“You get what you paid for.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of City Hotel Frankfurt

City Hotel Frankfurt
Ranked #201 of 267 Hotels in Frankfurt
Houston, Texas
“You get what you paid for.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Stayed in this hotel for a short, 2 days trip to Frankfurt with family early April 2011. Booked this hotel through 3rd party travel service website. This is the only hotel in the area that has a family room that can acommodate 4 people.
The receptionist was very helpful, we came in on a morning flight and arrive early, around 9:30 AM. We were told we have to wait for the room but can park our bags at the reception area, and are welcome to breakfast next door. A good start. The receptionist also quite helpful when we asked for informations regarding the area, she pointed out the areas that we can visit around the hotel, and how to get to some local attractions. The hotel's reception is located next door @ Allerheiligenstrasse #28, and we get to the restaurant @ #30 through separate entrance. Breakfast was quite basic, but at least they have decent food. Cold cuts, cheese and olives, some vegetables and fruits, and some interesting bits like cheese sticks.
There is a quite functional small elevator, and it really helps to get to our loft room at the 4th floor. The room is medium sized, and comes with a very small kitchenette and sink that we didn't use. The room is clean, there are two queen sized beds, enough for 4 of us. The small balcony, accessible from our room, appeared to be unused for quite some time. The room is very quiet, the beds are quite good (no bed bugs! :) ) and we had good night sleep all the time we were there.
Bathroom is small and basic, with a small shower stall, but the water pressure is good and the hot water's really hot.
Unfortunately when we were there the hotel experienced a local internet breakdown that affected the whole area; otherwise there is a wifi that is available throughout the hotel.
The hotel is located in a more "ethnic" area of the city, and there is an adult shop a few doors down. There is also like a casino or gambling venue of some sort next to it, and in the evening men of middle eastern / african origin hangs out in the area in front of those places. However we just go pass them as quick as possible and avoid eye contact. It may not be recommended for single woman traveller to walk about in the area after dark, and if personal safety is your concern, it will be wise to just cross the street and walk on the opposite side if you are not comfortable passing through a crowd you don't want to get in contact with.
On the flip side, the hotel has great location, only one block away from the Konstablerwache undersground station and the pedestrian only Zeil area, and very convenient to use as a base if you want to explore the shops and eateries in Zeil. The Roemer (old city center) is also within walking distance, as was the Frankfurt Zoo.
The receptionis helped to arrange for a taxi to pick us up to the station later when we are leaving, and during our stay she has been very courteous and kind to us.
Yes, the area is not that great, the room is quite basic, but you cannot expect to get a five star environment and amenities with this type of price you pay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

I stayed here one night and it was an American style buffet for the bed bugs.... I woke up looking like I had scabies ( which would have been easier to get rid of ! ) I had to find a laundromat and wash all my clothes in hot water and dry on hot.. I have to clean my nap sack... NO THANKS ! AVOID this place....

Room Tip: why?
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank john_aexander1

Travellers are raving about these Frankfurt hotels

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

We paid £40 per twin room per night which included breakfast. Absolute bargain.

It's basic but clean and receptionists generally very helpful.

Area is not great but didn't feel unsafe. You are VERY close to the Ziel and only 10-15 minutes walk away from Sachenhausen which has a fantastic atmosphere.

I don't quite understand what people expect for their money but this is budget accomadation which was perfect for just getting your head down at night and simply using as a base for other parts of town.

Frankfurt has a lot to offer and you do could do much worse than this if you're on a budget.

Free wi-fi as well.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2011

Long brown and blond hairs in shower head (my friend and I both have short brown hair). Moldy tile grout. Water damaged bathroom ceiling with evidence of mold growth. Uncomfortable bed.

Left after one night and was told I would be refunded 1 of the 3 nights after e-mailing management. They responded:

"One of the conditions of the refunding, the equivalent sale of the room, was not fulfilled in this case. To compensate the lost profit the management of the hotel refuses to return the amount charged for the last night 05.02.2011"

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank xamu
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

I arrived here on Sunday night, room looked dated but fairly clean. Turned TV on to have something that looked like people on it (very fuzzy and unwatchable), connected to the internet which seemed good and after a while settled down for the night. it was at this point things became fun.
I was woken up repeatedly with what sounded like someone attempting to break my room door down. I later found out that the hotel has a faulty door on the elevator on the 1st floor and any time someone uses it, the door slams shut shaking the rooms next to it (101 and 102), I got almost no sleep the first night, came down the Monday morning and explained that I wanted moved room. I was firstly told no and when I persisted was advised they were full (the rack full of room keys next to the receptionist wouldnt agree). They finally agreed but advised I would need to stay in the room I was in till the next morning as they wouldnt be able to clean a room for me until the next day.
On the Tuesday morning I was moved into room 105 which was down the corridor. I asked for a non smoking room and was given a room surrounded by smokers which left me sharing a cigarette with my neighbour any time they decided to have one, also their wifi malfunctioned (likely caused by a guest hogging all the bandwidth, I complained and was told there was nothing they could do. Being here on a business trip and needing the intenet this left me in a really bad position, I was left to try and get on with it as best as I could.
I was again trying to sleep and this time I heard what sounded like a dance party going on at my bed headboard, it came to light the room shares a wall with a Turkish pub/gambling den of some sorts and this noise kept up until approximately 2am each night. I also had the fun of lots of noise anytime one of the other guests had a shower, seems the room next door to me has a vent between our two walls which causes all sound in 1 bathroom to echo into the other one.
Having asked to cancel my last night (and find another hotel) I was told plain and simply no and that I had an agreement with them for the 6 nights. I politely pointed out that alot of the "services" on their advertisment was false to which point I was offered another room move......

Waiting to see the dissapointment.....

One thing I must state for those expecting to use this place for business, their net is terrible, first night i had 10 meg, next night I had 56k, frequent disconnections, frequent failures (even though very good connection on wifi @54meg)

I will NEVER stay here again and I recommend people steer clear of it, I know its budget but I would have probably had a better nights sleep on the street!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

First up just look for a hotel. Stay away from here as you will regret. First up it is in a bad area. It is in the centre of Frankfurt but a terrible street. Brothels, peep shows & stripclubs surround the hotel. Lots of dodgy looking people and not a nice place. We wouldn't go out after dark.
Second thing is bed bugs. We have never experienced them before but even caught 5 to show reception. I know bed bugs can be anywhere but at least you know they are here. We have counted 47 bites on my wife.
We have been backpacking the world for the last 6 months and have seen plenty. We stay in budget places and know you get what you pay for, but this is the worst we have stayed in. Not sure where the 3 star rating comes from.
Stay away from this hotel and any located in the surrounding streets. Otherwise you will regret it. Absolute waste of money

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank Dan1977p
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

The area was horrible and my bed was full of bed bugs and they refused to refund my cash. It a dirty hotel in a dirty location and the pictures are not what the room actually looks like.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family