“Go by train”

Ranked #34 of 41 Hotels in Aachen
Sweden
“Go by train”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Excellent location opposite Aachen Hauptbahnhof - Partnering with Hotel Am Bahnhof in the next building (check-in) Somewhat anonymous interior, clean good sized room (smokefree) and bathroom . Excellent TV. Generous breakfast buffet. No elevator.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Seattle
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed two nights in Aachen though I need to come back to Germany someday soon. This hotel on a map appeared to be very close to the city center (the shopping and historic section of the city) it was about 7 blocks away but across the street from the hotel. The manager owns two hotels next to each other, we went to the one next door to check in. Upon arrival we inquired about any Christmas stores in the area. She said maybe far away but the location is not on the train route. We said we like to collect Christmas ornaments from countries we visit. So had a good time in Aachen and on our last morning as we ate breakfast, the lady manager gave us one of her Santa figurines. She wasn't sure if it was made in Germany but she was German so it covered that. It was very kind of her and greatly appreciated. The room was good, clean and small. There was no elevator and there were several locked doors to get through to the reach your room. Her act of generosity and kindness made the hotel stay for us.

Room Tip: Go the hotel next door to check in.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Amorgos, Greece
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We made our reservation through booking.com, so we already had an idea of how the hotel and the rooms looked like (because of the photos and the comments). We usually chose 2- star hotels or simple accommodation guesthouses. The hotel is very close to the Railway station. We stayed here for a very short stay, only 2 nights. Our room was comfortable, heating was good, the matress was very good and the bathroom was very clean. The Breakfast is also very good. The Wi-Fi signal was OK, not the best but reliable- I have to say we have found worse Wi-Fi signal in other "higher class" hotels. The historic center of the beautiful city of Aachen is in a walking distance of about 10 - 15 minutes. As a conclusion I would say we've made a very good choice staying at "Stadtnah" hotel, we've had a good stay for less money. This hotel is not new and not recently renovated but -since we don't care about this-, we found everything we had been prommissed, cleaness and a very good value for money!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I feel compelled to share my experience, as I still feel totally appalled by the lack of customer care and service in this hotel.

I had notified the hotel that I would be arriving late in the evening, and on the day of my arrival I turned up at the hotel about 20 minutes later than I had anticipated. The male receptionist took my money and asked that I pay a 30 Euro deposit, and he assured me that it would be returned the next day.

The next morning I asked for my deposit. The woman who served me declined, and said that the price of my room had increased due to my late arrival, and that I would only receive a small amount of my deposit. I insisted that this was completely unreasonable, and she continued to talk over me and laugh to her colleague.

The receptionist slammed a fraction of my original deposit down on the counter, and proceeded to serve the next customer, whilst completely ignoring me.

I still cannot understand how such a prominent business opposite the main train station is allowed to get away with ripping people off. PLEASE DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
11 Thank Lynn12573

Travellers are raving about these Aachen hotels

Bærum, Norway
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We had booked an overnight stay, to reach the airport next morning, fresh and relaxed. According to the booking, the reception is open until midnight.

When our friends dropped us at quarter to midnight, the hotel had a sign in the window to contact the reception at the other hotel around the corner. The same sign was in the window around the corner to please contact Hotel Stadtnah. Nobody answers either phone.

My pregnant SO and I had to take an expensive taxi to the airport (no trains at midnight) and sleep on a bench.

Later, the hotel blatantly lied about us turning up too late, and refused a refund. Allegedly, they had a surveillance camera showing us arriving late - whose pictures could never be found when we asked for them.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank llreletll
Sioux Falls
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Location of this hotel really can't be beat; almost right across the street from the train station and only a 5-10 minute walk from the major tourist sites which are the Cathedral (Dom) and Rathaus. This city was founded in the 700s by Charlemagne. He died in 814 and his remains are interred in the Dom. Next year will be a banner year for the city as they celebrate the 1200th anniversary of Charlemagne's death and also display the four most precious relics in the Cathedral from 20 - 29 June, 2014. Hotel was very comfortable; internet worked well after I finally figured out how to get on it. Television included CNN International. There is no lift and the stairs are marble, which can be very slippery, and steep. So, ask for a lower floor if you are toting heavy luggage. We didn't buy the breakfast; looked at it and decided it was way overpriced. Reception seems always to be at the hotel around the corner and the only time it is open in the Stadtnah is in the morning for breakfast. Highly recommend Aachen and this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I've been to this hotel 4 or 5 times now over the last few years and have always found it to be an excellent value for the money. Other hotels in the area charge 15-20 euros more for the same type of room. The rooms are very clean and not really small like a lot of economy hotels in Europe. The rooms are basic but comfortable with nice enough furniture. The hotel is ALWAYS very quiet and you can get a good nights sleep. The maids do a good job and I've never had a problem with anything as far as maintenance, or security goes. When you arrive, you have to check in at the hotel around the corner to the right (I don't remember what it's called but there is a sign) and even that desk is not open 24 hours. There is no bar or restaurant in this hotel but there are lots of other places around to eat or drink. They do have a continental breakfast but it is not free (I think it's 6.50 euros) and I have had it and I don't think it is worth the money so I would just skip it and go buy something. The hotel is situated directly acrossed the street from the main train station in Aachen which has a bookstore, convenience store, drug store, bakery and a McDonalds in it. You can also catch the city bus and taxi right there too. If you wanted to take the bus to Maastricht, Netherlands, that bus stop is right in front of the train station too. The main attraction of Aachen to travelers (I think anyway) is the Dom and also the Charlemagne historical sights and that stuff is only a 2-3 kilometer walk from the hotel and it is very easy to find I think this place is probably rated about 2 1/2 stars and as long as you are not looking for a concierge or a swimming pool or a fitness room I would definitely give it a try

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo