“Good and pretty cheap hostel”

Bed'nBudget Hostel Hannover
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Not exactly well signed, especially if you coming by car. Long walk distance from the city center but there is good communication. Room was small but clean and capacious. Reception was very friendly and helpful. Bathrooms were also faultless.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Menu

Travel-B.com
What's your travel-B?
Bed’nBudget Hostel Hanover – German engineering
I like the Bed’nBudget Hanover. Rarely have I seen such a well thought through dorm.

The Bed’nBudget is not just a hostel. Entering the premises on Hildesheimer Strasse 380 we first notice the old stone house with a typical German restaurant to the left. Signs point to the reception in a rather ordinary conference hotel straight ahead. To the right, beyond the generous parking lot we see a bright yellow two story building which I immediately make out as the hostel.

The ladies at the reception are just as nice to us that have booked 17.50 € dorm beds as they are to the guests in front of us who have booked a 89 € double. They give us the keys – old fashioned, heavy ones – and ask whether we’d also like to book breakfast with our stay. I find the 6 € price tag a bit hefty. But my sister points out that that there are not many alternatives around here. And the receptionist adds: ‘It’s a nice breakfast, too.’ So I give in.
We head over to our room. The yellow house is locked to prevent non-guests from entering.
The hall features a few couches, a small kitchen/bar and several fridges. It’s the hottest weekend of the year and our soda bottles love the fridges.
The house is buzzing with women in their early thirties. They, like us, came to town to see the Robbie Williams concert that night.

We find our dorm. I am scared: 30 beds in one room sound like not a lot of sleep. But there’s no alternative: the Bed’nBudget is the cheapest accommodation available in Hanover (not counting couch surfing).
There are two keys in our bunch. One to the building and the other one with a number. Beds have been pre-assigned to avoid confusion. Each bed comes with a locker. We see our lockers first.
What a pleasant surprise!
They are generous in size and boast big bad padlocks. Now that makes perfect sense to me.
Our beds are not far. They are like little cabins – self-contained islands. Each bed comes with a light, two outlets, shelf space and a curtain to give some privacy. On top bedding and towels are included. The way beds and lockers are set up it really doesn’t seem like there are 30 beds in the room. A feeling that will be confirmed at night when I sleep like a baby through the concert goers trickling back in.

My sister chooses the upper bunk leaving me with the lower one. We set ourselves up and sit on the terrace for a little snack.
Time to inspect the bathrooms. They are the hostel’s weak spot. Albeit clean there is only one toilet for girls and one for boys on the ground floor. The shower is shared with six showers in one large room and no curtains. I’m a sauna girl (the European kind where you get naked) and therefore don’t mind the lack of privacy. Since most of my female room mates do in the morning I don’t have to wait for a shower spot. A big minus is the non-existence of hooks to keep my towel and clothes dry.
At night getting to the concert and back is a breeze. There is a tram stop right outside the hostel. Within about 15 minutes we’re at the main train station in the center of town from where trains and trams go in every direction.
Next morning I meet my sister at breakfast. Breakfast is served from 6 to 10 in what looks like a ballroom. They have set up a large buffet in the middle of the room. On it I find everything and more I’d expect from a brunch: from eggs to breads and rolls to cheese, cold cuts and even fish to muesli and yoghurt to fruits and vegetables. Waiters walk around and distribute thermos with coffee on the tables. Good coffee. And there’s a selection of juices on another table. I decide that these are 6 € well spent.
So no wonder I like the Bed’nBudget and – if I ever find a reason to go to Hanover again – would go back anytime.

PS:
- WiFi is 5 € per 24h
- dinner can be taken in the restaurant or the Biergarten; if you’re on a budget head downtown to the main train station or Kroepke station for their food courts
- for a run or just some chilling there’s a large park that starts right behind the premises

Room Tip: Try the dorm on the ground floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carola B
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Reception very friendly, room warm and clean. Great to have a powerpoint and lamp next to each bed in the dorms. Breakfast great too. Bit of a walk from the reception desk, and not well signed (it's actually part of a hotel). Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I spent two nights here. (I'm a female and was alone). It's a little strange at first, because you check in at the nicer hotel next door and then they just give you keys. But the hostel itself was nice. The rooms were fairly clean. The beds were clean and had a privacy curtain, a shelf on the inside and a personal light. You also got a large locker (well, tall but thin?) for free. The bathrooms were communal, so no privacy. But if you're staying in a hostel AND in Germany you should expect that. My only problems were that A) since there was no staff in the building, there was no one to complain to about a particularly obnoxious guest who wouldn't quite fighting with his girlfriend on the phone at 4am and B) I slept in the large dorm room, which had a door on the back that opened to outside. People kept propping it open, so basically anyone could just walk into the building through our room. It just didn't make me feel very safe. But the area wasn't too bad (lots of business types, not a place for party-ers). It was about 15 minutes by tram from the central train station and most of the sites. All in all, as long as you're looking for a good place to sleep, not a place with a party atmosphere, then I'd recommend it and stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed in Bed and Budget for one night only and everything was just fine. The only problem we had was actually finding the place - but it was a minor one. You have to go to the Designhotel reception, which can be kinda confusing. But the receptionist was friendly and no fuss about it - we just got our keys and that was that. The bathrooms were shared, but really clean and big - everything looked new and almost shiny - even the rooms, but it's evidently an old house in a new skin. It's clean and quite cheap, not in the centre - but it's right beside a tram station. Oh, by the way, across the street there's Joey's. Have one of those Figolino pizzas - it's probably the best pizza I've ever tasted.

Room Tip: If you can get a room not near the bathrooms, cause it can get a bit noisy when someone decides to t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2012

6 of our party shared a 6 berth room, very spacious and pristine condition. It is called a Hostel but it is more of a Hotel. We did not have the on suite, but there were plenty of private showers and toilets for each floor. We used it for a stopover for a football match, but it is better than a budget bed. The breakfast was really nice. Parking for over 12 hours was only 5 euros.
Don't let the Hostel element of the name put you off, it is turning into a budget Hotel right in the heart of Hanover.
All the staff spoke good English and were very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2011

The best way to review a place is on what you have paid for it. It goes without saying that if you pay £35 for a nights stay you expect more than if you paid, lets say £5.
Right next door to the subway station it is about twenty minutes out of town, and when I say out of town I emphasise the ‘out of town’ in other words there is nothing there; Just a subway station and a ghost of a town that clearly never was. Check in is actually in a different hotel and the hotel is in a different hotel – If that makes sense.
We booked a deluxe room and got a box sized room with two single beds, a TV and a sink. No toilet as was advertised and the free wifi is not free at all.
Bed n Budget is essentially a hostel with hotel prices.
The hotel cannot be held accountable for the morons that had no consideration whatsoever for those sleeping at various points during the night, but the ‘housekeeping’ knocking on the door at 8.30 am is a sin. I ignored it and she let herself in, came over to the bed and asked how long I would be.
When we did get up the hotel obviously doubles for a training area for Everest descents since it was far too cold to go for a shower and even the toilet induced frostbite.
Not really worth the hassle or the price to be honest.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family