“Avoid the restaurant ”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt
Ranked #21 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Full disclosure: I wasn't staying at the hotel, just ate there.
- the hotel is undergoing a pretty extensive renovation, you can tell immediately on entering that you're in a building site.
- the restaurant was a shambles:
--- the food was of decent quality, the overpriced. Weird portion sizes: inadequately small steak, ridiculously large amount of rocket, equally ridiculously large portion of chips.
--- Food took TWO HOURS to arrive! Restaurant staff had to be asked repeatedly before we were told what was going on (short staffed).
--- I had to ask three different waiters before I eventually got more drinks.
--- on the plus side, I asked for my steak rare to blue, and it was perfectly cooked.

---

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
RD_Frankfurt, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Sam,
Thank you for being our guest and for reviewing your stay with us at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt.
We are indeed undergoing construction works in our lobby and the meeting and event area. Until the end of May 2014 seven new meeting rooms will be built. We are all looking forward to present those new meeting rooms and the enlarged lobby to our guest. However, I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.
I will definitely forward your remarks regarding your experience in the restaurant to the respective department so the portion size can be reconsidered. Please excuse the delay in serving time. Of course, it is not a standard in our hotel to have such a long order time. I am glad to read that you did enjoy your steak in the end.
Helge Luetters

Write a ReviewReviews (2,069)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I just came back from 7 nights in Frankfurt for the MusikMesse.

Firstly, it cannot be ignored that the hotel is a building site. It's almost like the reception area has been furnished by some extreme urban designer but no, it's just scaffolding and mesh.

BUT you have been warned either by Trip Advisor reviews or hopefully the hotel itself… So onto the reasoning of my poor review.

1. There is no all year round air con.

We've had some nice weather in Europe this week. Some days last week it was sunny all day and near 20 degrees celsius. Great? No, I had a double aspect room - windows all round that do not open. The room was baking hot and the aircon did nothing. Why? Because it is "winter" and the hotel had not switched its systems over to cooling……. So every evening I was forced to wedge my hotel room door wide open to let the heat out.

2. As it was hot, I drank a lot of water = 8 euros from the bar! Everything was very expensive, guess people don't mind when it's on their business credit card…..

3. Reception. Everyone was pretty nice and pleasant but when I actually needed help i was bluntly refused. I had a letter given to me on arrival from Fedex to the hotel telling them a package was stuck in transit. When i asked reception to help me with getting it out (automated systems were in German) I was told "no". So this is a business hotel - right? I don't believe this is beyond the remit…..

4. Ladies of the night. In the bar, every evening. The staff know, the barmen know - yet they let them in. I know its a part of life but seriously, this hotel is supposed to be of a high standard. Why let them solicit on the premises?

5. Restaurant. We ate in Coast last Sunday evening about 7pm. It was quiet maybe three other tables. Took more than an hour for 2 medium steaks and well it wasn't cheap.

Just fyi, whilst the wi-fi is generally good and free (unusual for Germany) there are dead zones and when it's busy the system will throw you off.

So next MusikMesse we won't be staying here. It's a shame because the rooms are quiet and clean and the area is up and coming but you need working air-con and a more "family" bar

Room Tip: Whilst the sun's out ask for a room facing away from the building site and not over looking the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
RD_Frankfurt, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear MetalWarrior,
First of all, thank you very much for your open words and the very detailed review.
I am sorry, for any inconvenience caused due to the constructions works going on in our hotel. Currently we are extending our meeting and event area as well as the lobby area and the construction works will be finalized by the end of May 2014. We are already excited to present the result to our guests.
Regarding the air condition, I would like to apologize for the heated up room due to the sudden spring break in Germany. Indeed, a technical defect occurred which unfortunately took time to fix.
Further, I can assure you, that the service you received at our reception was not at our standard. Of course you should have received the support you needed. I will make sure, this scenario will be forwarded to the respective department. I will also take care of your remarks regarding the slow service in our Restaurant. Naturally this is not acceptable and we will make sure that such mistakes will not occur again in the future.
Thank you again for being our guest, I hope you will visit us again so we can show you that we can do much better than that. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly onsite, should you be staying with us again.
Best regards from the Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I am sure that when this hotel is completed it will be magnificent but at the moment you only catch glimpses of what is to come.
I stayed for 3 days, room probably was the worst of all the rooms I have stayed in Radisson Hotels around the world but I am sure there are some with a magnificent view and a bathroom that doesn't run hot and cold water both at the same time in the shower.
Location is great with the streetcar nearby, I was collected from the hotel to go on a Rhine tour which was handy.
The spa is overpriced for the quality of massage, facial however the product used is amazing. I took another spa experience of a manicure & pedicure but that also wasn't of a good standard.
Food and service was very nice.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
RD_Frankfurt, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear FreespiritOne,
Thank you for your four star review.
I am sorry for any inconvenience caused due to the construction works going on in our lobby and meeting & event area. You are right, my team and I are very excited for the finalization of the construction works, too – I am sure it will be magnificent.
It is sad to hear that you did not enjoy your room and the view from the panoramic window. I am sincerely sorry for the water temperature issue. I will make sure your remark will be forwarded to the maintenance department.
Maybe you will have the opportunity to give us a chance to show you that we can do much better than that. End of May the construction works will be finalized and I am sure there will be something new for you to discover.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed here while on business trip during the second week of February.
First the good:

the rooms are nice (though the wiew from some rooms is not good at all, I believe from others it could be excellent, unfortunatelly that was not my case), the bed is comfy, furniture ok. Breakfast buffet selection was very good as well.

