)
When I did, I could have kicked myself, but it’s easy to miss this when you are mega busy all the time.
My room description proclaimed ‘Elegantly furnished room features king bed and a view of the Frankfurt skyline’. So in my head … I had this view of the Mainhatten skyline across the river. However .. the description does not actually mention ‘the river’ at all. My imagination had intervened here!
Had I examined the pin-drop on the booking form map properly, then I would have seen it was indeed set back from the river – but when I’d made the booking I was in a hurry – it was booked and I was like, ‘next!”.
I’m also sure I’m not the first person to experience this . .. so hats off in a grudging way to the marketing team that conjured up the name and the description – it’s really deceptive – most people going there I am sure will think that the hotel located ‘on’ the river.
It took a couple of hours for my disappointment to wear off … not helped by the miserable, wet, dark, dull and uninspiring weather.
I did have my view of Mainhatten in the distance, although to get to that I also had a view of several back yards and parking lots in the foreground – this is what I had expected to be the river!
I then unpacked and made myself at home in the room and settled in to work. The WIFI was fast which you expect in Germany, with plenty of bandwidth, I could get as many devices on as I needed for free! Things were looking up!
The room itself was extremely well designed. Open plan, with a very compact bathroom area - a glass shower one side and a small basin space the other, but within that, everything you needed – hooks, storage space, towel rails in sensible places, etc. … and then a door through to the small toilet cabinet. Had that bathroom area been enclosed, it would have been pokey and claustrophobic .. designed as it was it was airy and almost unnoticeable in terms of intrusion onto the rest of the room.
The room was packed with lots of useful things for professional travelers – Nespresso machine, iPod dock (the same as the one I carry in my suitcase), etch … and there was a fully stocked MiniBar, tray of chocolate/Clarins toiletries/room socks and an ‘organic’ energy drink in an ice bag (which I consumed!)
There was also a large TV screen with access to loads of multi-lingual channels – although in my opinion – that could have been a bit smaller for the sake of gaining some desk space.
The bed was really comfortable – a good size and with nice linen and duvet. The overall room temperature was a little cold – but possibly that was me! (I said that about the previous day’s hotel as well!).
The lighting was good as well. and the décor, whilst a bit bland but at least contemporary and inoffensive.
It was the bar downstairs that helped redeem the property in my opinion.
The staff in there were mega friendly, there was a nice vibe and ambience – and I felt really relaxed on my own later in the evening to chill out a bit after I’d finished my work. The lighting in here is also very cool.
There’s a restaurant, which looked really good but I didn’t try. During the day then end of the bar has a sandwich / cake counter with some absolutely delicious fresh offerings which you can buy and either consume there, take away or stash in your MiniBar for later.
The hotel’s location is actually really convenient. The city centre is about a 10 minute walk … and had I not had 30 Kgs of camera kit to lug to the show and back and the weather been dodgy … that’s how I would have got to the club I was working in the second evening.
So … in conclusion I would recommend it, although I’d warn people not to expect any review views! At 390 Euros for two days I thought the price was OK for a near central location in Frankfurt, and I would stay there again … but I will explore some other options first.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

What can I say, the hotel offers anything a 5 star hotel needs, but in a very standard and boring way. The people at the reception were unfriendly, especially when I asked for something to eat at night because there were no chocolates in the minibar. I'll try the gym tomorrow, but I guess it's nothing fancy either. All in all it's not a bad hotel, but also nothing special. Except for the shower... Which is in the room. Do I need to say more? You guessed it right, I would not stay here again...

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Vincent T
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel doesn't live and breathe a 5 star feeling. The building on the outside surely not and on the inside it is simply good. I didn't come for the 5 stars, but for the location, the gym and an attractive price. I liked it a lot. The room (backside) was quiet and clean; staff helpful and the breakfast excellent. Great for a city trip or for business purposes.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dubai
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We took this as a special offer from Expedia without knowing the name of the hotel.
I cringed when it came up as I did not know the chain. However, a quick online search showed that the place was very modern and had great reviews on TripAdvisor. I am happy to be able to add another highly positive review for them now.
The staff were fantastic, breakfast was wonderful and the room was comfortable and very well laid out.
Design-wise, the shower is in the bedroom, surrounded by glass. Odd, but fun! :)
Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank WFProductions
Tijeras, New Mexico
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We spent 5 nights here the first part of October and it was lovely. Very helpful staff. Breakfast was wonderful, everything fresh and good. Lots of fruit and veg with great pastries for me and "meat and eggs" for my husband. Zeil close by as was the old town for restaurants. Pleasant walk along the river to the Hauptbahnhof! Really enjoyed our stay. Even ice from the bar for cold drinks after a long day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: Very quiet on back side with great city skyline view.