“Seems to have improved”

Ranked #39 of 50 Hotels in Kassel
Germany/UK
“Seems to have improved”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I don't recognise this hotel from some of the earlier reviews. Maybe the management took the criticism to heart. Anyway, we had a decent room, albeit in the basement but with a window which let in a lot of light. The furnishings were humdrum but acceptable and everything functioned. The room was clean and the bathroom was newly-renovated with a high-tech shower. The bed was OK, the mattresses were a little soft for our liking.

There is free parking but the wireless network costs 5 EUR per day which is a bit old-fashioned even if the room, at 69 EUR including breakfast is reasonably-priced. The staff were helpful and friendly.

Breakfast was good and the buffet was still being replenished shortly before closing time at 10 am. There is an outside restaurant/beer garden which is very pleasant in the summer (though we didn't eat there).

Maybe it's time to think again about Papen Änne. We, at least, were very satisfied and would happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
uk
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed one night this time, having used the Hotel before ( three times)and was bitterly dissappointed with the room, particularly the smell in the room, which I could not track and the lack of space.The room was very claustrophobic, the bath room towels dated and hard and the bathroom itself stuffy as no window or sufficient fan inside.
After enquiring about a noise in my room on my arrival, I was told this was the kitchenfan and it would be switched off at night.
On check out I mentioned the foul smell in the room and was told they will investigate it.

The breakfast was excellent ,very traditional German Fayre combined with a friendly,cheerful waitress and very nice coffee.

The Hotel operates a small smoking area in the Wintergarden and I was told on check in that I could sit there at night to have a cigarette. When I arrived a rather abrupt waiter asked me to smoke my cigarette standing at a counter as they had laid up for the next day ,and I would make the tablecloth dirty.
Fortunately one of his colleagues appeared and gave me a table where I could sit, have a glass of wine and smoke my nighttime cigarette. However I found the hospitality staff in the restaurant off putting.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Kassel hotels

Gloucestershire
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

Unfortunately pictures don't represent what you get for £70 p/n our room was stinking, dirty and nothing worked tv was broken, shower did not work properly (burned myself then suddenly icy cold water came in) if you need to stop in Kassel ... Pick somewhere else this place is a $%^*thole and the included breakfast was tasteless.

Don't get us wrong we slept in some grubby places before but this one is something else.

Kassel is beautiful though and relatively cheap.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EvilUncle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kassel
Hotel Am Sonnenhang
Adesso Hotel Astoria
Adesso Hotel Astoria
#13 of 50 in Kassel
Landhotel-Restaurant Schwalbennest

Been to Hotel Gasthaus Papen Aenne? Share your experiences!