“we had a pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt-Messe

Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt-Messe
Ranked #63 of 267 Hotels in Frankfurt
manchester, UK
“we had a pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 7 nights with my husband and had a good time.

The overall decor is simple and modern, our room was small but we liked it. I was happy that the double bed that I requested was offered to us as I have stayed in hotels before where I requested a double bed and got two single beds attached together which I don't like at all. The room had the coffee/tea making facilities which was great. I would also say the room service was excellent as our room was never missed, it was made up whatever time we left. So the cleansiness gets my top marks and the same goes for the kitchen. The breakfast offered wasn't as varied as I have found at other hotels but it was still sufficient. The breakfast room was quite large and we enjoyed sitting for as long as we liked.

We both thought the location wasn't great and the name Messe misled us at first as the hotel is note based at the Frankfurt Messe area. However, the hotel was located in a quiet area and away from the red light district and the train station which are the areas of Franfurt that I don't prefer. If you don't have your own transport the bus stop is just outside the hotel. The train station is a 5 min ride or 15 minute walk I would say. The centre is another 20/30 min walk.

We would definitely stay here again as we were happy with the service and the value we got through an agency was simply unbeatable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Denver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

This hotel is a good value with a great location. Breakfast is also a step above most european continentals. However, room is tiny and sometime not 100% clean.

At the price though...its hard to beat.

Will stay again, if your looking for luxury go 5 blocks down the road.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
FRAGT, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt-Messe, responded to this review, 7 July 2009
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your valuable feedback about your stay in Frankfurt. We are happy to hear that you had a good value for money whilst staying with us.

In case you should experience any further cleanliness issues, please do not hesitate to contact the staff as quick as possible.

Many thanks again for having chosen the Holiday Inn Express!

Best regards,

Martin Nock
Hotel Manager
italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2009

simply awesum hotel gud connectivty with the main city of franfurt thru trans b'cause station is near by....plus totally a safe place to live in.......

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

Its a nice, clean silent hotel, off from traffic snarls, but still close to city center, public transport (bus) takes you to main station & though frequency is not very great, but you do not feel stuck up anytime. Good breakfast, excellent staff (Mr.Martin &team)... all these make this hotel worth a stay. Though rooms are bit small, but tea/ coffee available in room keeps one refreshed.

• Liked — Cleanliness of hotel & friendliness ofstaff
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your feedback! The team of the Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt Messe appreciates your feedback to the team very much and says "Thank You"!

Best regards,
Martin Nock, Hotel Manager
Greater London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

I have learned quickly never to expect too much too soon from holiday accommodation regardless of how much you have paid, if there are problems during the stay, they have to be dealt with there and then. You can never tell a hotels true potential until you truly experience it for yourself.

The Holiday Inn Express in Frankfurt city is GREAT!!

After reading many of my fellow reviewer’s comments I booked with some apprehension, however I was most pleased from the minute I arrived.

Having booked a flight in to Frankfurt Hahn (by mistake, through rushing) I took the 1hr 30min journey to the city using the BOHR coach service - priced 12 Euros for a single trip, which drops you at the central railway station in Frankfurt.

From the station we took a fairly inexpensive cab to the hotel at just 8 Euros, which was unnecessary as you will discover later.

En-route to the hotel I was slightly perturbed by the area in which we were travelling through, as we left the city behind and entered a rather greyish industrial area. However through my later exploration I found this journey was for pure financial benefits of the cab driver, taking us on a detour to earn more cash.

Finally arriving at the hotel, I was still aware that there appeared very little else in the area for a tourist to enjoy or discover, still I checked in with anticipation. The exterior of the hotel is pretty much what you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express, a white building, glass frontage with coniferous plantings either side of the entrance. Pleasant at least.

The reception and foyer is open plan, as is the bar, seating area and breakfast lounge, complimented by a modern light and airy décor. At the check in desk we were greeted by a polite staff member who courteously completed all essential paperwork before giving us a choice of rooms, which was a nice touch for your basic hotel. A service which is even missing in many 4 and 5 star hotels.

