“Good Hotel with a Great Spa!”
Review of Hotel Esperanto

Hotel Esperanto
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Fulda
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed there for our anniversary and found the hotel to be great for couples.

Check in was ok, but nothing overly warm.

The room is pretty standard with all the basics but we had an old ratty Bath robe and had to goto Reception to have it changed. Note that there is no air conditioning only a fan exhaust system. We were there in Summer and slept with the window open, however there was a big carnival on just opposite the hotel for a few nights, therefore it was a little loud.

The best thing was the unlimited access to the Wellness Area. It has many different saunas and steam rooms plus other relaxing areas. The pool was quite good, but it can be seen from the Top floor rooms in the hotel.

We went to the Brazilian BBQ on the top floor for dinner. Its ok, typical Brazilian BBQ with lots of side dishes but without Seafood. It is quite expensive though. The other good thing is the view across Fulda.

Breakfast was good, however dont expect it to be cosy. Its a very big breakfast area, I think because of it being a conference hotel.

Overall I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Esperanto

Reviewed 11 July 2013

A friend and I arrived at this hotel at 4 int he morning, after a long journey. We hadn't booked as our stop was unplanned but the good news was, they had 2 rooms available. When they asked us 95 euros per each room plus 8 euro for parking the car (at a car park across the street), we asked if, considering it was that late, we could get a discount. The girls at reception did not have any flexibility. So we asked to see the manager the following day and asked the same question. He told us that "the fact we arrived so late did not make any difference to the hotel" so he had to charge us full price. In the end, he discounted the car park making it sound like it was the exception of the century!!! Well, a whopping 8 euro over 190 euro total spent....excuse me if I won't put his name forward for the "best employee of the month for customer service".

The structure where the hotel is housed is beautiful and modern and I hear the SPA is great too, although I did not use it. However, 4 stars should not be awarded only for the building. Customer service should be considered too (and it normally is). And here's where this hotel is truly a 2/3 star hotel.

In addition to what described above, another three things happened that lead me to rate this hotel so very poorly:
1) breakfast was served in a huge, massive room. Yet, when we sat at a table out of the sun, we were asked to move right by the window, where it was uncomfortably hot. So hot in fact that we couldn't finish breakfast.
2) the rooms did not have any air-conditioning. Again, it was a very hot day and my room became in fact so hot that I decided to leave earlier than the standard check-out as it was impossible to stay in the room
3) they only gave us 1-hr free internet over WiFi.
4) the breakfast gave us a lot of different choices but the cappuccino was really a wash-down coffee, scrambled eggs were incredibly salty and the omelet....well, let's just say that I wouldn't recommend it.

To me...a 4 star hotel that charges 95 euros a night plus car park should give you much, much more than this.

End result: I moved out of the Esperanto and moved in the Holiday Inn where I'll stay for the next 5 days - Dear Esperanto manager you see what happens when you don't know what customer service is? Had you shown a bit more care for us, you'd have had 2 rooms booked for another 5 nights: 950 euro....Think about this the next time you tell a customer that his problem is not a hotel's problem!

By the way: the Holiday Inn is much closer to town, cheaper (83 euro/night), free car park, free internet for the duration of my stay on all my three devices, a modern room with a balcony, very kind staff, clean, modern, excellent breakfast...and they even put a welcome beauty kit in the room for you!!!! What more can you ask for?

Room Tip: my tip to choose a good room is to go to a different hotel. If you MUST stay here, note that there i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Zibbu
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Conveniently located close to the city centre, the hotel is geared towards conferences. The organisation was good, however as is common with these larger ~conference~ hotels it felt quite impersonal.
Nice clean rooms, and overall reasonable quality of service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2013

The Esperanto looks and feels like an American chain hotel, although of an upper. We stayed only one night there and could not test the spa area. The rooms are spacious, everything is new and nice, the staff is friendly. The breakfast offered a lot of choices, but nothing extraordinary. The hotel is located close to the station and the baroque, old town of Fulda. All in all I would stay there again. For what we got, the price was absolutely ok. I was astonished that the parking was only 8 Euros and the mineralwater I took from the minibar was only 2.50 Euros.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Nice location, clean and has a good spa.. Infrastructure is great but needs more hospitality and friendly lloking and serving hotel employees.. Restaurant on the roof toro el negro is great..

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank WindddSurfer
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Strange things happened: First of all there is a dinner buffet in the main restaurant (the other one was completely booked) with two main times for dinner. I would expect that from a package tour hotel but not from a hotel where you actually pay quite a price. Secondly there was a big party on the first floor so that I had trouble to find a way from the Fitness center to my room on the ground floor. Used several staircases but was not able to open the doors to the floor - needed to go through the entrance hall with a bathrobe. The room on the ground floor was okay, mattress not good enough for the price -definitely not good enough. Breakfast buffet was very good. I was there on a Friday and had an important business meeting on the Saturday so I read in the Hotel description that there is an ironing service with next morning delivery. Went to the front desk and the woman quite unfriendly told me that there is nobody working on a Friday night or a Saturday. Fortunately they were so kind to hand me a flat iron. At least the hotel is close to the train station.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Outside, you stop and think, oh, this doesn't look that great. But only because they have such a small frontage onto the street. Inside the rooms are spotless and lovely. It really is a 7/8 min walk to the Palais/Croisette. It's very quiet around the hotel.

The owners are genuinely lovely!

5 STARS *****