“Actually very good!”

Ranked #134 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Actually very good!”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I was dreading my stay at the Hotel Continental due to some of the very negative reviews on this website, but actually we had a great stay and would go back again.

The location of the hotel is absolutely perfect, there's no need to panic about finding the hotel from the train station because as soon as you go out the main entrance you can see the hotel across the street! The night reception staff were very pleasant, check-in was friendly and efficient.

Our room was right at the front of the hotel, with big windows and even a balcony. Whilst it was hot and there was no air conditioning, we opened the windows before we went to bed and by lights out time the temperature was perfect. The room was absolutely huge, and very clean and modern, whilst the bathroom was more like a four star bathroom than a three star one.

All the reviews mention the street noise, so I was sure to come prepared with my ear plugs. Whilst it's true that it's so noisy it borders on hilarious, the noise did die down as the night went on. I didn't need to use my ear plugs and got a wondeful night's sleep in the extremely comfy bed. Breakfast in the morning was really nice with helpful and friendly staff.

For £50 including breakfast this hotel was an absolutely steal. If you're looking for a silent retreat then this is not the hotel for you, but if you're looking for a cheap hotel close to the train station then the Hotel Continental will surpass all your expectations and more. I would have no hesitations in returning.

Room Tip: Our room with a balcony was very noisy, but the big windows helped cool the room down.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gemma R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice for the Ambiente Spring Fair. The first time I was in a room at the back of the hotel. There was no view from the dungeon-like window, but as I left the hotel first thing in the morning and only returned later in the evening, I did not worry about that. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, and I had a good night's sleep, and a satisfactory, though slightly pricey breakfast.

The second time I returned with a group of employees. We were given rooms on the front of the hotel, and although the rooms were of a good standard, and again clean and comfortable, the noise throughout the night of sirens, trams, and traffic was just indescribable. Our party was scattered over three floors of the hotel, and it was the same in all rooms.

I had no issue with the staff - the Receptionist I found helpful on all occasions, particularly in finding us parking for our largish van that we were using for the exhibition, but regretfully Ihave to say that I shall not be returning, because the hotel cannot guarantee me rooms at the back, and after a busy day on my feet at a trade fair the last thing I need is not being able to sleep at night for noise. I am very sorry about this, because the location of the hotel is great, and in all other respects I found the hotel very satisfactory.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank francis b
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We were thrilled when we learned of the location of our hotel in Frankfurt, but the anticipation was the height of our experience there. We checked into the hotel and were informed that we had a room with no air conditioning (we understand this is typical in frankfurt) so we asked for a room with large windows. We ended up with a room facing the 24 hour train and trolley station that was incredibly noisy all night long. Our room was no less than 93 degrees Fahrenheit from the moment we checked in til the moment we checked out the next morning. We asked if the manager could arrange a fan for our room, but he said he was the only one on duty and could not provide any fans, or even a restaurant recommendation.... i repeat, he refused to offer a recommendation for any of the restaurants near the hotel. I can be understanding of grumpy staff, unusual heat waves that are beyond the hotel's control, but the icing on the cake was the breakfast buffet covered in fruit flies the following morning, after we had suffered all night with the heat, noise, and poor attitude of the staff. I'm sure this would be a cozy place to stay in the winter when the windows can be closed and the fruit flies die, but we did not have a positive experience. Also, the photos in the heading for this hotel do not accurately describe the rooms (bathrooms, yes, but our room was not modern with light birch furniture and white linens. it was more of a 1990's style decor, covered in blue carpet with a brown pattern).

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces away from the train station on one of the floors that has been renovated.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank M Katie M

Travellers are raving about these Frankfurt hotels

Brno, Czech Republic
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I got single room in Hotel Continental and It was very clean, flat TV, Hair Dryer, Good single bed, Cupboard, Very clean toilet and shower room... Only I had one trouble in sleeping as my room was facing heavy 24 hours traffic street. I am mostly satisfied with Hotel and would like to be there again. Hotel is just few steps from Frankfurt Main Train Station.

Room Tip: I got single room in Hotel Continental and It was very clean, flat TV, Hair Dryer, Good single bed...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Vasco da Gama, India
Reviewed 14 June 2013

an excellent choice of stay; its very central just opposite to the main train station, conveniently located from the airport by train. its in the heart within walking distance of many historic and sightseeing places. the breakfast is very good and the english speaking staff is an added advantage.

Room Tip: the higher you are the less noisy it is as the train and trams are close by
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mendes30
New Westminster BC
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We flew into/out of Frankfurt on a recent vacation. Not having ever been to Frankfurt, I wanted
a place that was close to the train station as we had bought an Eurorail pass. This hotel was just three stops away from the airport and within walking distance to the train station. The hotel is a bit old, but the room was big, with a sitting room as well. Bathroom was adequate. No WIFI available unless you wanted to pay not available even in public areas, a bit of a downer. But Starbucks is at the train station. Breakfast was not included in the price but could be added. We went to the train station for breakfast, lots of choices and a lot cheaper. Main complaint was that although our room was non-smoking you could smell smoke coming from other floors.

Room Tip: It is close to transit, but with the windows closed at night, it was not too noisy. The cost for th...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yvonnecolebert
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 March 2013

The hotel receptionist, who is a man, was very rude and unfriendly. However, the girl (another receptionist) was very nice. When I asked if there was coffee available, he pointed that it was right behind me on a table with a dirty look, as if I should have known this already. Nevertheless, you can't ask for a better location. It is right across the street from the main train station. It is a short walk to the Dom/Römer and the Frankfurt Cathedral, which is right next to the Paulaner Beergarten.
The hotel's bed was comfortable and the breakfast was actually pretty good. So I have mixed feelings on whether or not I would stay here again. Probably I would lean toward same location but a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple