“Second visit, food ok, same surly service”

Restaurant Eckstein
Ranked #25 of 379 Restaurants in Kassel
Price range: US$24 - US$48
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Against my wishes, we visited this restaurant again with my German family. I wasn't very hungry so I ordered the goulash soup, which was ok. Others ordered a schnitzel and some sort of hamburger steak dish. We all agreed food was better elsewhere despite the VERY crowded and apparently popular restaurant. What am I missing here? Ironically, we had the SAME waitress than last year. AGAIN she was cold and unfriendly but efficient. Guess that's just her personality but this type of unwelcoming service does affect the patrons dining experience. Atmosphere is cozy and as we arrived, a large group of tourists arrived so the place got real cozy, real quick (read cramped). Not sure I want to revisit in the future.

There are newer reviews for Restaurant Eckstein

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Good choice of "fast food" and cosmopolitan . Staff polite friendly and eficient. If ordering something spicey then do remember to check the "chilli guide".
Centrally located a good place to sit and watch everyone go by

Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is just outside the pedestrian area of the top shopping street of Kassel. The atmosphere is cozy and nice. We had two 260 g very good schnitzels with salad , fries and two beers followed by chocolat mousse (this was not so good) for 25 euro. I suggest this restaurant.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Service was good, kids' menu was adequate and prices were very reasonable. Food was good with a huge choice of different schnitzels and sauces. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

The quality of the food, though simple, is fine for the price you pay.
Don't expect Japanese quality steaks, but the price is definitely good for the quality you get.

Price for a main dish with 0.5l beer/softdrink goes from around €10 - €18.
Staff has a Guttem Abend for you when you walk in.
So much better then the Hotel I was at.
Would eat/drink here again.