“Good restaurant but dated hotel”

Leonardo Hotel Wolfsburg City Center
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Wolfsburg
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good restaurant but dated hotel”
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We loved food in the bar as the restaurant was closed that night, but we received a fantastc service from the waier who worked in that hotel for long time named schulc( not too sure sorry) . Our filet mignons were superb. Kids menue was very impresive as well. Would come back for the food and bar service back!! Hotel was dated. We went to swimming pool and there was a beer party in sauna which put us off so havent used that facility.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I was here for one night only for the conclusion of the Movimentos festival held in Wolfsburg. The hotel is about 15-20 min walk from Wolfsburg Hauptbahnhof through the centre of Wolfsburg. The property is situated south of the city, there is a Bavarian restaurant very close to the hotel (Paulaner Botschoft) which was very good.

The hotel is good, admittedly some parts of the room look slightly dated, but you can not upgrade rooms all the time? Rooms were very clean, spacious and very comfortable bed. For one night, I could not ask for much more. Check-in took slightly longer than expected, with no rooms available at that time (at 14:45 on a Sunday afternoon) but the reception staff took charge of the situation, I was asked to be seated at the lobby and within 5-10 minutes there was a room available. The situation was well handled by the staff and they were always courteous.

As others have pointed out in the review, the Wi-Fi is not free, but for one night this was no big deal, I simply used my Data connection on my German mobile. Remember that people do not usually visit Wolfsburg for pleasure, it's the HQ of VW and hotels are looking to make profit from the business guests, that is fair to say.

The bar was good and was happily surprised that at 1am on a Sunday night (Monday morning) it was still open and with my friend we enjoyed one last beer before sleeping. Never took breakfast, since my train was relatively early next morning and I grabbed something at the station.

Wolfsburg does not have too many choices for hotels and if I ever come back to Wolfsburg to stay, this will be the first hotel I will check. Recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The hotel itself is a credit to the Holiday Inn chain. A good bar with a good selection of drinks and a good atmosphere. The restaurant looked good (although it was not used by this reviewer). The breakfast was very good with a wide selection of the normal continental buffet cold meats, cheeses, as well as yoghurts, fruit, cereals and hot food.
The bedroom was very good and comfortable with a good bed. The bathroom had Dove dispensers for cleanser and shampoo rather than little soap bars and small bottles.
The disappointment was the wi-fi. The last Holiday Inn I was at had slow free wi-fi which was OK for emails, and chargeable fast broadband for streaming. Holiday Inn Wolfsburg only has the expensive charged connection - where the minimum fee was €5 for 1 hour. They could do something like make the first 30 or 60 minutes free, and then charge.
I can thoroughly recomment a visit to VW Autostadt while you are there. It was worth the admission to watch the car park towers in operation.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I took my partner on a short trip out to Wolfsburg basically so he could stare at cars for 3 days, there was no way I could afford the Ritz Carlton so the Holiday Inn seemed to the safe choice.

It was clean, the staff were friendly but it really could do with a spruce and a bit of modernisation. I was a little annoyed by the bed situation, I booked a queen bed and got what appeared to be two doubles each with a duvet cover that barely covered the bed; I called the reception and asked for a bigger duvet only to be told that was the biggest! It didn't matter anyway as the beds appeared very old and soft and my partner spent both nights sleeping on the floor due to getting a bad back; I however can sleep anywhere so it didn't really bother me.

We didn't eat in the restaurant but did have one drink in the bar; bar staff seemed friendly and the drinks weren't too expensive.

Internet access said on the website it was only 7Euro but it turned out to be a lot more, so no communication with the outside world for us!

I've stayed in much better for less than the 85Euros a night but as another reviewer mentioned there aren't many places to choose from.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GemsG
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Wolfsburg City Center, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Dear GemsG,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness and our staff.

However, We’re sorry about the bed size confusion and the internet access charges. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
sarajevo
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Hotel is good, nice location, service OK. However, this is business hotel and it is ridiculous that you have to pay such a high charges for internet. During the stay there was a very noisy group of Germans, and it was impossible to sleep before midnight.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank aidasba
Lausanne
Reviewed 15 September 2012

A disappointing stay in a slightly run-down hotel. The bathroom faucets were missing the finishings and a few other fixtures were damaged / missing. The staff were OK, but when I showed them my Priority Club number on my phone, without typing it in, they said it wasn't one (=more work for them to type it in?)! I double checked it on my computer and I was correct. One of my colleagues was charged EUR 9.60 for a bottle of water. Front desk gets stymied when more than two people show up to check in or check out. But the biggest insult of all was the Internet, which they charge EUR 17.00 per DAY for. Come on, guys, not gaining a lot of good will with business travelers there!

Room Tip: Don't know, mine on the 1st floor was not very good, faced the front with large neon signs on al...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Wolfsburg City Center, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Dear ctinct,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Member and taking the time to write our hotel a review. I am glad that you found our location satisfactory for your needs. Please accept my sincerest apology if your stay was negatively affected by some amenities not working during your stay.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Wolfsburg hotels

Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in September for the local half marathon in September,which was ideally situated at the start and finish were less than a 5minute walk
The hotel is at the far end of the pedestrianised street where there are restaurants,bakeries,banks,shops,etc.The reception and the front of the hotel is facing residential houses so is quiet,but there is local traffic during the busy times of the day.
The hotel is nice and clean,it just felt as though it could do with brightening up.I cant honestly say it was very good but was better than average.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful
The rooms were very spacious,pleasantly decorated,which large windows that opened.The bed and pillows were so comfortable.No kettle or safe,but the info said there were deposit boxes free of charge in reception.The room was very quiet,which we had asked for
The bathroom had a full size bath
There was a free indoor swimming pool and sauna.I used the pool once,it is only small and the whole area felt dated.The sauna wasnt even on.So if you plan to use it make sure its on 1st
Outside of the main restaurant there are some wooden tables and chairs.which I just sat in,in the sun

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple