“Small restaurant, tasty food”

Kolumbianisches Restaurant Karibik
Ranked #52 of 600 Restaurants in Aachen
Cuisines: Colombian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I took my parents to Karibik as we’d never tried it and it was something different to the usual Greek, Turkish or Chinese places in town when I come to visit Aachen.

The place is relatively small but when we entered we were greeted by the lady in the kitchen with a welcoming ‘Ola!’ The restaurant filled up within an hour of opening and we were glad we’d managed to get a table early. Anticipating generous portions we shared a plate of Yuca Frita and a couple of Empanadas. The waitress came to the tables to ask whether each guest wanted a house salad which was free of charge. It was a fresh and crisp salad served with a delicious sweet dressing. The starters were followed by grilled meat platter, argentine steak and fish stew. The food was tasty and plentiful. We were too stuffed to even contemplate dessert.

Only cons for me was that they didn’t take credit cards or I can’t remember whether they said it was broken – but other than that I would come back, if not just to try out more of the starters and eat them tapas style and then try the tres leches dessert :-)

Reviewed 10 June 2013

My wife and I came here, because we were looking for something different - neither one of us ever had Columbian food. The restaurant is really small, only about 8 tables for 30+ guests. Seems to be frequented mostly by students, when we were there.

The food was was nice, something with a different flavor profile and you do get a lot of food for the money. Especially the apps are great, as you can get them at 1-2€ a piece to try out. We had the argentine steak with potatos and creole sauce plus the "columbian" platter, with ground chuck, small ribs, sausage, beans and rice. Seems to be pretty authentic and not really "Germanized", so a nice change.

The bad part was the main waiter, a grumpy middle-aged man, who did not even check on us, when there was all but 7 people in the resaurant. We wanted to have some more sauce, and he never came once after delivering the food.

I would try it out for the food and not the service or ambience...

Reviewed 9 May 2013

We've been to this restaurant a few times now. And I must say the food is absolutely delicious, and very different from what you can usually find in cities. Everything is very tasty, very well cooked, and you can almost taste the love that is put into it.

But on the other hand, the older man serving food is well, not friendly at all. He was never really friendly but the 3th time we visited this restaurant (We keep comming back because of the food, not the owner) and we brought 2 friends with us he was VERY unfriendly. To make a long story short, he would have rather seen us leave and go eat somewhere else than give us a table and let us enjoy a dinner, very, very akward.

So don't expect any friendlyness, but do expect great original food for decent prices, also try all the starters, they all delicous (And cost like 1€ and 2€ so order them all!)

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I went last saturday and I asked for a "bandeja paisa" and it was delicious. It had all the ingredients, pork, sausage, fried egg, rice,beans, avocado, arepa, patacones and picadillo. The service was excellent, I definitively plan to go back again.Please, keep in mind that colombian portions are huge compare with Europe.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

We have been at Karibik after a long day at the thermal spring. The restaurant is a bit off the city center but within walking distance.

Karibik offers only colombian food. The menu is full of real colombian dishes - starters, mains and deserts. The interior is a bit inelegant, it reminded me to a typical german inn: wooden tables and chairs.

Nevertheless, the service is very good, the owner is very nice, speaks spanish and german, the food was great and the real colombian coffee as well! The eating utensils/plates are really different: e.g. the coconut rice is served in a coconut shell.

All in all very tasty experince and when one's eyes rather stay focused on the dishes than on the atmosphere, you will enjoy your visit very much!

I definitely can recommend Karibik!