Mercure Hotel Aachen am Dom
Mercure Hotel Aachen Europaplatz(Aachen)(Great Value!)
US$80
  • Bar/Lounge
US$123
  • Breakfast included
US$63
Ibis Aachen Marschiertor(Aachen)(Great Value!)
US$73
  • Restaurant
Art Hotel Aachen Superior(Aachen)(Great Value!)
US$82
  • Pool
Ibis Styles Aachen City(Aachen)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$88
ibis Styles
  • Breakfast included
US$118
US$102
  • Room Service
All reviewschristmas marketcentral locationshops and cafesold townwindows closedcoffee making facilitiesexcellent locationspiral staircaseprivilege roommain streetparking areahotel is modernair conditioningclean roomssmall bartrain stationcar park
Reviewed 10 January 2013

For the Christmas break we were really pleased to be staying right in the centre of Aachen, only a sneeze away from the start of the Christmas markets and the shops.

The hotel was a good 5 - 10 minute walk from the train station (depending on how much luggage you are dragging along) and at first it looked like another posh phone shop.. it wasn't until we spotted the unique spiral staircase that are visable from the outside that we realised it was the hotel. The staff were friendly and efficient and check in was quick and easy. Our room was a little small but perfect for us, plus it had a wicked balcony that you could spy on the bargains in the shops opposite.

The bed was comfy and I think the only negative was that the pillows werent the best, but to be honest I was being lazy and just didn't go down to reception to ask for another one.

Overall a really good experience and it really is the must stay hotel in Aachen!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony!
1  Thank Weeza S
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Reviewed 5 December 2012

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Tried to find better words, but clearly "average" goes well with most of the amenities and characteristics of this place. To me this means "yes why not". The plus sign means I can't say I'm dissatisfied. So room despite being at the far end and on a noisy place was not noisy (with windows closed) and I had a relatively good sleep. I would complain about the bathroom being a real ice cube, but a spacious one. Average hotels try to save money wherever they can, and heating decently the bathroom is something long forgotten in average (and even superior) hotels.

Other wise, breakfast? Guess what, it was average+: quite some choice but you can be sure that everyday it's exactly the same choice, not a slight variation. Internet access? Expensive and works... well not so bad (average again).

Location in the city? I'd say not bad, quite centrally located. Easy to reach the train station by foot, restaurants, etc...

Room Tip: I have been surprised of the quality of noise isolation with the street -- or maybe was it that there is barely no traffic at night?
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank voyageur_Londres
Reviewed 28 October 2012

The title is not intended to confuse. the hotel is in the centre of Aachen, and a few minutes walk from the Dom and the enchanting centre with its ancient rathaus and the like. My confusion on location was as a result of the parking debacle, roadworks, a busy road and the general feeling that the hotel is not a place of real relaxation.
I actually slept well, but I suspect this might have been more about the end of over 3000 miles driving around Europe, rather than anything else.
By the way, I complain if 1] there is a shark in my bath 2] the room is dirty 3]the hotel misrepresents itself et al. I do not complain over issues such as noise from the street, especially as I choose to open the windows because I like a cold room.
There was nothing to complain about in that regard.
However, the lift clearly has a button that says 'restaurant' and I clearly read 'restaurant' on one floor level.
They dont have one, and it is titled such because it is where they serve breakfast.
Strange and the additional excursion into the busy throng was simply not welcome.
However, on the plus side, what a breakfast!
Parking.... was a pain in the backside. I rang the hotel for a clue and that produced some directions that floundered immediately. Again I did so, and got a street name. This was fed into the satnav and eventually I got there. I set off with my suitcase and laptop only, just to find the hotel before i brought my luggage. I didnt bother in the end, just rounded up a few essentials later and stuffed them in my laptop bag for the return.
the parking situation was less than ideal, and equal worst during my trip.
unusually for me, this is a hotel that I will not stay in again. The reason for that is purely that there is a lot of choice, and the value of car parking on site and an integral quality restaurant have become more clear to me since my two weeks around Europe.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo