“Lacking”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Hannover
Ranked #2 of 159 Hotels in Hannover
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This hotel has the title Crown Plaza which makes it seem very well established in the chain of IC hotels but unfortunately there are one or two minor points that could be addressed. WiFi in the rooms is non existant meaning I could not connect my iPad to allow me to communicate with home thus we had to telephone. The reception staff could be a little more pleasant when answering the phone as they are a little abrupt and unwelcoming. The rooms are a little ropey also but other than that I like the place.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Dorothea R, Assistant to General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Hannover, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Stephen G,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hannover on Tripadvisor.

We are aware that our WiFi sometimes slows down during peak times. In addition to the WiFi in our guest rooms, we offer two workstations in the hotel lobby with complimentary use of the internet which you might like to try out next time you'll stay with us. Also, I am sorry to hear that our front office staff created the impression of being unwelcoming. Please regard this as a one-rime experience which should not occur again.

I am glad to hear that you still "like the place" in spite of the two issues you pointed out in your review and hope to welcome you again soon next triime your travels put Hannover on the agenda.

Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

This hotel is ideally suited to business clientele: Very close to city centre and hauptbahnhof. Good Value, book well in advance as this hotels fills up fast! Bar and restaurant service is good, and numerous places to eat and drink nearby. If tourism is your thing then the nearby zoo is excellent but a bit pricey

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear LukeLawrence,
Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hannover and for awarding uns 5 stars for location and cleanliness. We hope you enjoyed the visit to the zoo as much as you enjoyed staying with us. Hannover is always worth a visit for both business and leisure, so please make sure to ask our front office staff what's going on in town next time you plan a visit with us.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon. Until then, best regards,

Reviewed 3 April 2013

This is my 3rd stay in this hotel. Rooms are nice, well equipped and good size. House keeping does a great job too.

Location is very good, whether you have a car or not. Walking distance from the Train station and the mall.

The only issue is internet. Only one there is wifi in some of the rooms and no matter what, is not free. It is actually very expensive.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are bigger. Close to elevator or long walk
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Marcela C

Dear Marcela C,
Thank you for sharing your impressions of the Crowne Plaza Hannover on Tripadvisor. We very much appreciate your positive feedback, especially the 5 stars awarded to the quality of sleep, one of the hallmarks of the Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage.
In the meantime, WiFi has been provided in all guest rooms and we offer a variety of rates based on the length of time you would like to use this service. Additionally, we provide two workstations in the hotel lobby where the use of the internet, printing facilites etc. are offered complimentary.
We are happy to hear that you visited us three times already and look forward to welcoming you again soon! Until then, all the best from Hannover,

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Beautiful weather, clean city, good place for 2 days stay, hotel Crowne Plaza is lovely, neat and clean property in the centre of the city. All lively areas are nearby rather around the hotel. Minimum Walking distance to shopping, train, airport etc.

Room Tip: Very difficult to reach Hannover if international traveller.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Hannan-Asif
Dorothea R, Assistant to General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Hannover, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Dear Hanan-Asif,
Thank you for your positive review of your recent visit to the Crowne Plaza Hannover. We especially enjoyed your favorable comments on cleanliness and the quality of sleep: the Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage is one of the hallmarks of our brand and it's great to hear from our guests that they appreciate the efforts we put into this program.
We look forward to welcoming you again whenever your travels put Hannover on the agenda.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

The Crowne Plaza Hannover Schweizerhof is a 5-10 minute walk from the north entrance of Hannover Hauphtbahnhof and is in a quiet residential area. We booked a standard room but being Platinum Priority Club members we were upgraded to a Corner Junior suite on the 3rd Floor.

The room was very spacious if dated and had a wonderfully comfortable King Bed. There was a large writing desk in between two reasonably sized wardrobes where one contained two bathrobes and slippers and the other housed an iron/ironing board and safe. There was a small table and two chairs, tea/coffee facilities and a mini bar. Also there was a welcome tray of fruit and chocolates and complimentary sparkling water which was replenished on the second day.

There was a comfortable two seat leather sofa and a large flat screen TV with almost 150 domestic and international channels together with about 75 radio stations. The bathroom was on the small size but came with a good range of toiletries, two sinks, a large bath and a powerful but fairly temperamental shower.

We had breakfast on two occasions and although quite expensive there was a selection of cold cuts, cereals, bread and pastries, hot items could be ordered from the waitress and then brought to the table. On the first night we had a room service meal which arrived within 15 minutes and was very tasty.

