“Great Frankfurt find”

Mercure Hotel Frankfurt City Messe
Ranked #190 of 271 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 11 October 2012

The Atlantic Hotel an der Messe, is just a few steps away from the Main Railway Station (Hauptbahnhof) and about a 10 minute walk to the Messe. The hotel offers a great breakfast with crispy bacon, scrambled and boiled eggs, plus the usual cold meats and cheeses etc.. Our twin bedded room was generous and reasonably comfortable, although the beds were very firm! The receptionists were very helpful and other staff were friendly. There are plenty of bars and restaurants closeby, so is the red light district - so go carefully. It would be possible to walk to the city centre in about 20 minutes or so, but the U bahn is close and convenient.
I guess that during Fair time the hotel could be quite hectic as the reception area is relatively small. We stayed prior to the start of the BucheMesse and the prices were very reasonable especially with breakfast included.

Room Tip: Room 102 is a twin bedded room on the ground floor, just behind the Breakfast room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 September 2012

I do not understand why this hotel gets such bad reviews. Firstly, I stayed during a fair when the hotel was overbooked and there were no problems with noise/overcrowding etc. I had to book a single as the doubles were booked out and I was pleasantly surprised at the size - it was a good size for a single (not a cell as I have had in other Frankfurt hotels) and the bathroom was relatively big. It was tastefully decorated with a minibar (which you do not get in a lot of Frankfurt hotels). The design was a little weird with the light switch being next to the bed meaning I kept on turning the light on in the night when I turned over, and the lamp being above the bed meaning I bumped my head when I got up in the night but otherwise all fine. The mattress was a bit hard but this is quite ususal in Germany. Breakfast was fine.
The staff in this hotel are really friendly and lovely! Helpful and nice. The location is great too. All in all I was happy and would return

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We booked this room by going to the tourist information office at the main train station after we arrived by train. The price was right and it wasn't too far from the station. The hotel had certainly seen better days, but for one night, we could live with it. The lobby was crowded and less than spotless. The desk clerk was perfectly pleasant. The air conditioning was a pleasant surprise. Thankfully, it permitted us to keep the windows closed, as it would have been very noisy with them open. Our room overlooked a street with tram and car traffic. The room was surprisingly large, which was good since our only purpose in staying here was to unpack and repack to fly home, as well as sleep. The breakfast buffet was uninspired and a bit meager. They seemed intent on putting out just enough for the number of people they expected and no more. The formica on the bathroom counter looked like it had been cut and put in place by a 6-year old, but at least it was clean. I doubt I'd ever stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My stay at this hotel was for business and we had little choice of staying anywhere else.

In summary, this is the worst hotel that i have ever stayed in....and i have stayed in some bad hotels.

I could write an essay on the reasons why but i will keep it short so people can clearly see the issues....
1. The 'bed' was like a rock....if the floor was clean, i would have slept on it
2. The room was tiny....like a prison cell
3. Everything in the room was wipe clean....including the curtains and chairs!
4. The bathroom was filthy and the sight of the toilet brush was enough to make anyone be sick!
5. The room keys didnt work any night....resulting in having to go back to reception every time
6. Didnt even dare have breakfast given how horrible the rest was
7. Flashing red light in the bathroom.....??!
8. If it was free, i would have still been miffed.....but when its 220 euros a night, that is just robbery

My advice....dont even think about syating here.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank natjones7
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed here January 2012 for business and it is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! Unfortunately we were late booking hotels for the heimtex trade fair at the messe and our travel team booked the Atlantic hotel last minute non refundable!! If this hotel was refundable I can say for certain that neither myself nor any of my seven colleagues also booked in at the Atlantic would have stayed here!!

I think I am quite an open minded person and and not really a complainer (this in my first trip advisor review but thought it was necessary make people aware) anyway here goes!!

In a nut shell we paid 220 euros per night per room for the most basic and depressing room I have ever encountered.

Mattress was seriouly harder than the floor

One pillow in a double room which had hardly any filling....on second night asked for additional pillow but were advised there were non!

Most confusing was the red light in the bathroom....on a timer???? made your room glow bright red!! Assume what you will from this but I think you know what I am getting at? I would not be supprised if the rooms were available by they hour!

This place is a joke and should not be allowed to call itself a hotel!!

Only thing going for this hotel is that it is in good walking distance from the messe.

I will say that we did see the funny side of this and all managed to laugh at how awful the stay here was however if we had been staying more than 2 nights I think we would have not been so amused.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Pumpkintraill
Reviewed 18 November 2010

It was a horrible stay I had in this hotel. For the price they are asking, it is one of the worst hotels in world. The breakfast was never enough there. I complained thrice. And because of this, the the breakfast serving emploee misbehaved with me. Would you believe this? I immediately left the hotel, although it was booked for another day.

Deutsch: bitte besuchen Sie dieses hotel nie. Sie werden kein gutes Zimmer bekommen und ein sehr schlechten Service erhalten.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2010

3 star hotel (close to a 2 star).
Rooms are small and very old.
No lounge to have a drink or rest, no bus. services, etc.
Elevator is extremely old and slow. Easier to use the staircase.
Breakfast is OK.
The only good think about the hotel is its location. Right in the center of Downtown Frankfurt and 5 min. away from Frankfurt's Convention Centre.

If you're planning to go to the Convention Centre, it could be an option, but I said "could". There are plenty of hotels in the area which are way better and even cheaper. Now I know.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business