All reviews homemade bread afternoon tea home made great hosts guest house b and b breakfast was delicious award winning tea room trough of bowland mini fridge excellent stay bed and breakfast single room excellent shower hospitality tray holly cottage
Reviewed 5 September 2016

We booked Afternoon Tea and the day was warm and sunny. We were greeted by Gill the owner. The table she showed us to was bathed in afternoon sunshine, and was beautifully set with bone china . We started with a "shot" of her home-made soup which was a taster of what was to come. The sandwiches were made with Gill's home-made bread, as of course were the scones and cakes. The scones came with a choice of over 15 different jams (Gill's). This was followed by yet more cakes and pots of our choice of tea. Gill and Andy have created a little peace of tranquility and brought back the "Real Afternoon Teas ".

Room tip: Had Afternoon Tea, and didn't stay.
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2016

We promised ourselves, we would return, to have the High Tea.
And today we did. Warmly welcomed by Jill and Gemma.
We were served with a generous bowl of Wild Mushroom soup-it was delicious.
And then came a full plate each of tasty Lancashire cheese sandwiches,with homemade chutney, and on Homemade bread. Served with an interesting selection of Salads, including couscous, coleslaw, grated carrot, and much more, with a delicious beetroot and balsamic vinegar dressing(yum yum)
We were so full after this, but didn't refuse the beautiful homemade cakes.
These were Strawberry Angel Cake, and a Victorian sponge which had fresh cream, mascarpone and homemade Greengage jam filling!
All served, with a Pot of Tea for me, and a Cafetiere for Hubby.
Middle Holly Cottage is a real English treasure, everything is done to perfection.
Jill and Gemma work hard, to keep this high standard.
And even after closing, Jill was to bake a Victoria Sponge, and Scones, to enter the comp. at Garstang Show tomorrow.
GOOD LUCK JILL.

Date of stay: August 2016
Reviewed 23 July 2016

Cannot comment on B&B accomodation ( which sounds great ) as we live not too far away; but I was advised to try here by a chef who highly rated the tearoom.

Called in or lunch and had high tea!. A superb soup, well presented and tasty sandwiches and the most sublime piece of cake I have had in a long time...Superb all round.

I think an afternoon tea visit is on the cards, for which the Holly appears justifiable famous. Great prices for outstanding quality. Really hits the spot, so we shall be back soon !

Room tip: try the Tearoom !!!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Andy O, Owner at Middle Holly Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2016

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I've thanked the chef in question for sending you! Please you enjoyed your High Tea comprising a bowl of soup, half a round of sandwiches on our own bread and a slice of cake or a freshly baked scone with Rhoddas clotted cream and homemade jam and look forward very much to continuing our 'foodie' conversation next time you are in. Thank you again. Bye the way, we are 'Middle Holly Cottage' and not 'The Holly' (another place close by, not to be confused with us!!!)

Reviewed 22 July 2016

We booked Afternoon Tea for the Two of us. It was a lovely sunny day, and we were both amazed as we entered, how beautiful the setting was, it was like going back in time.
We went through to the second dining room, passing the delicious homemade cakes, and preserves etc.Jill the owner welcomed us, (Sorry can not remember the other nice lady ).
We were served with a potato and leek soup with lavender, in a shot glass(our first course) it was absolutely delicious .I had tea and it came in a vintage china teapot, and Hubby had a cafetiere of coffee. China teacups and saucers/plates etc.Then we couldn't believe it-a 3 tiered cake stand,-FULL dainty sandwiches, with the crusts cut off and served as they should be --in triangles. We were almost full when we had finished these. A gorgeous fruit and double cream offering and served in pretty china cups, decorated with edible flowers and homemade shortbread. Two of the most tantalising pieces of cake, one was of white chocolate etc (cant remember what else!)and the other an orange and --- with fresh cream(I am having senior moments!! cant remember the rest!)We had to bring these home, as we also had tyo come, the most delicious Scones (thought mine were the best up to eating these!) served with clotted cream, and homemade jam, which we both chose from a list. We both were so full, after eating all this.
Everything is Homemade, the Bread/Jams/Cakes etc etc. We were given a Loyalty card, and we will DEFINATLY be going again. We will try the High Tea next.
The choice of award winning Jams to buy and take home are amazing, I chose Ginger and Pear,(this time).
If only we had discovered Middle Holly Cottage sooner. Don't wait until a Special occasion--just pop in and have a Tea or Coffee---and definatly a Cake or Scone.
You will love it.
I can honestly say that compared to Claridges in London, where I went with my 2 Daughters,for Afternoon Tea-- I enjoyed this better.
It makes us regret getting rid of all our best china and Teapot collection---Ah Well.

1  Thank hungry midget E

Thank you for your amazing comments, I really do appreciate everything you have mentioned. The cakes you had were Elderflower and White Chocolate Cake (with elderflower cordial made with elderflowers from our own garden) and the other was Orange, Almond and Olive Oil Cake with a fresh cream topping. Your dessert this time was Strawberry and Rhubarb Posset served in vintage china teacups. I love my vintage china and am pleased our visitors to the Tea Room enjoy using it!

We very much look forward to welcoming you here again whether its just for a pot of tea/coffee or for that High Tea you mentioned. Our opening hours are currently Thurs - Sat, 11-4.30pm but we hope to open on Wednesdays too shortly.

Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

We stayed here, my husband, myself and my granddaughter for one night on our way to Edinburgh.
Gill and Andrew were very welcoming. Our rooms were lovely.
Breakfast was excellent. Lots of choice. I love porridge and it was very good. Home made jams and marmalade were delicious, as was the home made bread. Home made cookies were also very good. My husband had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon as this breakfast is often not available in other B&Bs.
We would highly recommend this lovely home.

Trip type: Travelled with family