“a must for that special occasion.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Seafood, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
St Andrews, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a must for that special occasion.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2015

Recently visited to celebrate, belated, 10th wedding anniversary. Some would say it was expensive.. I would say no. We were greeted and shown to a cosy waiting area where we ordered our drinks and were able to have a look at the evenings menu until our table was ready, which was ours all evening. The dining area is small/ intimate. Some I've spoken to said they waited long times for their food, I felt this was unfair as everything is prepared fresh so would expect it to take time, and my, was it worth the wait. I'm not a big fish eater, but the Cajun Sathe was devine.
We were never rushed and the overall experience was fantastic. Highly recommended and we will be back to sample another seasonal meal.

• Visited April 2015
1 Thank roofio82

Errol, United Kingdom
“Simply Splendid”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2015

This is the third time we have eaten at the Captain's Galley, the first time in 2006 and the second in 2008, so having not managed to be in the area for the past 6 years we were incredibly excited to be going back during our stay in the area recently. We've always received the warmest of welcomes from Jim and Mary and this time was no different.

We run our own cafe in Perthshire so our interest in food and hospitality is a given. However, we also try to work exclusively with local and Scottish producers and work within the seasons wherever possible. So we have a natural affinity with what Jim is doing at his restaurant and his dedication and persistence in re-educating people regarding the true state of fishing in Scotland and beyond is just breathtaking.

Rather than peruse the menu, we entrusted our choices to Jim who started us with Lobster Bisque and Spoots followed by the MOST gobsmackingly tender succulent HUGE Cod with Fennel and Artichoke. We ended with Ginger Brulee and Chocolate Fondant. Simply Splendid.

It goes without saying that we will be dining at the Captain's Galley whenever we find ourselves in the area. Jim & Mary have a very special place in our hearts.

• Visited January 2015
2 Thank superali99
Troon, United Kingdom
“Fantastic !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2015

A brilliant place and a must for a special occasion. The food was fantastic and the place is small and personal. Mary is a wonderful host and is so welcoming, she had a lovely conversation with us and made sure our glasses were full and we had some 'nibbles' while we waited to be seated. Jim cooked all the food to order "turning like a whirling dervish" and the fish could still be brought back to life it was so fresh! A wonderful experience in a brilliant part of the world.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank MrPBSmith
Redruth, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2014

It has been a while since I have been to the Captain's Galley, but the memory has stayed with me. The restaurant is situated in the old Scrabster Ice House, which gives it a lovely atmosphere. I've visited the Captain's Galley a couple of times for special occasions and both times was a lovely experience for all in my company. At arrival you sit down in the reception area to enjoy an aperitif. Then you are taken to the restaurant to sit down for your meal. The food is absolutely beautiful and presented perfect. The staff is extremely professional and welcoming. I would definitely recommend this restaurant!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Anna M
Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom
“wonderful, absolutely top class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2014

From the moment we entered we were made to feel at ease. Mary is a wonderful host and really welcomes you. The setting is lovely, the old icehouse both dramatic and ambient. If you come here, and you should, be prepared for a leisurely dinner and it is expensive, but it is worth it. For starters I had the roast belly pork and baked oysters which was amazing, the saltiness of the oysters complementing the pork perfectly. For the main I had the lemon sole, pan fried crispy skin on pearl couscous, it was possibly the best thing I have ever tasted and I have tasted many fine dishes. They cater for special dietary needs, it helps to mention this when you book. The desserts are superb. We spent 3 hours there over dinner and enjoyed every minute. Mary the hostess spoke to us often between courses and obviously cares about her diners. I should mention too the in betweenies, the amuse bouchees , superb. An experience I'll never forget.

• Visited September 2014