“Fine for a night”

Ranked #115 of 268 Hotels in Frankfurt
Qld, Australia
“Fine for a night”
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Our Flight landed at 6am but we were unable to check in until 2pm which after a 20hr flight was a very long day. I don't blame the hotel for that, however the hotel has no real facilities and the surrounding area does not have anything much to do.

For the price you really get what you paid for, pretty much your average hotel although I would more lean towards a motel. The only really good thing the hotel has going for it is that its close to the train station and car rental's. That said, Taxi's were pretty cheap so staying elsewhere really wouldn't be a problem.

Nothing special, but fine for a night stay.

• Stayed April 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
TR
Reviewed 27 April 2009

We stayed late March at Leonardo Hotel. As a four stars hotel we'd expected a bit better. Better furnishings, more facilities. In general it was a good hotel for the prices we payed. We checked in in the late evening and everything was ok, we got our keys and in the room. The room was ok, spacious, but not a luxury or with modern furnishings. It was though quiet, cause our balcony was at the back of the hotel, not right over the road. The balcony was long and it connected rooms. That was not very good as one of the next room could easily enter your room from the balcony, if you kept the door open. And you never know who can happen to be next to your room, right?
Bathroom was fine, it had a bathtube with the shower within and it was relatively spacious and clean.
The breakfast was ok, plenty of things, almost nice personnel. The first morning we went down for breakfast, we were told that we were to pay for the breakfast as he thought we had to check out that day. We were to stay 4 more nights and I told him, but in any way, the breakfast was included even if we were to check out that same day. We didn't like that even if it was just a missunderstanding from part of the kitchen personnel. The other days were ok.
The TV we had in the room could not be used, it was only pay tv, so you had to pay to watch tv. (I would rate it zero tv).
The wireless internet was not free of charge as I think it should be in modern hotels. It was free only in the hall downstairs, if you wanted it in the room you had to pay. Even here I see a lack of full services expected from a 4 stars hotel.
The location of the hotel was good only for the reason that it was close by the main railstation, not for any other reason. The street was plenty of turkish, arab, chinese, etc.shops (you thought you were not in Germany but in some eastern country). You had to do quite a walk to go to the center and see a bit of real Germany and germans :)
Even the shops were located some 20 min. walk from the hotel. Near the hotel there were no shops (except for the arabic, turkish and chinese ones). Not even a super market. We went down to the railstation to buy stuff in a super market down there. It was a very good one.
The personnel of the hotel was very friendly, at least just one of them, with whom we had more contact. Except for some young (maybe) students that had the morning shifts, the other ones none of them were germans. It was like you were staying in some non-german hotel. The first day we has breakfast at the hotel, we had an arab family in the hall that was talking and shouting really loud, and that was a bit disturbing, and no one told them to be more quiet. So, in my opinion that lacks a bit of class, ain't it?
We had a normal stay there, but we think we wouldn' go back there. For that price we could have found better hotels (even 3 star ones, as the one we had in Cologne, which was much better and stylish) even if a bit more far from the railstation. The public transport is great in Frankfurt and it takes you everywhere within a few minutes. So, if you stay longer that just 1-2 nights, chose something better and a bit far from the railstation, in a better position.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JustMeTr
Antwerp
Reviewed 3 April 2009

We booked a room in november. The day before our trip we send a mail to the hotel to let them know that we would arrive late and that this would not be problem. We got an answer: it would be no problem. Everything was alright for our booking.
When we arrived at the hotel, there was NO room for us. The money was already taken of our creditcard, so we paid for a room that we did not get. The staffmember behind the desk was very unfriendly and even told us to go sleep in the streets.
Another staffmember came and he was more friendly. We ended up in another hotel in the neighbourhoud (they arranged it for us). So it was very late when we could finally go to bed. Nice start of a businesstrip!
Maybe we were lucky to go to the other hotel, because the staff there was very friendly and it was in a quiet street (Leonardo hotel is in a very noisy street).

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank svt888

Travellers are raving about these Frankfurt hotels

York / London
Reviewed 1 March 2009

My boyfriend and i stayed here for a weekend break. we flew into frankfurt hahn with ryanair the day before, but arrived late at night so stayed in an airport hotel, before getting the shuttle bus to frankfurt main station (hauptbahnhof) the following day. Note - frankfurt hahn is 1h45mins away from frankfurt! what do you expect of ryanair though... :)

as other reviews have noted, the location is fantastic, you can practically see it from the train station. also easily accesible to other areas of town (shops, nightlife, river, etc). the 'red light district' is only a few streets away though - literally right in front of the main train station of frankfurt. i personally did not feel unsafe at all, though im a hardened traveller and i had my boyfriend next to me. id say, as red light districts go, its pretty tame! one longish street with sex shops on it.

we had a double room, and i requested it had a bath and shower, and was quiet - no problems there. bathroom, neat, clean, tidy enough, but hell, the drains stank. infact, there was a bit of a whiff about most of frankfurt. very dodgy plumbing. it sounds like a small thing, but i spent a lot less time in the bath/shower! the bath is pretty small too, no good for sharing...

