“Amazing tour!”

Friends of Dave Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Friends of Dave Tours is a high quality tour service that provides exciting day tours in Warnemünde to visiting cruise guests. We are very proud of our consistent high ratings and we consider our tour customers our friends. There is nothing better than sharing people's vacations and creating long lasting memories together.
Austin, TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing tour!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

After we booked our Baltic cruise we started researching for excursions. We decided we did not want to take the train to Berlin and waste (6ish hours of our day). Somehow I came across the Schwerin Castle in my search and found a blog with instructions on how to take the trains and get there yourself. After some further research I came across Friends of Dave tour and his rave reviews sold me! We booked the Magical Meklenburg Warnemunde & Schwerin tour (there were 9 of us in our group). Dave met us at the cruise terminal and we began our walking tour of Warnemunde. I'm so glad this was part of the tour because without Dave we would not have been able to explore this little town and learn so much about its history. After our tour and stop for coffee/coffee cake we hopped on the train to Schwerin (with a train change in Rostock). I am so glad we decided not to do this on our own because we don't speak German and this is not an "Americanized" part of Germany. The tour of Schwerin was great - very educational and interesting. Our German lunch was fantastic!! Dave is extremely knowledgeable and very personable. He definitely cares about the area and its history and wants his guests to be immersed in the great culture. There is a lot of walking on this specific tour but it's so worth it. If you are thinking about taking one of his tours - stop and book it now!!

Visited May 2013
6 Thank KateT1023

Bartlett, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Friends of Dave, Andreas the Guide”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Unforturnately Dave could not do the tour we signed up for, however Andreas did do the tour and was excellent. His passion for his home town of Warnemunde and birthplace in Rostock was amazing. Would recommend in a heartbeat. Much better than a long train ride to Berlin and back.

Hudson Valley, NY
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Straddling the Wall”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I knew I wanted to book the Friends of Dave tour after reading the many excellent reviews. Both my husband and I did not want to travel the distance from the port to Berlin. After several emails to Dave he suggested the Straddling Wall tour as it would be less strenuous for my husband who tires easily. It was a great suggestion.
Andreas our guide met us and one other couple from Celebrity Eclipse at the dock. We walked around Wernemunde for a few hours while Andreas explained the history of the town and what it was like to live in the area during the cold war. He then took us to a coffee and pastry shop where we had delicious baked goods and coffee.
After this break the other couple parted and we headed by train to Rostock. We toured the area, Andreas showing us the University, several churches and telling stories about his life. He responded to questions my husband asked without any hesitation and with full knowledge.
One thing I must say is he took us to a wonderful German restaurant where we had the most delicious sauerkraut we have ever eaten. When I mentioned this to him and wanted to know how it was made he asked the waitress. She told him they use a starter which I never heard off. From there he took us to a grocery where I purchased the product. I made it the first day home and it was good but not as good as the restaurants. Thank you Andreas for this.
This was a wonderful educational tour and Andreas was excellent. All eating expenses were paid by the tour.

2 Thank dist2ms
Calgary, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Wonderful Tour”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I booked this tour a long time ago and because of that I was able to pick the tour that our group was able to take. Plus we got Dave as out tour guide. We meet Dave out on the dock from the cruise ship on the 11th of August. And right from there we started to have fun.
He is what ever one says in there reviews. He cares about the tour he gives his guests. His knowledge of the area and history is amazing. What I really liked was we all had an ear set so you did not have to strain to hear him. It was a full day tour around Warmemunde and Schwerin which are both very interesting and pretty. He takes very good care of his guests makes sure we were all together all the time. Two of our friends both had bad ankles but he always made sure they were OK. Lunch was great more like a full main course for dinner. And beer even better.
And yes Dave,if you are reading this we could see you out on your Balcony waving us off as we left port. Plus another highlight was we got to meet Ricks Steve's who was waiting at the cruise ship to meet Dave.

Raleigh, North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Excellent Tour with Andreas”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The six of us booked the Straddling The Wall tour with Friends of Dave in August. Andreas met us at the dock as we left the Emerald Princess. He is a resident of Warnemunde and has years of experience living in the small sea port and beach town. We toured Warnemunde for several hours hearing about the early history of the town and how the town as been effected by its larger neighbor Rostock. He described life and living conditions behind the wall. After a 28 minute train and tram ride we arrived in Rostock. Again we tour the high points of the city. Included in the tour was an authentic German meal at Leon's. For me, the highlight of the tour was our guide Andreas. Over coffee and sweets in Warnemunde, he told stories of his personal life under the government of East Germany. Several stories touched our hearts but the story of how he lost his toy tractor and wagon will always be remembered. His story of waiting in line after school is another keeper. His love of his home is evident and it shows in an excellent tour.

1 Thank fig_mar