“This hotel has now changed management - it is a Leonardo Hotel”

Leonardo Hotel Aachen
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Aachen
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We have stayed at what was the Holiday Inn Hotel in Aachen on many occasions. It makes a good mid-way stop off overnight stay on our way down to southern Germany - taking between 3-4 hours from Calais Eurotunnel crossing. Since was last stayed here in February 2013 the hotel has changed hands and is now run by the Leonardo Group of hotels. Essentially, nothing much has changed except it is now undergoing a re-branding process. The rooms are the same, the bar and restaurant are the same. Fortunately a lot of the staff are the same, which is good because the previous Holiday Inn staff were always a good bunch, but there are some new faces and it is obvious that some staff have now gone. They all speak excellent English. The main Reception was undergoing re-branding whilst we were here on 14th September, which was unfortunate because even thought it was gone 8pm there was an external design team there drilling the walls and tartifying things up with planters and flower arrangements. The new brand is along the theme of Leonardo Da Vinci, so you can expect various artistic prints of the Mona Lisa etc scattered around the place.
One noticeable thing was that our room had slightly less supplies than before. You could only make one drink from the tea and coffee facilities and we had half a toilet roll in the bathroom with no spare! However, this was swiftly rectified by the staff once we pointed that out. The rooms in the Holiday Inn were always hot and whilst there is climate control this is not great to run all night - the duvets supplied are like large marshmallows, so we always end up too hot. Opening windows is fine but be prepared for a road right outside your window which is busy ALL NIGHT.
We always pay for the breakfast option and this is a really good meal. There is lots of choice from cold continental buffet of meats and cheeses to hot bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs and more. If you want your eggs done differently they will fry them for you. There are various rolls and pastries, jams, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruits and juices on offer. Each table has a pot of fresh coffee and milk available. You cannot go wrong paying for this option and for us it sets us up for our onward journey. I really do hope they keep this going and dont change the format.
We have eaten at the restaurant of an evening and there is plenty of choice. However, for us it is a bit too expensive (we have never got away without spending over 30-40Euros for two of us), but that does not mean to say we wouldnt recommend it as it is always popular and lots of guests are eating there. I have to admit here that we pop over the road to the Burger King right opposite and are heathens, but it is the only time we tend to eat like this after a long car journey (sorry Leonardo Hotel its nothing against your food, its us).
You have to pay to park your car 6Euros, but it is a secure car park with easy access and we feel it is worth the cost.
The hotel is minutes from the motorway, so a great stopover place. As I said previously the traffic noise is noticeable at night, but if you think that might be an issue bring earplugs. For regular travellers staying here there is a loyalty scheme which does give additional benefits such as free internet at 1 hour a day and complementary bottle of water in room, you get points too to redeem once you have got enough of them.
So in summary, a good place to stop off - not massively close to the city centre but just a taxi drive into the centre. Not sure I would want to stay too long here but the rooms a comfortable as are the beds, there are good facilities and as I said the breakfasts are great.

Room Tip: If you dont like traffic noise you will have to pay extra but ask for a room at the BACK of the hote...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janice H

