“Did not meet expectations”
Review of Art Hotel Aachen

and 1 more site!
Art Hotel Aachen
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Aachen
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We (Me, Wife and Granddaughter) booked two basic rooms for 3 nights in June 2014 at the Art Hotel. We had to pay in advance on Booking.com, there being no option to pay a deposit. The rooms were very clean and mine, ‘room 101’ aka Picasso, was basic but had a nice new en-suite. Shampoo and soap were from dispensers. No tea/coffee making facilities, flannel or complementary lotion. WiFi was an extra. The patio was not generally useable that evening because the chairs were mostly chained to the tables. I did sit with a bottle of water on one unlocked chair and was promptly told off and accused of drinking wine I had purchased elsewhere! The patio was open the next evening, but some UK cyclists I befriended were similarly told off by the same member of staff for eating on the patio some fast food they had bought, and told they could eat it in their rooms instead. To be honest, I wouldn’t like to be the next occupant in that room and have to suffer food smells. That said the other staff were very pleasant and helpful. My wife and granddaughter went to use the pool, but promptly came back saying the water was cold and the pool area was not that welcoming. I used the plastic cup and wine glass (in my room) that evening, but the cup was not replaced next day and the wine glass was not washed out. However I did enjoy the atmosphere in the bar watching the world cup on the big screen TV with the other guests, who tended to be more white van man than business man. Bar prices were reasonable and the service good. Breakfast was extra at 13 euros each. It was poor on the only day we chose that option; lots of processed food in packets, not much choice of breads and in my opinion some lower quality product than I would expect for 13 euros. Not a patch on the Ostend hotel breakfast the day before. I would recommend having breakfasts the German way in the many Bakeries around. The hotel has a restaurant but check when it is open before planning to eat there. We didn’t have an evening meal at the hotel but did use an excellent local family-run restaurant just down the road into Aachen which I would highly recommend. One tip is to always be aware of when there are local festivals and holidays in the calendar because it can affect the the prices and services in hotels and restaurants. The up side is there can be related events to enjoy in the area. I would not recommend this hotel to visitors from the UK.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Realaler

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on 18th June whilst on a cycling trip. My group had cycled from Eindhoven and added about 20 miles onto our journey due to navigational issues so it was a relief to get to our hotel. Upon arrival we checked in and put our belongings in basic rooms. There was 3 members of staff on duty 2 extremely friendly and one not so.

A kind guest at the hotel offered to give me a lift into town to buy some food (we were all shattered): an offer I gratefully accepted. Upon returning to the hotel we were asked to leave the premises by the "not so friendly" staff member until we had consumed our food. We sat on the roadside outside like tramps.

I cycle around Europe every summer and this was the first time any hotel has refused us to consume food on their premises.

We did however enjoy the remainder of our evening in the bar and although the rooms were basic they were more than comfortable.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank The_Advisorer
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Used this as a base when visiting Aachen for a friends wedding. Clean and fresh room, recently refurbished.
Staff were lovely, and multilingual.
Communal areas were nice and my partner enjoyed the sauna and pool.
Took about half an hour to walk to the centre of Aachen, but was an enjoyable and fairly easy walk.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We have booked a double room for 54 Euro so did not expect much, but we were impressed, nice and clean hotel, free parking, smiling and helpful staff.
The room: decent size, comfortable bed, furniture ok, good prices for the minibar products
The bathroom: small but smartly designed to be fully functional
Swimming pool: looked nice, only one person in, but too tired and lazy to go for a swim.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

For a budget hotel it has all the basic facilities which were clean plus a safe & mini bar in the room which you don't get with some cheap hotels. The room had a nice balcony which unfortunately we couldn't use too much as we are non smoking and other guests around us smoked heaviily and the smell was constantly coming into the room as was the noise from the roadside and garage.
There wasn't air conditioning in the room and the weather was hot so not being able to sleep with windows open due to noise etc made for a very uncomfortable couple of nights.
The staff are extremely friendly and multi lingual which is helpful and the Beer Garden is lovely when it is open...we found it strange that this and the restaurant were closed Friday, Sat & Sunday which surely is a business faux pas,
The breakfast is expensive at 13 euro PP and we would recommend going to Moss Bakery a couple of hundred yards up the road where a sandwich,coffee and cake for two was 15 euro!
On the whole it was a fair experience for the price

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2013

This hotel is conveniently located to the highway and to the city center, there is also a bus stop close by. My room was very quiet (no street noise, nothing) and spacious (booked a single, got a double). The room furniture looks like ~20 yrs old, but it is well maintained. Everything is clean.

Charging for a WiFi connection seems a bit strange to me. Who is the target group of this hotel? People who don't work in the evening, check their emails, or plan their city tour for the next day? Who does without Internet nowadays?

If you wish to spend a nice weekend in Aachen as a tourist, I recommend a hotel closer to the historic center of the city. Walking distance matters, and also you don't have the flair of Aachen if you stay out here.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CHWA
Reviewed 25 February 2013

recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights whilst we were attending a Car Rally at Spa in the Ardennes Belgium which is only 30 mins away from the hotel. lovely room for the price we paid (90 Euros) and sensible prices for the items in the mini bar!! nothing was too much hassle. being a Brit however I did find paying 4 Euros to have a kettle and tea making facilities in the room a bit steep. would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in the city or even if you were looking at visiting the Ardennes. whilst it is a bit out of the city center there is a bus stop outside the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple