“I wouldn't go again”

Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Innenstadt
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I went on a Monday night and it was PACKED. We managed to get a table for two near the doors which was nice because of the cool air but sadly not so nice because of the cigarette smoke carried over to us on that same air.

Our waitress was really nice but run off her feet. I felt pretty bad for her. It just seemed like someone had called in sick or something because it can't be normal to have a place so busy with so few staff.

My boyfriend had the vegetarian wrap of some sort and I had the vegetarian fajitas. The food was ok; the tortillas seemed to be hand/home made but the fillings were just average.

It took such a long time for things to come to us, and the table was way too small for both of our meals. I ended up burning my hand on the hot pan because there was just not enough room there. I wouldn't go there again but it was an ok meal.

There are newer reviews for Joe Pena's

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We had a great evening here. As other reviewers have noted, the made-at-the-table guacamole is great. One portion as a starter was plenty for three of us, together with the chips it comes with and an extra order of salsa, which comes warm - a nice touch. My fajitas (chicken and shrimp) were great, though perhaps slightly too expensive at about 17 EUR. The others had enchiladas of different kinds, which they also liked, and the portions were generous. Our only complaint was that, although the restaurant was half empty at this time (early on a Monday evening) we were seated right next to a couple with a baby. We were so close that we had to navigate around the baby seat on the floor to get to ours, yet there were plenty of other tables in the restaurant empty. Although the baby was not crying, he/she was also very happily vocal, and as he was being held by the person seated directly behind me, perhaps 18 inches from me, this meant that my party could not talk to each other. Finally after ten minutes we asked to move, and this was done happily and quickly. I do wonder, though, why not seat us elsewhere at the start? It would have been more comfortable for us and for the other couple. Perhaps the restaurant was trying to fill the window tables to give an impression of being full?

Reviewed 20 May 2013

We went here on a saturday night and had a very good evening. Although we only have a limited grasp of German, the staff were very helpful and they have menus in English. I would recomment the Guacomole which they make at your table and the cocktails are very nice!

Reviewed 14 May 2013

We arrived at the restaurant shortly after 8pm. By 10:15 we had still not received our main courses. Our company president still didn't get his until about 10 mins after the rest of us so cancelled his ordered. I would like to say the food was worth the wait but by that time we were all past eating and the food was pretty average.
Even when our colleague cancelled his order there was no apology. He informed us 'You had starters!' as if to say it wasn't like we were starved. The starters took a long time too & the one that took the longest was some tortilla chips & salsa!I don't know, maybe the bag was particularly hard to open.
I have a feeling our main course order got lost as other tables were getting there food before us who had been there shorter times. There were a few of us but considering most of the side dishes were probably already prepared it should not have taken and hour and a half to bring them out. We had been looking forward to going there as the drinks/cocktail menu was very comprehensive but by the end we wanted to get out of there like Speedy Gonzalez.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Tables stay to close to each other. VERY VERY NOISY, really impossible to here your friend sitting in front of you. Really have had to go outside from time to time to listen to quit. Service very slow - we were waiting for the order 1 hour and 15 minutes and it seems to us that we could wait even more but we have said that we will leave in case we will not get food in 10 minutes. Good mexican food. Prices are rather high.