An excellent hotel with efficient staff and very close to the city and Hauptbahnhof connections.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paullegate
Reviewed 15 December 2012

This is hotel is fine for a one night stay. The Crowne Plaza was an excellent value. All of the employees were friendly and effecient. The food and drinks in the restaurant were enjoyable. The room was clean, but needing new carpet and an updated look. My biggest concern is the lack of wifi availability in the guest rooms.
This would not prevent me from returning. Hannover, while a lovely city, appears to lack any better hotel choices.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dorothea R, Assistant to General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Hannover, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2012

Dear Travelkevin,
Thank you for your positive feedback on your recent hotel stay at the Crowne Plaza Hannover. We appreciate especially the comments on our friendly staff and the five stars on location, value for money, sleep quality, cleanliness and service.
In reference to the lack of WiFi in your room, this is an issue that we are aware of and we are currently working on alternatives to the current wired system.
We look forward to welcoming you again next time you plan to visit Hannover.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

I chose this place for 2 reasons. 1 - its downtown location and 2 it's one of many of the big chain hotels that I have a loyalty card for. I wouldn't stay here again by choice. Here's why...

First of all, let's get the good bits out of the way. The location is good if, like me, you want to be able to wander around the shops and bars of the city at night and not have to mess around with public transport. It's maybe 7 or 8 minutes walk from the central rail station. Next, the staff were all very pleasant and helpful - everyone that I came into contact with from reception to bar staff and others - were smiling and helpful. Well done to the management and the whole team - it's not every hotel that achieves that.

But I'm struggling now to think of some more positives. I actually didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the restaurant but anyone who chooses one of these types of hotels for the food must be no connoisseur in any case, because they are generally not noted for their cuisine.

So what didn't I like about it? Well, as I've put in the title, the place is somewhat dated and rather dull. I booked online and ordered a room with King size bed. When I checked in I was told that I'd been upgraded to a Junior Suite! (Fantastic !! but why?).

I travel the world enough to know that this line is usually corporate bull. It usually means that because they aren't full they are going to give me a slightly better room than the hell-hole I chose online so that I may go away with a more positive impression of the place. Well, they did and I didn't.

As I walked along the corridor to my room I felt slightly depressed before I got there. The horrible colour scheme - the pinky maroon and grey corporate colours - and the long cold corridors. It felt very unwelcoming. The I reached my "junior suite".

I opened the door and my first impressions was that this was just a standard double room. Except it had a desk at one end! A "suite" to me usually means more than one room, sometimes a little lounge or kitchenette - but at Crowne Plaza Hannover it doesn't mean that at all. It means - we'll stick a desk in there as well.

I mean, the room wasn't even particularly big. No bigger than a bog standard room at most business hotels. And the toilet and bathroom - were very VERY small - especially the toilet.

I've never seen such a strange design where you have a toilet and bathroom separated by a block of wall - both tiny little rooms. I'm not exaggerating when I say that you almost have to walk sideways to get into the toilet - it was that small. Oh and btw - I'm not a big fattie in case anyone is wondering.

The bed in the room was nowhere near King size - it was more like 2 singles pushed together. It didn't even have one King size duvet on it. It was 2 singles. Which is LESS than I ordered not more.

It did have a window which opens - which I like because I hate stuffy congested centrally heated rooms. Mind you, I kept if firmly shut during my stay because it wasn't so warm outside. In fact, it wasn't so warm inside either. The room was actually quite cold and you can only adjust the thermostat down, not up. (There's a little note on it to say if you want more heat turn the radiator up - not that it made any difference).

The materials for the furniture were like something out of the 1970's - the room replete with net curtains.

I couldn't help thinking to myself - thank God I don't have to spend any time in here! And I didn't.

I enjoyed a couple of drinks in the bar downstairs - although this too is rather small and a bit dated. But I spent as little time in the hotel as I possibly could.

And I'd recommend you do the same.

I don't think Hannover is blessed with many good hotels from what I've seen. I think there's one or two more of the big chain places, like Sheraton, in town - I doubt if they'd be much different really. There's no Marriott or Hilton - which I'd probably have chosen in preference to Crowne Plaza if there was as they are generally a cut above the CP brand.

So, next time I think I'll put my loyalty card away and stay in one of the private hotels when I come here. For 150 Euro's, or thereabouts, I think I could do better.

Room Tip: Go and check the room out first before you commit. Watch out for tiny toilets!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TheRealDerbyTup

Dear TheRealDerbyTub,
We appreciate your detailed review and thank you for sharing your very personal impressions of the Crowne Plaza Hannover on Tripadvisor. We regret to hear that you did not appreciate your room upgrade the way we hoped you would. Your experience seems to be a classic example for a gesture that is well meant but not necessarily well done.
Also, we are very sorry that you let your experience of hotel restaurants guide you when you decided not to eat in our restaurant. You would have been in for a pleasant surprise which might have changed your overall impression a little bit.
Come again next time you travel to Hannover and we'd like to prove that in spite of your recent experience you are in good hands with us.