“I would stay here again.”
Review of Townhouse Hotel

Townhouse Hotel
Ranked #25 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Barnesville, Georgia
“I would stay here again.”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Booked this place because the info desk at the train station said it was a short walk and we were tired. This was an emergency stop as we needed to go to the US Consulate to replace our US Passports. The day before had been a bad day and we had to get the train from Berlin to Frankfurt. As we walked down the street we began to worry about where we were going. We saw the hotel and opened the front door. WOW, it looked great.

We went into the hotel and were greeted by a young lady who was from South America, lived in Germany and spoke very good English. We explained our problem and she began to help us. She ordered a taxi for 7 am to take us the Consulate. We then had our son email us a copy of our Passports and she printed them at the desk. We asked when breakfast would be served and she said 7:30 but she would ask the breakfast lady to make us some coffee and to help us out. She also told us they would store our bags while we were gone since the Consulate would not allow us to take them in. Also, having free wifi was another plus for this hotel.

Our room was nice and clean and we had a king sized bed that was very comfortable. When we got up in the morning, packed and went downstairs. The breakfast lady came out and welcomed us in German. She did not speak English. We were treated to coffee and breakfast pastries set up at a table for two. Our taxi arrived on time and off we went. We returned two hours later and the breakfast lady had saved us many of the breakfast items. We retrieved our bags, said our goodbyes and went to the train station.

For everything this hotel did for us, I must give them the 5 stars. They went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable even with the problems we faced. They were great and I cannot get over how the young lady that evening helped to tired and needy Americans. Yes, we would stay here again and have recommended this hotel to our friends in Germany.

Room Tip: From what I saw, all rooms were nice. Ask for the King Size bed to have a very good nights sleepl
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Papa W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2013

After asking for rates from several other hotels in the area during my first night in Frankfurt, and being given gouging prices by all of them, I finally stumbled across the Townhouse Hotel. The price was refreshingly reasonable. The room was also quite, quite nice.
Other than the room having an odd door handle- the door opens away from you but is opened counter-intuitively by pulling the handle TOWARDS you- and the odd lack of bedsheets- there was only a comforter, and it was sized for a single bed not the double I was sleeping on, this was quite a nice place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ryan S
Drammen, Norway
Reviewed 5 December 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Townhouse hotel several times, mostly before early flights from Frankfurt. My latest stay for a night this summer was no dissapointment. It is located not far away from the railway station in a rather quiet street with only trams and pedestrians. It is modern, not too big and has a homely touch to it - a true townhouse! Great breakfast - all in all good value for money in Frankfurt.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank norwegianscot
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I´ve booked the Townhouse on short notice due to a change in my meetings location.
In fact two meetings with the Townhouse perfectly located in walking distance to both places.
The main train station where I´ve arrived on the ICE is also in walking distance. Not more than five minutes to go. A Rossmann store is just on the other side of the street, if you need anything to shop.
A nice welcome from the young male agent at Wednesday evening.
The room on the top floor was prepared as requested.
Everything clean, the bathroom not that long ago refurbished, so it looks like.
The room itself a bit from the small side, but finally ok for me with the short stay only.
No noise from the outside also with the german football guys on the game this evening.
Therefore a real good sleep for me.
Breakfast was buffet style. The usual phrase, everything there what I need in the morning and that´s perfectly ok for me. No time to wait also during check-out. Stored my bag till in the evening which was no problem at all and the agent there was once more really friendly.
Well, as usual the question for the downsides?. No free Wifi here, what should be the standard these days and what is the standard in most of the latest visited hotels.
Anyway, with Frankfurt as a pricey city and lot´s of meetings around an acceptable fare for me, 95.00 Euro´s B&B.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Providence
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I come to Frankfurt every 2 years and have usually stayed at the Hotel Manahattan, but their prices were high and they had few rooms left. So I choose the Townhouse after reading reviews on line. Good location, very up to date hotel although like most Frankfurt hotels no AC. Good breakfast. Single room on back of hotel was quiet and bigger than at Manhattan. Bathroom was good size with excellent shower. Service was outstanding and everyone was very helpful. My only complaint was no free wifi, but there is a Starbucks in the train station where you can get 2 free hours, and another around the corner but that one is only open until 8pm. My recommendations for solo inexpensive meals include My Sushi in bottom of Corner Hotel on street going up to Messe, plus tried one of the 2 popular Chinese restaurants around corner from Townhouse and was not disappointed. Great tofu and veggies in red curry for only 5 euros!

