“A little gem!”

Neighbourhood: Innenstadt
Melbourne
“A little gem!”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Amazing little find. This place is tiny, only seating about 20-25 people maximum, including about 8 spots at the sushi bar. It's best to reserve a table as they turn away customers every night it seems. I ate here 3 nights put of a 6 night stay in Frankfurt. It was simply outstanding. It's run by real Japanese people. The quality of the sushi/sashimi is excellent, as good as in many much more expensive Japanese restaurants I've tried including Nobu in London.
The Yakitori chicken skewers, gyoza and miso soup were all seriously good and the highlight was the half serve of sashimi which was 17 euros for about 18 pieces of fish including scallops, prawn, butter fish and excellent salmon and tuna. It costs about 25-30 euros person which I think is excellent value given the quality.

2 Thank tanyatella

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Good food - but cramped space and very pricey”
Reviewed 2 May 2011

This is definitely a "hole in the wall." It was surprisingly busy inside - especially considering how dead the surrounding area appeared at the time. Normally I like "holes in the wall" - because normally they provide a great value. Iwasa does not.

I went to this restaurant based on the reviews of TripAdvisor. It is very cramped as others have already mentioned - cramped to the point that my date was constantly being bumped by the waiters moving around the restaurant and trying to slide through the small opening in between our table and the bar. Eventually I noticed and just switched seats with her and scooted in really tight to the table. The service was overall very good but for whatever reason when I asked for my bill after ordering they quite literally gave me an offended look, said "no", and told me they'd bring it when we were completely done. We then had to wait another 15 minutes for the bill after finishing which caused us to miss making it to the movie rental place while they were still open.

The food was excellent but stick to the sushi - everything else seems pretty outrageously overpriced. Our bill for an assorted sushi platter, a couple of green teas and two sides of shrimp was about 80 Euro of which only 29 euro was the sushi. It didn't help that the picture menu they gave us to use since we couldn't speak German didn't have the prices prominently listed.

I ended up eating at an all you can eat Chinese buffet near the main train station the next day for 10 euro - the food was nearly as good, I ate more of it, and the space wasn't cramped.

I'd still recommend this place to a friend who likes sushi - just make sure you stick to that.

• Visited May 2011
Rome, Italy
“Small Izakaya with little spaces adapted to the Frankfurter taste”
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Got here after reading various reviews and aside from the cramped place with limited privacy and the fact that we shared the table with other hosts of the restaurant we got positively impressed by the offering of the restaurant.. Roasted green tea was good and freshly blended and the set menu allowed us to get a grasp on the good level of the restaurant that has been influenced by other Asian flairs..

• Visited March 2011
Austin, Texas
“Yummy Spicy Tuna”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I went here two nights in a row last week. It was wonderful as the other reviews say. The spicy tuna roll was out of this world. It was not filled with mayo, but was fresh, sweet, and good with a spicy bite.

The place is small and reservations are important. We arrived around 9pm each night and they shut down promptly at 10pm. They do ask you for your last call order, but be aware that they close on time.

• Visited April 2011
Stockholm
“Real Japanese Food”
Reviewed 23 March 2011

When you enter this restaurant you feel like you have entered a place in Japan. You can sit at the bar and watch the chefs prepare your sushi. The food is fresh and excellent, the best I had outside of Japan.
Some people might find it a bit expensive, but you really get what you pay for.

• Visited March 2011