“Christmas visit”

Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Aachen
Beccles, United Kingdom
“Christmas visit”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We have used this hotel on a number of occasions when visiting the Christmas market. It is very handily placed just off the autobahn so easy to find and easy to get away in the morning. The ambiance is more than of a business rather than holiday hotel but it is smart, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was a bit pricey but nevertheless was ample with a good choice. Lots of car parking. Reception staff friendly and helpful.The bus stop is just outside the hotel on the busy Krefelderstrasse and about 10 mins to centre. Cost e8 for a mini group ticket (4-5 people) Taxi cost is about e14.
All in all a good Holiday Inn.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Hungarian first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Room

The room we stayed in was clean and the beds were comfortable.  Decor is, I would say, from the 80's/90's but OK. The room was on the front onlooking the main duel carriageway but noise was not an issue. It had two double beds but was not cramped.

It appears to be set up more for the business traveller and expect to get tea/coffee, trouser press and SKY tv with pay channels.  You can also choose whether to have soft or firm pillows and duvets. There is no safe though.

Internet access is chargeable.

Reception/bar/restaurant Areas

These are tastefully designed and pleasant.  We only had breakfast here but they had a good selection of fresh fruit, hot and cold buffet and the usual breads, meats and cheeses.  All were nicely presented.

Although the staff numbers were small,  those that were working were always pleasant.

This is the second time we have used the hotel and would recommend it, especially if travelling through as the location is two minutes off the A4.

If you want something to eat outside the hotel and have a car then I can recommend a lovely little Italian     just inside Aachen centre: La Piazza. Just head straight into the centre and it can be found at the end of a no through road in Willy Brandt Platz 3-5 52062 Aachen. We ate here for €34 for the three of us.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Europe
Reviewed 31 December 2012

The hotel is ok and the rooms are clean. Breakfast is good, but the breakfast restaurant is quite small and very busy so it was difficult to find a seat.
If you compare value for money the room was too expensive, especially compared with other hotels I stayed before in Aachen.

Room Tip: Go for the superior rooms, they are more quiet than the standard rooms, but more expensive. Standard...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

It's not the cheapest in terms of overall value for money, and as a Platinum Priority Club member you still get to pay a lot for Internet access etc. The building itself is nothing exciting, rooms are comfortable as long as you are located at the back away from the road. Staff are friendly and welcoming which is the bit you finally remember as nothing else stands out as exceptionally good or bad in this functional but bland hotel.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Fontainebleau, France
Reviewed 2 October 2012

A clean, basic, business hotel. Dreadful food. Astronomical room rate and everything was an added extra incl. Internet & breakfast. However we had booked a partially flexible rate & there was an event on. It's on the outskirts of Aachen. The centre is a 5-10min drive.
I'd never choose to stay here but it was a business trip.
They have smoking room and entirely non-smoking floors.
Roads surround the hotel, it's very noisy even though we were on the 'quieter side'.
Energy saving storage heaters blast out mid-night. We we're sweltering in the small hours of the morning.
Very comfortable beds and a choice of pillow softness/hardness.
English speaking & very good staff.

Room Tip: Room 315 is non-smoking & on the 'quieter side'
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Aachen, responded to this review, 20 October 2012
Dear Henny P,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found our beds comfortable and the staff services were good. I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your room accommodations. Please accept our sincere apologies about the noise. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hopton on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

As a Platinum Royal Ambassador I always stay at Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza etc whilst travelling around the world on business. On this occasion I stayed for 10 nights. I was a little concerned at the reviews that were left by previous guests. However, I have to stay the staff were all excellent. Upon arrival my membership status was immediately recognised and I was given all of the associated benefits. The hotel is on the main road from the North in to Aachen and slightly set back. If you get to the Sports stadium travelling to central Aachen you have missed it! I did. The rooms are dated but equipped with all you need. Nonetheless, the only english speaking tv channel is CNN. A small fridge in the room is supplied but be warned it doesn't get very cold!The bar and restaurant staff are great, very polite and helpful. Not much choice on the restaurant menu, so I was thankful for the BK, Chinese restaurant and Subway across the road. I do have to moan about the wifi though, I am still amazed that IHG do not have wifi for free. Time they caught up, I mean even McDonalds has free wifi and at the hotel its 75 euros for the week, it is a steep price to pay. Breakfast has an excellent choice but again pricey at 16 euros. No gym facilities which is poor considering its location. Overall, it's a pleasant place to stay, great staff, close to the motorway and a short taxi ride in to the centre of Aachen.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My husband and I were in town for a friend's wedding and we used my Priority Club reward points to pay for this hotel room for two nights. I travel several times per year for my job and I try my best to stay within the Priority Club family and within my company's budget. Typically, i stay at Holiday Inn Expresses, which from what i understand, are usually a little newer than Holiday Inns. However, i was rather taken aback when i saw the large disparities between what I'm used to seeing and what I encountered at the Holiday Inn in Aachen.
(I also typically travel to Canada and Latin America - perhaps there are big differences from Europe?)

The hotel is located in an area with very little available within walking distance. A Burger King and a small pizza place are across the road, thankfully.

Anyway....
The hotel seemed nice enough from the outside (Decent exterior and plenty of parking) and from the lobby. Check in went smoothly and the staff member who greeted us was pleasant. As an Platinum Priority Club member I received a coupon for my husband & I good for one free soda or beer at the hotel bar. Not exactly impressive... but hey, who am I to turn down a free drink?

The room was fine. Not huge, but not too small. The first thing I noticed was the fact that the comforter spread out in the middle of the Queen sized bed was about 5 inches short on each side of the bed. It looked like it would have properly fit a Single sized bed. Again, is this some weird European thing that I'm just not familiar with? I specifically elected a room for 2 guests. Luckily, my husband is like a furnace and was able to sleep without covers because there was no way we were able to share.

There was no free wifi. This is annoying at ANY hotel, but free wifi is something that has always been a dependable feature in all the Holiday Inn family hotels I've ever stayed at! Disappointing.

Again - Maybe I've been spoiled by the brand's hotels in Latin America, but another feature that I've come to expect is free breakfast of some sort. This hotel had a breakfast buffet - if you wanted to pay 16 EURO. (insane)

Aside from the small closet whose doors only permitted you to open one half of the closet at a time (Might want to consider some accordion style doors!), there was no iron or ironing board. There was a trouser press bolted to the wall, but no iron. *grumble*

By this point, we were both thoroughly underwhelmed. I realize too, that I'm nitpicking, but after being so unimpressed, it became easier and easier to find fault. It actually became a joke when I went to start a list of "Things that aren't great about this hotel" and the hotel pen provided on the night stand wouldn't click. Even the pen was bad!

The pillows - so nicely labeled as "soft" or "firm" were in fact 4 of the exact same pillows. (Why go to the trouble of labeling them?)

As I mentioned before, I'm just nitpicking. All in all, this hotel serves its purpose and isn't disgusting or anything. I just didn't feel like it was up to the standards of the brand.

If you just need a place to crash for the night (like we did), then you won't have any problems. But I would NOT recommend this hotel for anything beyond 2 nights. It's not BAD... just completely mediocre. If it weren't for the free stay due to my rewards points, we would have left and found someplace right downtown in the heart of charming Aachen.

All in all, the whole place needs a face-lift and a visit from corporate.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kiwibeandip
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Aachen, responded to this review, 18 August 2012
Dear Kiwibeandip,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. As a Platinum Priority Club Member we greatly appreciate your loyalty to our brand and Hotel. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered during your stay. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.