Hotel Stadtnah
US$146
Mercure
  • Pool
Ibis Styles Aachen City(Aachen)(Great Value!)
US$87
US$82
ibis Styles
  • Breakfast included
US$137
  • Restaurant
Mercure Hotel Aachen Europaplatz(Aachen)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$81
US$170
US$158
  • Breakfast included
Art Hotel Aachen Superior(Aachen)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$189
US$150
Travelocity
  • Pool
Ibis Aachen Marschiertor(Aachen)(Great Value!)
US$81
US$78
  • Restaurant
US$112
US$106
Travelocity
  • Room Service
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 March 2013

A very mixed-bag hotel. Let me start off with the positives.
The rooms are what you'd expect from a budget hotel. You get a bed (two twins together, if you're staying in a double), clean room, TV, and personal bathroom. The decorations are basic, and they won't win any awards for interior design. Again, it's just a budget hotel.
Breakfast was quite nice. You get a decent sized German breakfast buffet, which I thought was rather good. It certainly surpassed my expectations.
The location, if you're coming by train, is excellent. If walking away from the station, just walk across the street, past a small park area, and head to the left. No more than 5 minutes walk.

And now for the downs.
The service ladies could be quite brusque. I was not particularly pleased with the way they addressed us and found myself a bit annoyed to interact with them again. They seemed impatient most of the time, and their attitudes during breakfast made it seem like our mere presence was ruining their day. I realize it's morning and few people are happy, but you don't have to take it out on your customers. To their credit, they did help us out with getting into our room a bit early, but I wouldn't count on them addressing your needs in a respectable fashion. Also, only one of the ladies spoke decent English, if that matters to you.
The bathroom. While it's great that there's a personal bathroom, it was a bit lackluster. Most concerning was the shower. During my shower, I happened to glance up at the ceiling, more specifically, the insulation between the ceiling boards, and found it to be covered in a black substance.
Common sense has me believe that this was mold. But, I'm still trying to convince myself that it wasn't. Well, no matter how much I try to think otherwise, I'm fairly certain that the shower ceiling is infested with black mold. It was scary, folks. Scary and unexpected.

Bottom line is that if you can look past the dastardly bathroom mold, it's an average place, with not very good service, but a nice breakfast and clean bedroom. But, the mold ruined it for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a bathroom without mold.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LukeBAR
Reviewed 9 February 2013

We were originally booked at another hotel (having discounted Stadtnah because it did not have an elevator) Three days before our visit (and with limited internet access) we got an email from Bookings.com informing us of a problem with our booked hotel and a suggestion that we could stay at the Stadtnah. Without time to research this thoroughly I accepted their organisation. The room we ended up with was clean but with very dated décor. The main problem was that since we wanted a smoking room we had to schlep our bags up 2 very steep flights of stairs – something I had definitely not wanted to do – which is why I didn’t pick this hotel originally (my OH is recovering from a broken knee). The lady on reception was friendly and spoke good enough English to help us with directions etc. This hotel is in a very convenient location (directly opposite the railway station) and there are plenty of bars, restaurants & bakeries nearby.

Room Tip: smoking rooms are up several flights of very steep stairs - no elevator
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2012

The hotel is in front of the main train station and it is very good. The rooms are comfortables and clean, but not very wide, specially the bathroom. The staff didn't talk any language than german, but was helpfull anyway.
There is no elevator!!
Anyway, the price is good to stay 1 or 2 nights.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2012

One of the first hotels you will see when exiting the main train station in Aachen, which makes it very practical. You can reach the old town within 7 to 10 minutes on foot. They have single rooms (the one I stayed in) which are inexpensive, comfortable and clean. Good quality of sleep, the hotel was not noisy at all. The one and only drawback that I found was that the water off the shower did not get very warm at all...
People working there and in the nearby hotel am Hauptbahnhof were really nice. Free wi-fi.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The hotel is located in close proximity to the train station which is very convenient. Perhaps, this is the only thing to which I had no claims. Everything else was not so positive. I arrived late, at the reception desk was empty. I found a note in which it was written that I must contact the reception desk of a neighbouring hotel. Fortunately, that they are next door... The hotel does not have elevator. Lift heavy things up the stairs very uncomfortable. The furniture in the room is old, though the room is quite spacious. Due to poor sound insulation is hard to fall asleep at night. Internet speed is very slow. I definitely made a mistake with the choice of this hotel, wanting to save money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business