“Conveniently located hotel”

Clarion Collection Hotel Frankfurt City
Ranked #126 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel in February 2014. I needed a hotel that was close to the Frankfurt Messe but also not too far away from the city centre and old town.

Getting too the hotel was easy as you can catch the train from the Airport to Hauptbahnhof train station and from there, you walk out of the exit, cross the road and then walk along Taunusstraße and within 5 minutes of leaving the train station, you are at the hotel.

The hotel lobby was clean and tidy and quite colourful and the two people that were on the front desk, seemed friendly. I think the hotel must have been fairly quite the week I went as I was moved to the back of the hotel which the guy on the desk said would be quieter. The hotel is on quite a busy street so I could not complain about the move.

The room I booked was a double and what I got was pretty much as expected. There was a safe that was a little odd to operate, kept giving me an error message at first but then after the first day, worked fine. The tv had a good selection of channels though not many were in English (mostly news channels), thankfully the winter Olympics was still on so I was able to watch something interesting without needing to understand what they were talking about. The tea and coffee making facilities were sufficient but the tea and milk was not replenished after the first day. The room also had a minibar and that was well stocked and was replenished daily.

Overall the room was clean and tidy and in that regard I have no complaints. The bathroom was likewise in a good clean state. My biggest problem with the room was the pillows and the duvet. To date the pillows in this hotel are the most uncomfortable that I have ever experienced in a hotel. Now to most people they may be fine but I just didn't like them, they were far too soft and slightly too big. The duvet was too small, it looked to be from a single bed but the room had a double bed and every time I turned over, the duvet was no longer covering me. In the end I had to get the second duvet from the cupboard and use that as well. Other than the duvet and pillows, the bed itself was fine, was just the right firmness for my liking.

I stayed at the hotel for five nights and during that time I had no issues with any staff members, everyone I spoke to, whether they were on the front desk or members of the cleaning staff, all were friendly and helpful. Aside from what I mentioned above, I had nothing really to complain about, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and in Frankfurt.

There is one issue that some people may have but its not really the hotels fault and that is that the hotel is basically in the red light district and the area is a little seedy, though I never really felt threatened while I was there. The benefit to the area is that there are plenty of places to eat and drink and with its location you are not too far away from any of the main sights, especially with the train station and metro within a minutes walk of the hotel.

All in all despite the few negatives, this is a good hotel, conveniently located and it was also reasonably priced for its star rating.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the main street as there are bars and strip clubs nearby and lots of peo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Zebramanii
There are newer reviews for Clarion Collection Hotel Frankfurt City

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I knew I booked for a single room but the room I got 114 was literally 4 square meter. Bed had a comfortable mattress but it was placed between wall and wall. I am 1,98 and had to spend the night sleeping folded as a newspaper. Reception should avoid allocating this room to tall guys, or at least advice prior to booking. The room was so small I could not move the bed. Room was clean and heat termperatura was good too. I have learned to book with more time, for the 150 euros I paid next year I will be in a nice NH, with a big room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Francisco Jose V
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Good location close to central station, lots of bars and restaurants opened late near by. The staff were very friendly and helpful although it was a shame the hotel bar was rarely open. But the rooms weren't up to scratch. It's advertised as a 4 star hotel, I have no idea what gives them that rating. The rooms were very very small, probably the smallest hotel room i've ever been in, and also very tatty, marks on the wall, stains on the carpet etc. It wasn't all bad, the beds were comfortable and they managed somehow to squeeze most things into this small room like a coffee maker, iron & iron board etc. The fridge and a safe was in the wardrobe which didn't leave much room to hang up any clothing. Overall it did the job but I would only stay here again if it were very cheap otherwise you can get a lot more space for your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AT67
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I booked this hotel through Travel Republic and I have to say the reviews I read previously were pretty negative. I went to see my sister in the English Theatre so the hotel was in the perfect location to walk to the theatre with ease, in addition to being a close walk to the main train station and a 20 minute walk to the town centre. Our room was classed as one of the bigger rooms in the hotel, and I thought it was a decent size for the price we paid. I would recommend this for a short city trip as it has everything you need for business or tourism.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the first floor at the front of the hotel which was apparently bigger than t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kwatson43
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I made a prepaid reservation at the Clarion Collection Hotel Frankfurt City Center. Let me quote a few choice phrases that Choice Hotels included in our contractual agreement when I prepaid,

Cancellation and Change Policy
This booking is Non-Refundable and cannot be amended or modified. Failure to arrive at your hotel will be treated as a No-Show and no refund will be given (Hotel policy).

All rooms are guaranteed on the day of arrival.

As you probably surmise by the fact that I am so dissatisfied, when I arrived at the Clarion Collection Hotel Frankfurt City Center, no room was available. Choice Hotels had elected to rent the room I had paid for to someone else who paid a higher price. There was a big convention in town.

Let me reiterate one more time, that I had prepaid.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Kerwin G
Reviewed 30 December 2013

(Traveled here in 2012) Yes, this Clarion sits in the "heart" of all the action and the Red Light District in Frankfurt. This is not a negative because there was a lot to observe and there was never a dull moment. The hotel itself is very secure and I believe the doors may lock after a certain hour to the main lobby. In the main lobby there is a small bar area---sit, enjoy a glass of Apple Wine. The staff is friendly and when my friend and I arrived from the US rather early they allowed us to leave our luggage and extended a tag for identification of luggage while we went for breakfast. The front desk promised the room would be ready soon, the hotel kept their word--upon our return the room was ready. The rooms are standard European rooms; small in size but comfortable. Plenty of hot water and toiletries. I believe there had been a steam pot/coffee maker provided too. Here is the trick for dinner walk back to the main train station blocks away and enjoy some of the best wurst vendors have to offer. Mild, spicy, to fire hot! Great food in Germany! The hotel is in close proximity to the tower (observatory) and shopping and remember the train station is a few blocks away. Germany has the older steam-like trains but they do the job. At night, the entire neighborhood comes alive. You get to SEE the comings and goings of all types, mostly young adults having fun. I did not feel threatened by the environment. If even in Germany, try the Clarion--they offer a good breakfast and for the locale it's worth it. Thanks Clarion for hosting my friend and I. Great time!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alana W
Reviewed 24 November 2013

As a business hotel this is idea as it is located opposite the main train station and has plenty of places to eat and drink near by. Unfortunately it is located right on the edge of the red light district. The rooms are on the small size but well equiped with mini bar etc.
Decent T.V with english channels among the selection avaliable.
The staff are excellent and nothing seemed too much trouble.
If attending the exhibition centre it is ideal being just 15 mins walk, also within walking distance of the old town

Room Tip: Always go for a double room my collegue went for a single room on the front, which while it had a ba...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business