“Vacationers, stay downtown”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ennis, Texas
“Vacationers, stay downtown”
Reviewed 9 January 2013

While this hotel will serve nicely for those on business, it's not ideally situated for those on vacation, as the price of a cab ride to the downtown area is steep. If you are on a vacation, then consider selecting a hotel that is mre centrally located. That being said, the rooms are small. We had two rooms, the one with a shower had a noticeable plumbing problem; that is, the water would alternate from the temperature selected to scalding hot and icy cold, which was very unpleasant. Our other room had a tub, so the problem there was averted. The closet space was exceedingly limited. The beds were very firm, and by American tastes, too firm. The beds are made in the European style, which means that they have a bottom sheet and duvet only. Since my bed had two individual duvets, I took the cover off of one and used it as my top sheet; otherwise, I was too hot to sleep peacefully. There was a ridge in the middle of the bed, where two mattresses were pushed together to make one bed about the size of an American queen bed. The window between the bath and bedroom allowed light into the bed area and could be a problem if the room is shared, plus privacy in the bath is determined by one's travel partner as they control the window shade! Our other room had a lovely view of the city lights and was minus the bath window.

The bar staff was very well trained and seemed always at the ready. The waiter didn't bat an eye when I asked for a coke with ice and even provided me with a full glass of ice! (In two weeks, in Germany, this was the only place to provide more than two cubes, and some places refused me ice all together.)

The spa was interesting. There were signs stating that no street shoes could be worn to peruse the pool area; yet, the attendant (missing for 30 minutes, but returned) said to go ahead, with our shoes. The English was not translated correctly, but that adds a touch of humor. The workout area had very limited equipment, but what was there was nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, as those have better views, with windows on two walls.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
RD_Frankfurt, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Dear Yippie-Yi-O,

Thank you very much for your detailed review regarding your recent stay. We appreciate your comments and feedback.

Apparently you had a standard room and a corner room during your stay. The corner room is indeed a little smaller than a standard room, is equipped with a shower and does offer an amazing view due to two large windows. In both rooms the closet is quite small and rather designed for a short stay. The hotel is “designed to be different” and offers everything a business traveler needs. However our leisure guests can also find all amenities and comfort to enjoy their stay in Frankfurt.
I am sorry to hear that you felt our beds to be uncomfortable. Still, I hope you enjoyed a good night sleep after all.

You can reach the city center by taxi, however it takes only a short Tram ride to reach the inner city with its shopping facilities and sights. Our receptionists are always happy to support you with any information about the public transport and Frankfurt.

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our bar staff. I will make sure your kind words are forwarded to the respective colleagues. I am not sure why other places refused to serve the ice but with regards to our "Yes I Can" philosophy we are always eager to fulfill our guest’s wishes.

Regarding your experiences in our Heaven Spa I would like to apologize for the absence of the staff and we will check the translation on the signs. It is not permitted to enter the spa area with street shoes. This is usually communicated to our guests and I will make sure the spa attendees will take better care in the future.,

Dear Yippie-Yi-O, I hope you did enjoy your stay with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you again, should you chose to stay with us again.

Andreas Stoeckli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
DC
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel while transiting Frankfurt. The staff was great. After a long flight with 6 am arrival it was nice to have a smiling face at reception. They were able to book me in immediately despite the early hour. The hotel is clean, business class room spacious, lots of closet and luggage storage space, comfortable bed and strong wi-fi throughout the hotel. The bathroom was large and clean but nothing extraordinary. The gym was small but had very good equipment. Other guests enjoyed street jogging because it is a quiet area. The restaurant is nice but geared towards business expense accounts. The buffet breakfast had a large, fresh selection but for 28 Euro I would expect at least a chef making eggs, not a pot of scrambled eggs so definitely not a good value unless included in your room rate. The restaurant staff was very attentive. The Radisson is located in the west side business district so if you have business here or are transiting the airport it is a great location. If you want nightlife and shopping be prepared to take a tram or taxi (15 Euro) to the center of town.
I will stay here again when I have a layover.

Room Tip: Try for a business class room in the "round" part of the hotel. Lots of extra storage, go...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
RD_Frankfurt, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Dear Spoiledtravelguy,

"After a long flight with 6 am arrival it was nice to have a smiling face at reception"...I absolutely understand what you are talking about and thank you for sharing this experience with us here on TripAdvisor. Great if we were able to make your day a little better!