no probs with the room whatsoever- it had a balcony that looked out over the back (grotty back yards, sheds, etc), but it was indeed very quiet.big curtains block out any light coming in through the windows from the frankfurt skyscrapers.

when we arrived, i told them we had a reservation and gave the name, they said ok and gave me our keys. it was only later in the evening that i realised they hadnt told us what time breakfast was, where, and what time checkout was. though they might not have had good english... (i have nicht german). they were able to give us a helpful map of the area though! we kept getting lost.

breakfast was either 7 or 14 euros! we thought this was extortionate, so we got bread and baked stuff from the cafes in the main train station for breakfast. which was very very tasty, and i'm glad we passed up breakfast. tea and coffee making facilitiaes available in room, good luck getting a good old plain english cuppa though! they dont seem to do white tea in germany...
its pretty cheap, for all its comebacks, and great location, but the smell was offputting, and you're quite honestly spoilt for choice for accom around the hauptbahnhoff area. shop about i say. oh, and the bed was very very comfy, big pillows, and we got 2 separate single duvets - this is a bonus if ur sharing the room with a duvet hogger :)

good point about the internet - never saw any signs of it!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank imogenbailey
Liss, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2008

Firstly, the Lombardo is situated directly opposite the main train station in downtown Frankfurt. It therefore boasts a great location for touring the city during the day. Unfortunately, however, the Haut Bahnhof area of the city does not have the greatest of reputations and travellers, especially singles and females, should be wary wondering around there on their own at night.

It appears small from the outside and it is certainly small upon entering. The reception is petite yet tidy and there is a small bar area off to the right. Staff were polite and as helpful as possible.

I was staying for only one night as part of a business trip so was not too concerned about the quality that was on offer, but in all other circumstances it would have been an unsatisfactory stay. Especially if I had been funding the stay myself! I am aware, however, that you get what you pay for and the Leonardo is nothing more than a basic, budget travellers' hotel. My (admittedly) single room was tiny. So tiny in fact that you could not rotate without bumping into furniture, whether it be the bed, wardrobe, or W.C and shower in the even smaller bathroom. The room possessed the bare amount in terms of luxuries however they did manage to squeeze in a minibar and tea/coffee making facilities. There was a reasonable selection of multi-national T.V. channels but that is where the luxuries end.

This is nothing more than a dark and slightly dingy budget hotel. Ideal for cheap weekend breaks, stag parties or lads' weekends. Facilities for the business traveller are next to nothing so I would go elsewhere if you expect more.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Size of room and business facilities.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Max Ray
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 November 2007

I stayed in the Leonardo Hotel for 3 nights this week and overall the hotel is of a very good standard with well sized double rooms and decent bathrooms (bath with shower). The lighting in the bathrooms wasn't great and may pose a slight issue for female travellers (mirror is recessed into the wall and spot lights cause shadows when you are in front of the mirror).

There are two choices for breakfast (hot buffet breakfast (€14.50) and continental breakfast (€7)) which were ok but probably overpriced for what you got.

The location of the Hotel is very central (across the road from the Hauptbahnhof) and seems safe enough at night (the hotel is ~ 10m from the escalator into the Hauptbahnhof underground shopping center). I had no issues with security in the area.

The main problems I experienced?

The Leonardo Hotel has invested in it's own WiFi network and my experience was extremely poor. I rely very heavily on Internet access while travelling and outages affect me greatly. The loss of internet connectivity on the morning of the 3rd day was inconvenient and I attempted to check-out so I could move to another hotel with reliable internet. Unfortunately, the hotel wanted to charge me for the final night I had pre-booked. After waiting in the hotel lobby for about 45 minutes, they indicated that the internet was working again and I confirmed that the service was working again. They assured me this was not a common occurrence and these things can happen to everyone including me on my home DSL line (they missed the whole point that they were a business selling a service). Despite my better wisdom, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I arrived back to the hotel at approximately 10pm with the intention of catching up on some email - the Internet service was down again and the the hotel staff on duty that evening could not fix the issue. The following morning the duty manager seemed totally unaware of the issue at all!

On one of the nights I experienced some noisy pub goers (from the irish pub next door), but otherwise it was extremely quiet. If you want a quiet room, I believe the hotel does have rooms at the rear which you could request. This was a very minor annoyance and didn't bother me at all - I was awake and watching TV at the time - but some travellers may want to take it into account.

The final issue I had was that the hotel overcharged me for my stay by €10 per night which I am now disputing with them (they were not keen for me to see the bill when I checked out so I could check the charges).

Overall: Nice central hotel with good facilities. Hotel is value for money if you look for a deal online. Do NOT stay here if you need reliable internet or want top class service. If you're looking for a cheap get-away for the weekend it's ideal!

• Liked — size of the rooms
  • Disliked — service level / internet service
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HerrJager