The Ritz-Carlton, Wolfsburg
Global Inn(Wolfsburg)
Porsche Hotel(Wolfsburg)
  • Pool
1,007 results
All reviewsthe ritz carltonoutdoor poolclub floorvw factorypower stationterra restaurantvalet parkingaqua restauranthigh qualityluxury hotelheated floorsworld classan executive suitepower plantperfect serviceamazing hoteltheme park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I stayed in this hotel several times over the years and I still like most of the features of this property. The building and its setting are really outstanding, having the entrance fee for the Autostadt included is an extra plus. Front desk staff and parking service are efficient, friendly and helpful. The rooms are all spacious and well equipped, the beds are of great quality as well. Nothing to complain about regarding the bathrooms. Only negative about the rooms is the atmosphere, which is a bit “cool”. I personally like the “water view” rooms a bit more than those at the other side of the building but this is a question of personal taste.
The heated outdoor pool, which is integrated in the “harbour basin”, is absolute unique and not to be missed – only the rest of the “spa” (like sauna and steam bath) is a bit small and could be better.
Breakfast is not cheap but still offers good value for money as the variety of food and beverages is vast and at a high quality level.
The hotel bar offers a nice drink and snack selection, even if it is a bit too expensive for my personal taste – the summer terrace is a place to lounge for hours in summer, anyway.
The 3 Michelin star restaurant is one of the best in Germany but again a bit too expensive, especially as the wine list is not as extraordinary as it could be expected.
Even if the overall service level of the hotel staff is very good I would tend to agree with other reviewers that staff is generally attentive but it lacks a bit in charme and “personal touch”.
I will certainly come back to this hotel when visiting football matches or the Autostadt, even if my impression is that the hotel keeps becoming more and more expensive over the years.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I've stayed at many of the hotels in Wolfsburg while on business with VW. The Ritz is 10 times better than any of the others, at least.

First, it's a Ritz, so the staff, rooms, restaurant, in-room amenities, service, etc. are all exceptional. Beds are soft, sheets are high-quality (love the heated bathroom floor...)

If you'd like to visit the Autostadt, the Ritz is integrated into the grounds...and your entrance to the park is included with your stay at the hotel.

My only negative is that you have to PAY for Wifi. I'm still baffled how budget hotels can offer internet for free, while high-priced places like the Ritz still make you pay. Seems silly and unnecessary. I guess most travellers are on an "expense account" and don't mind billing their company. Well, I do.

Aside from that, you should stay here. It's a great hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Naturally, the hotel looks great and has great facilities as you would expect. It is the staff who make it extra special. There always seemed to be a large number of staff everywhere, who clearly believed that their role was to ensure guest are happy and comfortable. Throroughly recommmend. Breakfast not quite as good as you would expect, but there is nothing else in the immediate area.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We stayed one night in a two-beds room located on the third floor.
Positive factors:
- personnel extremely careful and helpful, quick in response to any request
- comfortable room though not too spacious
- room temperature and humidity very good adjusted, ventilation system actually inaudible
- large bathroom with surprisingly a very good lighting
- very nice and high quality bed sheets, down comforter and pillows
- a lot of storage space and lightened wardrobe with plenty of coat hangers (including the "soft" ones for delicate shirts or suits)
- Washable headboard coating for the beds: a very very important detail for me
- slippers and bathrobe, a lot of towels of high quality cotton
- the SPA is nice, clean with a very relaxing atmosphere, the outdoor pool with water at 29 degrees is quite stunning: swimming late in the evening was an experience I'd suggest, despite the outside temperature (-2 degrees!)
- nice breakfast buffet, extra wishes are welcome and satisfied

Negatives:
- no welcome drink (was it forgotten? No idea, we did not ask of course but we were quite surprised)
- Internet connection to pay: unacceptable for a stay which is never less than 200-250 euro per night
- no iron/ironing board in the wardrobe
- no coffee machine in the room
- bed mattress definitely too soft (it made my night very uncomfortable, I woke up several times and had a slight back ache for the rest of the day)
- restaurant "The Gril": all very nice and good but avoid vegetarian dishes (just some steamed can vegetables, while grilling some red, green or yellow peppers, eggplants and zucchini with some red radicchio, served with a good fleur de sel and Italian olive oil would justify the very high price of that dish instead... other than giving a wonderful result), coffee not good, and in general prices a bit too high
- the lounge area with the fireplace is very nice after dinner but please, suggest your waitresses to wear shoes that don't thunder around while walking, disturbing a quite relaxing atomospnere...

In he end, nice experience for sure: however too many extras that tend to raise a lot a price per se already quite high. Some of the things I listed among what I didn't like, are actually included in several hotels even with less stars.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank alessio69
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I assume the primary reason anyone would stay in Wolfsburg is for the VW Autostadt. If this is the case for you, the Ritz Carlton is the only place worth staying. I had no idea how well integrated the RC was to the Autostadt itself. It is a RC and the price is hefty (much higher than I would normally ever consider paying), but you will get your moneys worth, for the most part. The staff was excellent (English speaking, and even willing to listen to my bad German), everything was spotlessly clean and as I said before, the location is unbeatable. Simply walk outside the doors and you are in the Autostadt (in fact, the price of the Autostadt is included in your hotel stay). You will have a great view of the water show in the evening as well. The breakfast is also a great way to start the day (they knew our names by the second day!).

My two complaints: I did not find the mattress of the bed to be particularly comfortable. It was not uncomfortable, but I expected more for the price. Also, WIFI is not free. It is amazing to me that a hotel that costs what the RC does would still charge for WIFI access (it is a business hotel after all!). I stayed in six hotels all over Germany, rural and urban, not a single one cost half what the RC did and they all offered free WIFI.

My wife and I look back at Wolfsburg as one of our fondest memories in Germany and the RC played a large role in this. It was worth the premium price.

NOTE If you are driving to the RC in Wolfsburg: I drove a Mercedes E Class to Wolfsburg from Berlin, with an excellent Sat Nav. When we got to Wolfsburg it appeared to stop working. When you approach the RC you will enter a roundabout and take the second exit, which looks like a sidewalk, it is also a road. You will drive past the two glass car cylinders and approach the RC. We arrived in the dark and there were a lot of people walking to the water show. A little confusing, but easy to figure out.

Room Tip: I assume all rooms have an "autostadt" view considering the shape of the hotel, but ask just in case. It was nice to look out at night and see the illuminated park.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple