“Warnemunde & Wismar with Dave”

Friends of Dave Tours
Ranked #1 of 9 Tours in Warnemunde
More attraction details
Owner description: Friends of Dave Tours is a high quality tour service that provides exciting day tours in Warnemünde to visiting cruise guests. We are very proud of our consistent high ratings and we consider our tour customers our friends. There is nothing better than sharing people's vacations and creating long lasting memories together.
Goldsboro, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Warnemunde & Wismar with Dave”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We cruised the Baltic & took all independent tours based on reviews by
previous cruisers. If you don't tour with Dave in Germany then you have definitely missed out on an amazing experience. tour was part walking &
we even had a train ride to Wismar. Dave is sooo full of historical info, anecdotes & amusing stories;a delight & since we only had 12 in our group the tour was so personalized. a rest stop for pastry & coffee let
everyone get to know each other better & we had lunch at an old brewery
We could not have asked for a better excursion; so reasonable ($) too
Even the July weather was a gift that day..80's

Visited July 2013
2 Thank maggie M

Arlington, Virginia
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Straddling the Wall Tour with Andreas is fantastic!!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We signed up for the tour with Andreas because it looked like a nice experience for several reasons. Like many who visit Warnemunde, it is because it is a cruise ship stop. We never seriously considered the long trip to Berlin, so we reviewed different tour options in the local area. Friends of Dave Tours consistently get very high ratings. We specifically chose Andreas's tour because it is very local tour, instead of some of Dave's longer tours. Also, for us, the most appealing thing about Andreas' tour was to get some exposure to Cold War history during our trip. Most of the other standard tours on a Baltic cruise focus on the 18th and 19th centuries, especially in St. Petersburg, so this tour was a very nice change of flavor.

Andreas is extremely bright and has a very good command of the history of the local area. Also, he can share his own experiences as an East German citizen and experiencing the fall of the Berlin Wall as a young man. Of course, during the tour of Rostock and Warnemunde you learn about other historical periods beyond the Cold War, but we personally found this to be an interesting element.

To be clear and to manage expectations, Warnemunde and Rostock are relatively small, quiet places, so don't expect extremely impressive buildings or museums like in a major city. However, this was a very enjoyable day. Also, we were in a small group and enjoyed the company of our fellow tourists as well as Andrea's experience.

Visited July 2013
6 Thank Arlington7175
Austin, TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing tour!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

After we booked our Baltic cruise we started researching for excursions. We decided we did not want to take the train to Berlin and waste (6ish hours of our day). Somehow I came across the Schwerin Castle in my search and found a blog with instructions on how to take the trains and get there yourself. After some further research I came across Friends of Dave tour and his rave reviews sold me! We booked the Magical Meklenburg Warnemunde & Schwerin tour (there were 9 of us in our group). Dave met us at the cruise terminal and we began our walking tour of Warnemunde. I'm so glad this was part of the tour because without Dave we would not have been able to explore this little town and learn so much about its history. After our tour and stop for coffee/coffee cake we hopped on the train to Schwerin (with a train change in Rostock). I am so glad we decided not to do this on our own because we don't speak German and this is not an "Americanized" part of Germany. The tour of Schwerin was great - very educational and interesting. Our German lunch was fantastic!! Dave is extremely knowledgeable and very personable. He definitely cares about the area and its history and wants his guests to be immersed in the great culture. There is a lot of walking on this specific tour but it's so worth it. If you are thinking about taking one of his tours - stop and book it now!!

Visited May 2013
6 Thank KateT1023
Bartlett, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Friends of Dave, Andreas the Guide”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Unforturnately Dave could not do the tour we signed up for, however Andreas did do the tour and was excellent. His passion for his home town of Warnemunde and birthplace in Rostock was amazing. Would recommend in a heartbeat. Much better than a long train ride to Berlin and back.

Visited August 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Straddling the Wall”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I knew I wanted to book the Friends of Dave tour after reading the many excellent reviews. Both my husband and I did not want to travel the distance from the port to Berlin. After several emails to Dave he suggested the Straddling Wall tour as it would be less strenuous for my husband who tires easily. It was a great suggestion.
Andreas our guide met us and one other couple from Celebrity Eclipse at the dock. We walked around Wernemunde for a few hours while Andreas explained the history of the town and what it was like to live in the area during the cold war. He then took us to a coffee and pastry shop where we had delicious baked goods and coffee.
After this break the other couple parted and we headed by train to Rostock. We toured the area, Andreas showing us the University, several churches and telling stories about his life. He responded to questions my husband asked without any hesitation and with full knowledge.
One thing I must say is he took us to a wonderful German restaurant where we had the most delicious sauerkraut we have ever eaten. When I mentioned this to him and wanted to know how it was made he asked the waitress. She told him they use a starter which I never heard off. From there he took us to a grocery where I purchased the product. I made it the first day home and it was good but not as good as the restaurants. Thank you Andreas for this.
This was a wonderful educational tour and Andreas was excellent. All eating expenses were paid by the tour.

Visited August 2013