The let downs:

The hotel went through a reconstruction which I did not know in advance, it would be nice to inform the guests about it, because when you arrive at the reception and see all the scaffolding, it may be quite a shock for you.
The wifi was initially refusing to connect and my call to the reception to inquiry about it when I tried to connect for +/- 10 minutes was not answered(!). After few more trials it went fine.
Why do I have brochures in the room, telling me what a heavenly experience the spa can offer me when it is in fact closed due to the reconstruction? Also could be informed in advance, I was quite looking forward to it.
Also, what's the reason for a fine, comfortable chair in the corner, if it's not equipped with a standing lamp for reading? Beats me, I used it only for hanging of used clothes. The in-build wardrobe cabinet was not very practical to use due to its dimensions.
As I mentioned above, the breakfast buffet is very well but during the recontruction you have to move and sit under scaffolding which means your morning peace could be a bit spoiled.

To sum it up, basically what I needed was a good sleep and that's what you get. Hopefully, if I ever visit again and the reconstruction is over I will be completely satisfied.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
RD_Frankfurt, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Juraj K,
Thank you for being our guest and for your detailed review of your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt.
I hope you had a comfortable night and a pleasant breakfast.
I am sorry, that you were not informed about the ongoing constructions works in advance. On our homepage and on the booking confirmation we inform our guests in detail about the progress of the construction works. You may also find updates, images and general information about what is happening in our meeting & event area and the lobby.
Further, I would like to apologize for the problems with the free Wi-Fi connection and the delay of the support from the reception. This is of course not a standard at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt. I will make sure that your comment will be forwarded to the respective departments.
We would be happy to welcome you again when the constructions are finalized in June 2014.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Decent business hotel, conveniently located near Frankfurt's business district. Rooms are clean and modern. Noises are kept out excellently. The in house restaurant offers a decent meal, albeit at somewhat above market prices. The latter is certainly true for drinks, both in the bar and in the minibar. 5 euro for a small beer ... Monopoly pricing. Other points of attention are the check in and check out processes. Having to queue for 15 minutes is just not up to standards. The breakfast is fine, but the warm buffet should be replenished more often. Eggs get stale if you leave them standing for hours ... . But overall, a pleasant experience. The hotel served its purpose and I will likely be back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
RD_Frankfurt, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear beograd72,
Thank you so much for your honest feedback regarding your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you consider staying with us again in the future. I hope you will have the chance to do so.
Still, you mentioned some remarks I will definitely take care of. I will make sure, that we discuss those topics internally, in order to continuously improve our services.
Thank you again!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed in this hotel for attending the IAA in the Messe (2012 btw)
Getting there by car was no problem, altough parking the car in the area can sometime be a little challenge.
About the hotel, it start offcourse with the architectural design. Very modern!
The rooms were of a decent size with good beds and a great bathroom! Don't get scared with the glass wall between the bedroom and bathroom!
Breakfast was just excellent. Staff very friendly, helpfull and always in for a little chat.
The Messe is a normal walk away and the city center is a bit further away.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
RD_Frankfurt, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Patrick,
Thank you so much for the great review of your stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, especially after such a long time. Should you be staying with us again during the next IAA, you will definitely experience something new here. Our lobby and the meeting and event space are currently under construction. So it is worth another visit.
We are looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Nice looking hotel, great staff and the rooms were nice but I was a little annoyed on arrival to find out renovation work was being carried out and the lobby looked like a bomb site. That said I could forgive that but maybe they should put it is undergoing work at time of booking? What I was really annoyed about was the swimming pool and gym was closed! That was the main reason I booked the place. There are lots of cheaper hotels but I wanted to stay here because of the look, style and gym so was not happy to find this out. I think we should of been told before booking!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
RD_Frankfurt, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Paul L,

I truly appreciate your comment here on TripAdvisor. Thank you for being our guest.
From January till the end of May our hotel is under construction as we are extending our meeting and lobby area. Seven new meeting rooms will be available from June on for our guests. On our homepage and on the reservation confirmation you can find the information regarding the ongoing construction works. I am sorry for any inconvenience or disturbance caused.
The Heaven Spa was closed for your own safety and security due to a technical defect which occurred during the last week. The closure was not planned in advanced, so we were not able to inform our guests beforehand. I am sincerely sorry, that you were not able to use the spa as planned. Of course I understand that this was disappointing for you and I hope you will find another time to visit us and the Heaven Spa in the future.
Thank you again, for taking the time to review your stay with us.