All reviews bread home made homemade jams fresh milk biscuits afternoon tea breakfast was excellent excellent stay lovely place perfect hosts guest house b bs warm welcome mini fridge high quality bed and breakfast single room
Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

We stayed here, my husband, myself and my granddaughter for one night on our way to Edinburgh.
Gill and Andrew were very welcoming. Our rooms were lovely.
Breakfast was excellent. Lots of choice. I love porridge and it was very good. Home made jams and marmalade were delicious, as was the home made bread. Home made cookies were also very good. My husband had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon as this breakfast is often not available in other B&Bs.
We would highly recommend this lovely home.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2016

Can't fault the place beautiful clean (very) room well presented, gorgeous linen mini fridge , water, milk, homemade biscuits, bathroom with toiletries fantastic shower, breakfast vey well made huge selection fresh fruits and wonderful home made jams. Fabulous bread.
Just! they wanted to clean I mean clean the room every day at about 10am said to us ,, best to keep on top of it every day,,,,
So like us after breakfast we wanted to lie on the bed read have a cuppa, enjoy a home made biscuit,,we were booked in for 3 nights, first morn we went for walk,,after breakfast 3 miles,,thought well we had better comply with the we need entry to yr room at ten o clock,,,got back still cleaning room,,,,so we sat outside ,,,second day we left to help clear the wedding venue right after breakfast, got back about 5pm ( we left a do not disturb sign on door)
Thought well it's Sunday give em a break from cleaning,,,nope could not go to room he was cleaning , sat and waited in the little coffee area,,,
Monday morning we looked at the times of breakfast 7.30 -8.30 hmmm shall we go dead on 8 not too early not too late,,,got to dining room had the feeling it was not ok,,,
He made vocal " haven't had time to put the jams out" heard her from the kitchen " open entry between kitchen and dining room,,,haven't put the yoghurts out either" made to feel uncomfortable for sure.
Couldn't wait to leave , pity really just got the impression they not experienced at B & B
But it's someone's home and for us it's better in a cosy less personnel pub or the pirory which wasn't far away,,just a personnel view ,,true and honest ,,loads of good points as I have put,

Room tip: There is some toad noise but not awful busier on week as , there is an annex which my uncle stayed in very nice
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Andy O, Owner at Middle Holly Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2016

Many thanks for your review. It is good to hear that you appreciated the effort we go to ensure that you have a good stay with us although we were quite surprised by some of your less positive comments.

We believe it is vital to maintain high standards and therefore we service the rooms every day. We make sure that any rubbish is cleared; that your fresh milk, tea, coffee and homemade biscuits are topped up and that the bedroom and bathroom is nice and clean for when you return. We never insist or put pressure on our guests to vacate their rooms and if you had wanted to spend the morning on your beds following breakfast, all you needed to do was make us aware.

On check-in, we always ask what time our guests would like to have breakfast. We try to allocate at least 15 minutes between each rooms’ breakfast time to enable us to provide individual attention to all our guests. On the morning you refer to, you actually appeared 30 minutes earlier than you had asked to have breakfast. This did cause a little surprise, but any comments made by either of us were more along the lines of an apology for not being ready and were made in a light-hearted manner.

We have now been running Middle Holly Cottage for 2 years. We passionately believe in providing a warm, friendly and intimate atmosphere and we treat each and every guest with the utmost respect and seek to provide the highest level of customer service at all times.

Reviewed 19 June 2016

This was my first stay and I felt at home instantly,I had a spacious single bedroom and slept like a log on a good quality bed..Every facility was offered plus a few nice little extras.The breakfast was "Hearty" The eggs were from the bottom of the garden and everything else was free range and locally sourced .The bread was home made as was the jams and marmalade {varying flavours}. My opinion is that Gill must be a "Bake-a-holic" If she can't bake it you don't get it ! Andy and Gill in my opinion have well and truly cracked it in the hospitality stakes .

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2016

Excellent B&B. Hosts Gill and Andrew did everything to make our stay a memorable one. Accomodation very comfortable and food superb - home made bread and preserves. Wide choice of breakfasts with local produce. You can even have tea when the tea shop is open. There is a sitting area for guests - one evening we brought sandwiches and a bottle of wine to eat there and Andy brought us plates and glasses.Only thing for some people to realise is that it is 20 mins walk to Scorton village with its pubs and restaurants although there was a pub 5 mins walk which we didn't try. We walked up to Nicky Nook with it's fabulous view as far as Blackpool from the cottage and it's only a short drive into the Forest of Bowland proper. Highly recommend this B&B

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2016 via mobile

A lovely tearoom with the perfect Afternoon Tea. Everything homemade, the bread, the jam (at least 10+ to choose from), cakes and desserts. The owners and staff are very attentive and nothing is too much trouble. In a world offering afternoon tea on every corner and Groupon selling vouchers by the vanload, I am more than happy to pay the reasonable price for a truly wonderful experience that guarantees you won’t want to go anywhere else except back to Middle Holly. Enjoy x

Trip type: Travelled with friends
scrummycheshire, Owner at Middle Holly Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2016

Thank you so very much for your wonderful comments and feedback. This means so much to me to know that you have enjoyed the food we produce here. I see our Afternoon Tea as providing a taste of the food we serve on our lunchtime menu. So glad you enjoyed it and I'll carry on making jam to add further flavours and choices to the 'Middle Holly Jam List'!!!!