Thank you for your nice comments on the Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt. It was a pleasure reading your review.

We look forward to host you here again, as layover or as regular guests!

Andreas Stoeckli,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for the first time for one night in November. Lobby is very small but functional. Rooms are small but what really got me was the very small size of the wardrobe. You could barely fit one suit and shirt in there...the space for the ironing board was bigger. Bathrooms are clean but dated. Carpets showing their age. Overall ok for a night but that's more than enough

• Stayed November 2012
RD_Frankfurt, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Dear Simbaonsafari,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review your stay here on TripAdvisor.
I am sorry that you felt our rooms to be too small. Our rooms have about 25m². You are right, the wardrobes are quite small, however the large sideboard and the hangers at the wall can be helpful here.

We have ongoing renovations to prevent our hotel from the signs of aging; however, age is a tough enemy. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with the appearance of your room and I assure you, that we are constantly working on that.

Dear Simbaonsafari, thank you once again for your feedback, we certainly look forward to welcome you back in the future!

We wish you a Merry Christmas and a good start in the New Year.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 15 December 2012

The hotel architecture is eye catching and the overal condition of the hotel itself is good. The food is very good and the staff are very helpful. The water temperature fluctuated quite a lot between hot and cold during showers but obviously did not affect you if you had a room with a bath. The bar is especially good with a great atmosphere and they serve South African wine :-) The hotel also had a great pillow menu!

Room Tip: Rooms with a batth
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
RD_Frankfurt, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Dear HedyJhb,

Thank you very much for your review and for your nice comments about our hotel and our service.

I am especially happy that you did find a wine of your taste on our bar menu. We are always trying to offer a diverse selection and South African wines surely belong to the more popular wines by now.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again here!

London
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I decided to stay at the Radisson Blu Frankfurt because I had a gift card to use and with the price offered at the weekend... it was a very good deal.

The hotel is about a 10 - 15 mins walk to the Frankfurt West S-Bahn station but there is tram number 17 that runs close by and gets you to the main station in about 10-15 minutes. If you arrive at Frankfurt West, you need to get to the other side of the tracks by using the underground pathway....then walk. I didn’t mind the walk from Frankfurt West and found it quite nice in the snow. At the weekend, the local area is very quiet as all of the offices and most shops are closed.

There is a little supermarket about 8 mins walk away from the hotel. The hotel ATM was out of order.. the closest ATM that I found was at the Frankfurt West S-Bahn station so make sure you have cash if you plan to take a taxi from the hotel. There are several outside places to eat nearby but not immediately obvious if you don’t notice them whilst walking to the hotel.

The check-in on my arrival was quick and easy. I was accommodated in the room type that I wanted. The representative was friendly. The check-in desk was noticeably untidy though....papers everywhere.

I was happy with my standard room on the 9th floor. Lovely view. The room was clean.
The bed was comfortable and the room small for some but just the right size in my opinion. The duvet was not really the right size for the queen bed unless you like that your feet are sticking out. There also wasn’t a clock in the room.
The outlets are not universal like some of the modern hotels so you will need to bring your adapters/plugs.

The shower was nice, large, modern but a ‘waterfall’ shower head would have been a nice touch to the shower experience. My room didn’t have a bath. The hotel does not provide wash/face cloths - or at least didn’t in my room.

There was a giant lamp in my room! Im 1.93cm (6’4in) and the top of the lamp shade came up to my eye balls. Funny as it felt like I was shrinking every time I walked by it. It was almost like having another person in the room. It was fine though.

No problems with the FREE internet.

Overall the stay was good but there were a few service issues.

The location of the check-in area is poor as when it is busy the queues block the entrance to the lobby for guest that are already checked in. You really struggle to get between the people and fall, literally, over their luggage. Not very organized and the reception isn’t large enough to handle such large crowds. I think that they need to find a better way to manage the check-in of groups. The check-in desks are staggered and if they had a single row check-in desk...it would allow more space in the lobby.