Once we received our keys, my friend and I ascended to our room with some wonderment of how it will be. On entering the room we were very surprised with its modern and clean look. The décor is a cream, deep red and ‘oak-esque’ in its appearance, which took it that small step further from a basic, budget, motel style accommodation. The duvet is neatly folded and placed neatly at the foot of the bed, while the forward pillow is tied nicely with a decorative sash, making look like a rather boutique touch. The bathroom was also very pleasant with a neat and quirky little touch.

The bathroom has one door, yet this one door make two rooms. Should someone want to brush their teeth and someone else wish to use the toilet then this can be achieved whilst retaining each persons dignity and modesty. This is done in the following way: The main bathroom door when closed conceals one large bathroom complete with large basin, large shower and a toilet. When the door is fully open it can be placed in to another catch which now separates the toilet from the bathroom, creating a completely separate (and still fairly spacious) room.

Another nice touch the hotel insists upon is the use of branded complimentary bathroom products in the form of Kleenex, Dove and others.

My one major draw back of the bedrooms is the TV’s. Although the set offers a variety of channels, it sadly only offers one free English channel, and that is BBC World News, which repeats every hour. This was very disappoint as many hotels offer a variety of English speaking entertainment channels, whether it be music or sport. The hotel must adopt a better selection of channels through out to serve guest better as English after all is the international language of the world. Regardless for German and Spanish guest the hotel is nearer perfect.

On the first night of out stay I noticed a small mark on my sheets, buy nothing which required a drama creating to change them or order fresh immediately, regardless, I was so tired anyway it could be resolved tomorrow.

As morning broke I awoke slightly later than I usually like to at around, 9:30am. I freshened up and descended downstairs to the breakfast lounge, open between 6:30am and 10:30am. The breakfast is inclusive with your price paid and is of the ambiguous continental variety, something which differs so greatly between hotels they should be named something different each time.

On offer was the usual apple or orange juice along with coffee and a large selection of tea, except the most popular Breakfast tea, absent throughout our stay. Edibles offered included the regular bread roll and croissants with a nice selection of preserves and spreads. As well as this you can choose from a variety of cereals, yoghurt or a minimal selection of cold meats. The breakfast was far from my expectations and could have been made a lot more appetising. It would be worth offering the continental as standard but offering a cooked breakfast for a small price. A trial of which would I am sure prove fruitful for the business. In its current state I feel it lets the excellent service and quality of the hotel down.

After breakfast I decided to take a trip in to the town. Immediately opposite the hotel is a bus stop, which serves guest well by taking them straight in to the city. As I just missed a bus and it was too cold to stand around I decided to walk. I would advise any fit and healthy guest to do the same. This is now where I find I was wrong about the area the hotel was in. Although the hotel is situated amongst some industrial buildings, they are in fact rather interesting architecturally. The walk to the city centre from the hotel is approximately 20 minutes at a steady pace and along the way you pass a couple of traditional German bars as well as many traditional, standard German housing, which is interesting to compare with those in other European areas.

Once in the city there is a huge array of activities to undertake, which will delight people from all denominations of life. If you want shopping, theatre, museums or leisurely walks, Frankfurt has it all! Whilst in the city explore:

- ‘The Galaria’ department store, which shames many well known English department store.

- For theatre, there is a whole host from opera to the worlds largest international English speaking theatre playing host to Andrew Lloyd Webbers Cats - a MUST SEE!!

- Art- There are many museums in Frankfurt all offering different artistic tastes to keep all enthusiasts entertained for hours.

- Attractions - All visitors to this wonderful city MUST, MUST, MUST visit the fantastic zoo here (see separate review).

- Food, although not internationally credited for its food like its Neighbours France or England, Germany in fact has many great dishes to offer including unique presentations of the very simple ‘Hot Dog’.

On returning back to the hotel early evening, we both decided to have a drink at the bar. As expected the prices were slightly inflated yet the choice fairly varied. A nice and refreshing choice is a Grapefruit beer or the local Binding bear with the litre. A very strange point to mention was the tea and coffee facility. If you wanted them any where else other than your room you had to pay approximately 2 euros from the bar. The previously free hot drinks machine was now controlled by a coin clot, which was bizarre. If you are that bothered about a hot drink then you can have them free from your room and topped up free at any time. I am sure non-resident would not be drinking there as the hotel is not really in an area for such ‘guests’.

