“very good food and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Basil Restaurant

Basil Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 1,101 Restaurants in Hannover
Cuisines: European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Vahrenwald
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“very good food and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I would say you'll not regret to come here.
In Germany normally there has no service, but in this rest. service is really good.
waiter can speak very good English, and very patient to tell you about dishes.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Shao L

“Enjoyed dinner at Basil Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

The outside of the restaurant looks beautiful. The bricks and the use of glass for the doors and huge glass windows made me feel like I was standing in front of huge castle wine cellar. When I walked in. I saw a stand, but no host.

I was late and my friend was still looking for a place to park his car. The place to park a car next to the restaurant was full and us not being a local didn't know where to start looking. So I entered the restaurant a bit late, about fifteen minutes late.

A waiter saw me and walked up to me. He asked whether he could help me. Me being late apologized to him for being late and while I told him that it was due to not being able to find a parking place. He kindly smiled and told me that it is alright. I felt much relieved to hear that and he continued by asking whether I have a reservation. I did and informed him of the name. After telling him that he guided me to our table. I kept my coat, because my coat is not an unique one so I was kind of worried I would lose it amongst the other coats. But if I had a more unique coat I would have definitely let the waiter hang my coat in the coat rack.

After my friend parked his car, he sat down. Immediately a hostess walked up to us and gave us a menu and a wine card. We glanced at it and choose a wine. A bottle of wine '09 Riesling, Wehlener Sonnenuhr, Markus Molitor, Mosel, Kabinett Goldkapsel. A sweet wine, which I loved to drink. I am still pining a bit that I didn't keep the empty bottle. I tend to forget the names of wines, the label and such so I am glad I made a picture of the description of the white wine from the wine card and of course the label.

We had two waiters, a hostess and! A man, who let us approve the wine we choose! Yes, I know it isn't that special but I found it special! As I said before I don't recall wine names I just know what kind of wine I love and this guy looks his part a wine connoisseur. My friend smelled the wine, while he circled the wine in his glass, he took a sip and approved. I smiled and told the wine connoisseur that I trust my friend. The wine connoisseur left and I smelled the wine and took a sip and... The wine is delicious!

We ordered dinner shortly after that. I choose Menu 2, which consist of:
- Duck „Peking style“ served with coriander-chilli-pearl-barley
- Pan fried scallops served with lukewarm salad of asparagus, tomatoes and parmesan
- Filet of Angus-beef, topped wit a crust of herbs served with potato “Rösti” and sauted beans
- Mille feuille of white and black chocolate-mousse served with pear-sorbet

While we waited for dinner we received a basket with homemade buns and pumpkin butter! (I just realized that I am using a lot of exclamation marks in this review. But everything was so delicious and I don't know how to show my enthusiasm for promoting the food!) My uploaded picture from the different courses doesn't do the food justice. The food looks good, smells good and tastes great! You are missing out if you don't go and enjoy the menu(s) at this restaurant.

Apart from the menu, the service and the wine-cellar-castle-look I enjoyed the sounds in the restaurant. You can talk without the room hearing everything. They split the restaurant with sound damping walls which look like a part of a bronze ovally shaped art piece. You can hear other guests talk but it doesn't overwhelm nor does it sound like an annoying whisper.

I enjoyed Basil restaurant! I hope you will too.

There English website: http://www.basil.de/english/index.html

• Visited March 2014
Hannover
“Always a pleasure....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have known the BASIl since about the year 2000 and visit regularly. Always try one of the recommended menues and trust the recommendations of the Sommelier - it never failed ! Love the cross-over cuisine, the creativity and freshness of the meals. Also a good place to just have a cocktail or a glass of wine in the yard....

• Visited August 2013
Hannover, Germany
“The BEST in Hannover”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I have been now several times at Basil restaurant it it is fair to say that the restaurant has everything you need to be in the TOP class: Great employees who know their business and understand service, excellent location in a great ambiente and food which is outstanding and always ( and I mean always) at the best standard. On top of that they have a wine card which is an exception in Hannover restaurants and you can always ask for a good recommendation - you get a great wine and that for a fair price. Normally your get recommendations at the higher end of the price level - not in the Basil. And by the way: even the best wine is fair priced. So if you look for a great restaurant decide for the Basil and I am sure you will 100% support my reveiw.

• Visited January 2014
Waterloo, Iowa
“Service, food and wine were very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I recently was at Basil with business colleagues. First off, the atmosphere is terrific. Basil resides in an old military building, I believe it was part of a horse stable originally. Lots of history there, in fact the wine steward left a historical book at our table for us to review.
Our group of four went for the four course meal. My experience started with braised octopus, which was pretty good, but a bit rubbery. The salad was amazing, pear and blue cheese. The main course was duck and it was incredible. The wine steward was fantastic and paired two bottles of red for our table, to correspond with our meals. Lastly, the dessert was a grapefruit / watermelon dish with vanilla creme with mint springs. It was refreshing and very, very good. I recommend Basil for business dinners, casual dinning and during warmer months, outdoor dining.

• Visited November 2013