2. Apparently some room key cards do not work in some lifts. I realized this because after returning from a evening in the city to a full lobby of people checking in, I went to go to my room and the key card wouldn’t work. Of course I wasn’t happy because I had hot food and it meant that I needed to wait in the queue at reception to speak to someone about it. I then went to the reception concierge which was the shortest of the 3-4 unorganized queues. The concierge desk was busy handing out envelopes to a group of 10 or so chatty Emirates flight attendants who were also staying at the hotel. I think it’s their primary hotel for the airline as you will see many Emirates attendants there. 15 mins later, when at about 3rd in line, someone else that had trouble getting up to their room was told they were using the wrong lift. How were we to know? They aren’t labeled by floor and the lift had a button for my floor number on it...so why couldn’t I get to my room? Apparently, you do not use the ‘wide lift’ to go to your room.

3. My room was missing a hair dryer, I called the ‘one touch service’ twice...in the evening and the phone just rang out. I left a note for housekeeping (in German)...and still no hair dryer. Maybe they ran out because it certainly wasn’t under the bedside table as the sign in the bathroom suggested. I gave up in the end...it wasn’t too critical.

4. My room didn’t have a ‘do not disturb’ card so the first morning I got ‘that’ knock from housekeeping. It was replaced when asked though.

Check-out was easy. I guess I was lucky at checking in and checking out not to get caught up in the large groups.

Overall the stay was acceptable and I would stay at the hotel again if there was an offer or good rates. It’s not a Hilton by any means in terms of service but perfectly acceptable for a city break and clean and comfortable rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
RD_Frankfurt, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Dear Dizzeem,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. The description of your stay is very personal and leaves a vivid impression for the reader, which is great.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay and that you might be staying with us again.

Nevertheless, I am sorry, that you had problems with your keycard and found the reception area too crowded. We had some large groups checking in during the last weekend, so I understand that the lobby was quite busy but this is not an everyday situation.

Usually you can use all elevators to get up to your room, just the two outer elevators end at the 16th floor. However, as you were staying on the 9th floor you should have been fine with all elevators. There might have been a technical problem with the ‘wide lift’, but this should have been marked with a note. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

As standard, you may find the hairdryer in the bedside table. If this was not the case, I would like apologize for that. I certainly will inform the respective department about this.

Dear Dizzeem, thank you for staying with us and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Once again my company made me stay here for the works' Christmas party over the weekend. I have already reviewed this hotel after a stay in August and quite frankly not much has changed since then,

Check in took a little longer as we were part of a group but was handled very well. My room this time was on the tenth floor and had a south-facing view over a snowy Frankfurt in the direction of the airport. It was a little bigger than last time in the corner room but not really much difference size-wise. I mark cleanliness down 1 notch here as there were a couple of marks on the walls next to the entrance door. Nothing severe, however,

Once again I ate out for dinner (at the party) so can only comment on breakfast, which was included and very hearty with lots of choice, hot and cold. The swimming pool on the 18th floor was as good as ever for a splash around and that magnificent view over "Mainhattan", especially when the city was under snow like this weekend,

Unfortunately, it is unlikely I shall be staying here again anytime soon as I am relocating within my company but I shall certainly have fond memories of this hotel and hope to be back one day! Hopefully the service will remain top-notch!

• Stayed December 2012
RD_Frankfurt, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Dear robbo1000,

Thank you for your excellent review of the Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt and for rating your stay with 5 stars.

Reading things like "I shall certainly have fond memories of this hotel and hope to be back one day!" makes me proud and I too hope that you will have the chance to be back here in the future.

Andreas Stoeckli,
Iceland
Reviewed 7 December 2012

The hotel fulfilled expectations, but if you are going to spend your time downtown this location is not ideal. Clean and well organized hotel, true to Radisson standards. Look at the rates, it might be cheaper to upgrade to a better room if you are going to have breakfast at the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get room on the corner, high up for the view.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Doddigud,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us here on TripAdvisor. It is nice to hear, that we could fulfill your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
It is true that we are not a downtown location, however due to a good public transport connection, our guests can reach the inner city within a few minutes and with little effort.

And yes, it is correct to check for an upgraded room if you like breakfast to be included in the rate. Quite often you can make a good deal there.

As a frequent Radisson Blu traveler, I hope you will be staying with us again in the near future!

Best regards from Frankfurt,