“Interesting Customer service techniques”
Review of Da Michele

Da Michele
Ranked #1,656 of 2,474 Restaurants in Frankfurt
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Wrexham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting Customer service techniques”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We visited this restaurant when we were in Frankfurt recently for a trade show. The restaurant was within walking distance of our hotel so appealed to us. My colleagues had already eaten there earlier that week before I arrived and had mentioned it was a slightly strange experience. We had asked the barman in our hotel for another recommendation and ended up back here but he insisted it is usually very good so we gave it another shot. I was a little put off when my colleagues informed me that I would have no choice in my meal but that the waitress would decide for me. I decided this could not be the case but how wrong I was!

I noticed the people sitting outside seemed to have a variety of tasty looking pasta dishes on their plates so held out hope that I would enjoy my meal. I am not sure if it is because we were a larger group (there were 9 of us), and they wanted to avoid having to cook too many different dishes, but when the older waitress/owner came to our table she did not bring any menus. She basically told us she had various fresh fish from the market & that was it. My colleague wanted pasta so asked to see a menu, he was informed he would have tortelloni. She told us what wine to have. I decided to stand firm & said I just wanted a plate of pasta, penne or rigatone, in a tomato sauce. I was told I would have a plate of mixed pasta instead.

For starters we had a selection of anti-pasta which was tasty and enjoyed by all. The mains we received were mixed. I ended up with a plate containing some tagliatelle with cream and mushrooms, a chicken ravioli & a spinach and ricotta tortelloni in a tomato sauce. Though the tagliatelle was quite tasty the other two were average at best.
Coffees were forgotten, after we ordered them, along with the ice cream my colleague had ordered. When we received the bill they were still on there and when we asked her to take them off she just brought us the coffees and ice cream anyway.

The older waitress was formidable to say the least and could use some lessons in customer service & treatment of her staff. The younger waitress, who was polite and friendly, seemed frustrated & ended up in tears at one point when ordered to clean up a broken glass her boss had dropped! There was only the two of them along with the chef it seemed, and the restaurant was quite busy so perhaps this had something to do with it.

Apart from one other review similar to this one, most people seem to have a good experience here so as I mentioned maybe they just can't cope with larger groups. I expect if you were just in a couple your experience may have been different & you may actually have eaten something you ordered yourself.

• Visited May 2013

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Food OK; service awful”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We took customers here during a busy trade show, and were expecting it to be a bit chaotic. What we got, apart from food that was OK< was the worst service anyone on the table could remember. Maybe the signora was having a bad night, but she really shouldn't be in a service industry. She refused to give us menus ('too busy; I am the menu'). She refused to wait for all the guests to arrive before demanding our order. She told us we didn't 'want' the wine we had ordered, and should have another instead. And she got the bill wrong. We nearly clubbed together to buy her a city break in Seoul, so that she would feel at home. Avoid this at any busy time. To be fair, we have been before when the service was a little better.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Roger442
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Good old fashioned Italian food”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Having eaten at some expensive restaurants in Frankfurt and also some uninspiring cuisine it was a delight to stumble across this restaurant just around the corner from the Best Western Plaza where I was staying. The ambiance is very relaxed decor old fashioned and service and attention to customers excellent and most courteous - really make you feel at home. I had a delicious simple tomato salad to start which would have made some main courses look small followed by a first class pizza and good Sicilian red wine. All of this at a fantastically low price. Will certainly eat here again when in Frankfurt

• Visited December 2012
“V good traditional Italian food”
Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

Old fashioned but with fine friendly efficient service and good like mama home cooked traditional menu in family run restaurant. I am sure it will be dependable, if that is what you are after foodwise and the prices are more than reasonable.

Adrian, Michigan
1,302 restaurant reviews
“Very Good Italian”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I chose this restaurant because I was staying at the Holiday Inn Express down the road and I wanted someplace within walking distance. I passed this little place on Gutleutstrasse and was intrigued. The staff was very accommodating and the waiter was quite helpful. The ambience was very cozy and inviting. The prices were pretty good for the type of restaurant and the area. The food was very good. The pasta I ordered was very tasty. This restuarant is relatively close to the Hauptbahnhof and would be a convenient place to try if you are there.

• Visited April 2012