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Aachen many times on our way from Dunkirk to Bavaria and now that it's the Leonardo Hotel Aachen we hope to carry on the same.
Parking/Room/etc all as before.
This time though the restaurant was closed, but with the help of the great reception staff and the young barman, they served us a great Schnitzel Art and the Reisling was great.
Breakfast was good as usual.
So see you again soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My wife and I and our friends booked the Holiday Inn back in November last year with two rooms from the 4th July to our departure on the 8th July.
This was to allow us to visit some places and friends in Aachen and also to go to the Andre Rieu concert in Maastricht on the Sunday evening 7th July. Some weeks ago I was advised by the ICH group for Holiday Inns that this hotel was now changing to the Leonardo Hotel. However my booking was confirmed as we did not wish to change and all other matters were the same in terms of cost and other matters.
However upon arrival there was a very lengthy discussion about charges for the Internet €18 per 24 hours which is extortionate to say the least and which is always free with my membership of the Priority Club and also a car park charge of €6 per day which again were free on my membership. In the end I was given free car parking but only one day free on the internet and the shocking charges after the first 24 hours.
Our troubles did not end there the following is the catalogue of events that put his hotel as less than a one star not a four star as it implies.
Firstly I have no complaints about the front desk staff who dealt with most matters apologetically except perhaps they should have warned us about the many problems before we encountered them first hand such as the non functioning Air Con and the non working fridge.
Firstly in reference to room 331 occupied by our friends
On a number of occasions towels which were on the floor in the bathroom to be replaced were simply hung back up on the towel rails.
There were no tissues in the tissue box in the bathroom.
Unbelievably there was no spare toilet roll and the one left was inadequate for their uses.
The Air Conditioning did not work.
The Fridge was switched off and could not be switched on
There was mouldy food in the fridge when they arrived from a previous occupant.
Despite a number of requests tea and coffee packs etc in the room for making were not replaced on any morning without special requests to staff.
In reference to our room 330 I advise as follows.
Last week I specifically phoned the hotel to ensure all matters were exactly as they would be under priority club I was assured they were however.
Upon arrival I was told I would have to pay for car parking. Also I would have to pay for internet some extortionate rate of €18 per day!!!!!!!
I did manage at the third attempt to get the car park charge removed and one day free internet whereas most placed now supply internet FOC.
In our room again our Fridge did not work.
The Air conditioning was not working and later we learnt that the engineer was coming to fix this on Monday but were not told at the time. Over the weekend the temperature in the room exceeded 30C and was too hot to sleep.
There was no tea or coffee makings in the room and we had to ask for these to be replaced every day except on the Monday
The Fridge was switched off and could not be switched on.
There was no access to ice other than going to the back of the bar and an assistant getting it there.
Upon arrival the cups and glasses in the room were dirty and there was even lipstick on the glasses as well as them being unclean.
There was a smell in the bathroom from the shower curtain which increased each day we were there it was both unsavoury and in my view unhealthy.
The soap and shampoo dispensers were empty and when we asked for shampoo etc we were given some bottles of free samples which were only half full and from the debris around the caps had been used previously.
Again our towels were not replaced every day until we asked but did not have to suffer towels from the floor having been used being hung back on the towel rails.
I suppose the final insult would be us being overcharged at our departure by €132-00c despite it being agreed that our rate would be as per the ICH rate agreed.
All in all we spent a lot of time and energy getting these matters sorted
We did get apologies and for the offer of a free night and breakfast from the Manager Alexandra Kunath.
I do feel that in the circumstances there should have been a reduction to at least half of the cost to show that our complaint had really been taken to heart and accepted.
All in all a dreadful experience and I do hope that these will be read by those proposing to use this hotel under its real name now of the Leonardo not the Holiday Inn in Aachend

Room Tip: My tip is not to stay at this hotel until the improvements are underway. This is not a Holiday Inn...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WiggleOxford
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I can't say that it was a spectacular experience, it was just ok, very average. It was clean and everything worked but it did feel like I was paying a lot for something I would have expected more.

We booked through holiday inn but this is now a Leonardo hotel, we had no contact for them despite being told they would reconfirm my booking, then actually lost one of the three.

Arrived to find advertised room service not available at 2030 and kitchen closed but they could make a pizza, I had called and checked I was able to get food, disappointing really.

Breakfast was EUR18 which was steep and high speed Internet ran at 1.48mbps at best so paying EUR20 for something which was poor.

Sadly I can't bring myself to give much more than an average mark for them, I do think I may consider the Novotel next time as the food there was great.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

I've tried many different hotels over the years in Aachen and must say that Holiday Inn tops all of them. The very friendly and professional staff always makes you feel at home at looks after every need. Booking is easy, good quality amenities, parking easy, restaurant and bar at a high standard.
I'd absolutely recommend Holiday Inn anytime (unless you don't come by car), I'm a frequent guest myself.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Laras404
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Comfortable and very friendly. Copious breakfast with choices.
Clean comfortable rooms with well adapted heating and air conditioning.
The only problem is noise due to the four lane road in front which is fairly busy till early hours during weekend.
Ask for rooms at the back if you feel disturbed by traffice noise.
Hotel situated a few kms from town centre and during weekend it is better to have a car as public transport are few.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I have used this hotel on a number of occassions when visiting the Aachen area on business. I struggle between a 3 and a 4 rating... for quality of the staff I gave a 4...

As seems to be the case with many Holiday Inn's in Europe, this hotel provides good service but is dated and showing its age. It is perfectly clean and presentable with comfortable beds and bathrooms. For me this is most important and I can live with the dated room decor, furniture and very basic and limited TV service but as time goes by this will become more of an issue and the lease owner of the location will likely have to make some investment.

Service from the staff was excellent with good English and a keeness to ensure that everything is done for the the customer. Dinner food is a little limited but fresh heathy items can be found and are presented in an attractive manner. Breakfast is the standard European offering with plenty of coffee on the table which is always a good thing.

It does annoy me that the HI chains insist on charging high rates for internet use. All these little things (internet, TV, decor etc) start to add up in the minds of travellers and have us look elsewhere.

Room Tip: As is the case for many hotels, rooms further from the lifts afford a quieter experience.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business