“aachen dom”

Ranked #2 of 68 things to do in Aachen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Historical Aachen was badly hit during world war 2 but both Dom and Rathaus give an idea of the former splendor of the city.

1  Thank bas k
Write a ReviewReviews (2,839)
All reviews
in 77 reviews
"dom"
in 196 reviews

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The cathedral was very impressive and the stained glass windows were beautiful. My only disappointment was the I missed the English tour and took the German tour so that I can see the other areas. They did give me an info book in English so that I could follow along on the locations within the Cathedral and learn some additional information. I had some miscommunication on where the tour was supposed to meet at the information center vs at the cathedral. I had different answers from 2 different people, maybe my question was lost in translation. FYI the tour meets in the back room of the information center across from the entrance to the Cathedral.

1  Thank scubakbell
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We attempted to visit the Cathedral following the concise guide you can take at the entrance for 50 cents. After reading the usual wiki guides we thought we were well prepared to find our way around. However, the most symbolic places, the shrines and the throne, are only accessible if you do the guided tour. Available in English, it costs 4 € and in our case the originally planned 45 minutes turned into an hour.

The guide was a local who linked up the building and its additions to history, involving mainly Charlemagne's whereabouts in life and death. His explanations were clear, enthusiastic, interesting and open to questions.

The Cathedral strikes anybody with an eye for beauty for its unique mixture of styles and surprising distribution of spaces. Anywhere you look there are symbols that in some cases are still being decoded. It is good to see ongoing maintenance works given the vast amount of features the cathedral houses.

1  Thank Arlene5826
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We nearly didn't go to Aachen but decided a day trip was on. Having travelled extensively in Europe and visited many cathedrals this has to be one of the most beautiful I have ever seen and not to be missed. A wedding party was just leaving as we arrived - what a place to get married. Stunning. The cathedral treasury is also very interesting.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I went on a Saturday in the midst of the big 1,200 anniversary of Charlemagne's death. It was extremely crowded. I would recommend taking a tour so that you get to see things close up. I tried it with a nice guidebook, but I only got to see his throne and golden sarcophagus at a distance. The tour groups go behind the barriers. Photos are allowed, and there are a lot to take. Parking is expensive and challenging to find. I recommend the Dom lot with its quick 3 minute walk.