Room Tip: Ask for room on back when you book.
Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ClareCK
North of England
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I managed to get a good deal at this hotel by booking quite near my arrival date. I got a double room for single occupancy for €70/night including breakfast, which is very competitive in Frankfurt.

The location is very good for the railway station - make sure you use the Einkauf (shopping) passage to save waiting for two sets of traffic lights - just a five minute walk away, with the city centre another 10-15 minutes further on. Don't be put off by the fact that there are lots of Turkish mini-marts at the end of Münchenerstraße. They are very useful, and the area feels perfectly safe, even at night.

Check-in was handled extremely politely and efficiently, and the hotel has obviously been refurbished, tastefully, to a high standard fairly recently. If you look at the hotel's website, the pictures are actually how it is in real life. The Lobby/Lounge is in the style of a reading room. Whilst the lift is small, it is pretty quick to arrive. You won't find large hotel rooms in Frankfurt unless you pay 5* prices, and my room would have been crowded with two, but if you only want to sleep in it, it's not a problem. All the fittings are of high quality. The mattress was particularly comfortable, and I even found the "sleeping cushion" that all German hotels seem to use for pillows didn't keep me awake like they usually do. The blackout curtains are very good, and there are blinds on the outside that come down at 8am to keep the sun off. These can also be controlled from inside the room.

The bathroom was small but well organised, with the unusual feature of a drying lamp (a high-power red lamp in the ceiling) which is on a timer switch! I didn't need it as it the weather was very hot when I was there - for those who are used to air-con, there isn't any. You can open the windows in several configuations, but if you face the street, the noise of the trams will force you to close them at night. However, the double-glazing is extremely efficient and I didn't need earplugs. Another odd thing was the lack of a plug for the washbasin. Instead, there is a fixed plate with holes - rather like an upturned colander. I mentioned it at Reception, but it is standard throughout the hotel. Finally, between the bedroom and shower there is a clouded perspex wall covered with wooden slats......

Breakfast is a simple affair (nothing hot apart from boiled eggs), but nothing wrong with that, and the staff are very friendly. Frankfurt is a business city rather than a tourist destination (although still lots to see), so I suspect a lot of business men don't want a huge breakfast if they're being wined and dined. On every website I searched, the hotel was shown as having a Restaurant. It doesn't, but I think you could hire the Breakfast Room for a meeting and have food provided, thus leading to the confusion.

I really enjoyed my stay here, and would happily go back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank cherubino
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Located within a stone's throw distance from the Hauptbahnof (Central Train Station) of Frankfurt, the hotel has easy access to almost all the important destinations across Frankfurt. The tram station is just across the street and IMO tram is the best way for a tourist to experience Frankfurt. Of course, the Hbf has the S-bahn and U-bahn as well, apart from the bus service. Well, there are of course a lot of hotels in this area to cash in on the centrality of the location and Townhouse is one of them.
The hotel had a good, helpful reception service (English-speaking), good breakfast spread and cosy, new-looking rooms
The negatives included
a) small rooms - very little space to swing and sway
b) lack of air-conditioning or even fans in the room, especially intolerable if on the top floor (on which i was) and during the summer months.
c) paid wifi internet - quite exorbitant really
On asking around, we were informed that these problems are more of a norm in this area - would be a bonus if you found a hotel offering better services. Might be a little on the expensive side, considering its no-frills stance.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business