If you are hungry you can also order a hugely over priced pizza at around 7 Euros for a standard flavour. However the staff are more than happy to assist you in ordering food in from local take-away outlets. A special credit has to go to Oliver the night staff member who is very friendly and attentive to guests needs. Although conscious about not speaking good or fluent German, Oliver quickly subsided any hesitation in communicating in my native English. If asked he will also advise and great attractions within the city and where to and not to eat whilst in the city.

After drinks and pleasant conversations with the staff, we decided to go to bed. Getting in to bed I noticed the same dirty mark on the sheets on a freshly made bed. This unfortunately dampened my very positive attitude of the hotel and staff as I expect clean sheets on a bed every morning. This is a very simple request, which should happen in every guest accommodation. I called down to Oliver on the front desk to explain and he said he would arrange for the house keeper to see it as priority in the morning, which restored some of the lost good spirits. I took the sheet off and again retired to the very comfy beds.

The next morning as promised the house keep arrived bright and early to attend to the room and change the sheets as if her first job of the day. A great and refreshing fact to note, is the time in which the maid arrives to attend to the guest rooms. For many years the early start of house keepers and there knocking and banging has infuriated guests who stay more than one night. However our maid seemed to appear around 10am each morning, whether this was due to the location of our room is literally because of her start time, either way a great noting point never the less!!

After 4 great nights I left the hotel in good spirits, thanking the exceptionally polite manager for the hospitality and great hotel offerings. The day to day running of the hotel appears smooth and faultless to the guest and where nothing is too much trouble for the staff . Hopefully this will continue to be the case ready for my next visit, hopefully very soon (cost depending).

This Holiday Inn Express is a budget hotel with a High End charm, staff and hearty spirit!!

Should anyone want further information regarding the hotel before this review is edited and shown nationally then feel free to contact me via trip-advisor.

• Liked — The staff and room quality!!
  • Disliked — The poor breakfast offerings and lack of English speaking TV - very MINOR irratation!!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank danioko
Washington DC Metro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2008

I flew in to Frankfurt, took train (3.60 euro) to Haupbanhof, and city bus to the hotel (1.50 euro). Only 3 or 4 stops from the station. If you're really traveling light, it's not too bad a walk. Taxi comes in under 8 euro.

The check-in staff was very friendly. My reservation was in order, and my PC Platinum status was acknowledged. Including a ticket for a complimentary glass of wine. I mentioned the activities that would interest me (art museums), and they gave me a city map with everything highlighted for me.

There was a great deal to enjoy on the breakfast buffet, which is set out for a generous amount of time, especially on weekends.

My departure was very early -- 6:00 -- so it was nice that the check-out went so well, again a courteous person on staff; and a taxi arrived minutes later to take me to the train station.

Please note: the neighborhood has nothing to recommend it. But it's really not the point. I found it convenient for everything I wanted to do. And I had no plan to hang around the hotel. I was there to sleep and to have a nice breakfast. It was quite a bargain, and a pleasant one at that.

Only one complaint: the person at the desk on Saturday night did not know what "on-line check-in" was for my flight the next day. More or less she figured out she couldn't help me and my only option would have been to spend 5 euro for the business center computer. In this day and age, I think every hotel should have easy and complimentary access to on-line check for its guests.

• Liked — Great staff, bargain, good breakfast, convenient to sites in Frankfurt.
  • Disliked — No on-line flight check-in available.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2008

We stayed at the Express Holiday Inn in Frankfurt over the October half term holiday and found it to be very child friendly, extremely well located considering the city centre is a Red Light district. We were very glad that we had booked this hotel instead anything in the town centre! It really would not have been suitable with children. The hotel was clean,tidy and very efficent. The staff were very much on the ball and the breakfasts were good. The standard was very high for the price you pay. The number 37 bus route is excellent-it takes you to the city centre in about five minutes. The bus is a frequent service and is really close to the hotel. The rooms are well maintained,very clean and the bathrooms very hygienic. The hotel doesn't offer a restaurant service but you are able to go to the bar and order pizza only. Which is not very expensive-a basic one cost £6-and it taste quite good. They give menus for local eateries but the town centre is close enough for you to just hop on the bus and pick something up. In the evening the city is not pleasant as it is a open red light area and you will be very glad that your hotel is not in the heart of it.!!! The staff are helpful and I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Liked — That it was NOT in the red light district!!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family