“Nice Hotel in Quiet Area”
Review of Gasthof Krancher

Gasthof Krancher
California
“Nice Hotel in Quiet Area”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here while attending a conference in Geisenheim. The location was perfect for me as I could walk to the conference in about 20 minutes on a pretty path through the vineyards. The hotel is also about a 15-20 minute walk to downtown Ruedesheim but I found that to be an advantage as it is in a more quiet, residential part of town. I didn't have a car, but if you do, it looked like there was ample parking available.

My room was clean and functional, if not the most attractive room I have ever stayed in. The view out the window of the Abbey was great though. If you want a hair dryer, you only need to ask at the front desk and they provide one. They also had free wifi that worked in the room, but it appears they turn if off during the middle of the night, not so great for me as I was jet lagged who was often awake at odd hours as I adjusted to the time zone and would have liked to have the wifi on. But it was free and worked well during the day so that was good.

The woman at the front was always nice and helpful and speaks English well. The breakfast was simple but tasty. I really wish I had had a chance to eat in the restaurant as it seems so charming with decor of an historical wine cellar, but the conference provided meals so I never had the chance. When I would walk through on the way to my room though, the food looked very tempting. Overall, I think for the price I paid this hotel was a good value.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank CindyLou12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Southern California
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here our first night in Germany, and there were some pluses and minuses, in my opinion. It seems like what would view as a typical German hotel. It was certainly cute and had an alpine look about it. But, because there was also a restaurant, there were not enough parking spots to accommodate all of the patrons. We had to park on the street in the dark and missed a sign (my husband is pretty fluent in German, so he was able to read it in the morning) saying we couldn't park where we did. Luckily, we got a warning and didn't get our rental car towed. Yes, we had to haul suitcases up stairs, but we've had to do this in American hotels before too, so I feel like I can't complain too much about that. The room looked fine--clean and comfortable--but it was oppressively hot and when we opened the window, there were no screens and quite a few bugs found their way into our room. The breakfast was okay; it was a typical German breakfast and nothing to brag about. I did get tired of having so many cold cuts on this trip, that's for sure. I think the hot and stuffy room and not having screens on the windows are what bothered me the most; otherwise, I would have rated the hotel a little higher.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor if you don't want to haul your luggage upstairs since there are no...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patty49er
Chattanooga
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Located on the upper edge of the town well away from the overly touristy center of town and very close to the Abby. The area is very quiet. The immediate area is populated by locals with no other inns readily apparent. (I thought this was a plus! There is a genuine, working wine merchant opposite the complex. Rooms are basic and somewhat dated, not luxurious as this is a family run inn. The adjoining restaurant (same management) serves good family style food and draws locals at dinner time. (Always a good sign) I enjoyed the traditional German food, service was good, price reasonable. The complex is decorated in traditional German style and has an courtyard full of decorative wine making equipment.

The location will be a negative for people,unwilling or physically unable to deal with an uphill walk to return to the hotel. WIFI is unreliable or non-existent in some/all rooms. Parking for autos is available.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Aviles, Spain
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We had a booking for four nights in Gasthof Krancher... and left after the first one.
The room was terribly hot (no air conditioning), there was no lift (wonderful if you´re travelling with bags!), the breakfast was quite poor... finally when we told the owners that we were willing to leave, as we had not been able to sleep all night, we were forced to pay 80% of the total amount. Quite unfair as the conditions of our stay were really bad.
The gasthof is very far from the town centre (and what about the slope to go back to the hotel!). And you cannot drive, as parking the car in Rüdesheim is impossible. The room very simple, even ugly. This part of the building does not appear in the hotel web!
This happened end july 2013.
After that first night stay, we moved somewhere else, and for 20 € /night more, we stayed in a wonderful hotel, in the very centre, excellent service, very good breakfast and with air conditioning. Quite the difference!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The biggest plus to this hotel is that it is far enough from the shopping/tourist area of Ruedesheim to avoid noise from the trains that run in that area constantly. We were not bothered by any outside noise at all but you could clearly hear noise from the hallway and adjoining rooms, including flushing toilets.
This hotel is not luxurious by any means. The décor is straight out of the 1970s, down to the avocado green toilet, sink and shower. The ceiling in our room was wood-paneled and the walls were stucco. The beds were extremely soft. There are basically no amenities in this room. We don't watch much TV while staying in hotel rooms, but had we wanted to we would have been watching an ancient 13-inch TV in this room. There was no WiFi in the room. There is also no air conditioning, but I have to say that the room stayed fairly cool even though it was unseasonably hot weather when we were there. I cannot remember the last time I stayed in a hotel room that did not have a hair dryer, but this room did not have one. The bathroom towels were surprisingly good though. To lock the door both from the outside and from the inside you need to use a regular key vs. a card key.
There were definite plus sides to this hotel though. The check-in process was very nice and the woman working the front desk gave us a map and pointed out all the local attractions without us even asking. She also told us all about breakfast, dinner and their little beer garden. We've stayed at hotels where we've had to ask to obtain this kind of information so it was very nice to have it volunteered. My husband did end up having dinner in the beer garden and he said the sauerbraten was very good. There seemed to be a lot of locals eating there which is normally a good recommendation for a restaurant. The waitress was extremely friendly and helpful. The included breakfast was adequate.
To sum up, this is a clean, basic, friendly hotel but the outdated décor and lack of amenities detract from it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Fortingall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Excellently run gasthof in a quiet part of town - except for the abbey bells at 0530 calling the sinful monks to prayer!!!!! But that is not a complaint about this gasthof, more an interesting aspect of this small town.

Accommodation comes with typical German breakfasts, clean large rooms and a quiet inner patio where one can eat and drink in the open air. The food is good.

The shower room needs updating but I am nitpicking now.
I would not hesitate to recommend this to you and I will visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank eezee-to-pleeze
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We have visited this hotel on several occassions firstly with a coach party several times but on our last two visits as a couple, We have always found the Krancher Family to be extremely good hosts, very friendly and always willing to help, even down to bookings on rhine cruises etc.
The accomodation is of a good standard and very clean, the cruisine is first class being freshly prepared and cooked by Thomas Krancher himself. Their is a very nice wine cellar from which you can purchase fine wine from at reasonable cost. We would recommend this hotel Guesthouse to anyone who wants good value for money.
Douglas Mayne