“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Am Bahnhof

Hotel Am Bahnhof
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aachen
Hotel Am Bahnhof
Ranked #33 of 41 Hotels in Aachen
Haverfordwest
“Good”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We were looking for somewhere cheap to stay and got this out of the Rough Guide. Very reasonable rates, although we were sent to another hotel round the corner - I assume the same establishment owns both, and the one in the side-street is the cheaper option. Everything pleasant and clean, and the staff were super-helpful and friendly. They even let me park the motorbike outside the front of the main hotel on the pavement and promised to keep an eye on it for me. Great, and would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 November 2010

The reception staff were very pleasant and accommodating. We were given a large, warm and recently-refurbished room. It was right on the main street but we were so tired we didn't really notice the traffic. The room was perhaps slightly spartan, but the beds were very comfortable and we slept well.

The bathroom was light and spacious, although the shelf above the sink was at an awkward height : it gave my head 3 or 4 good knocks.

The only real downside to Hotel Am Bahnhof was breakfast. The food itself was fine, but it was served by one of the surliest and most unappealing women we had ever encountered. Not only was she dour and unhelpful, but during the course of our breakfast -perhaps 30 minutes- she propped the exterior door open three times to smoke a cigarette in the lobby. The smoke and the cold air were most unpleasant.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I've stayed at Hotel am Bahnhoff three times over the last 20 years at regular intervals (for trips that are a mix of business and pleasure). It just seems to get better. Basic digs, tastefully decorated, very clean, modern rooms with TV (mine didn't work), en suite shower/WC and phone. Wireless internet was a big plus for me, as was the ample and tasty breakfast, great price, and convenient location across from the Bahnhof, with shops, internet cafe, restaurants, bank machines and travel agencies all around and just a 10 minute walk to the center (and historic heart) of the city. No hairdryers or in-room coffee pots that business travelers might be used to elsewhere but I would have rated this a great find--didn't even mind the wake-up call (after a long night to finish some work I brought with me) to tell me to hurry down to breakfast before they closed. However, when I arrived downstairs five minutes later at 10 minutes before 10 am and was told breakfast was finished and I could not come in--I was more than irritated. Bring your own bottled water, kleenex, energy for walking the stairs, and a good disposition if you don't speak German. I would rate this 3.5--much better than average for the money--almost a 4.

Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Ansbach, Germany
Reviewed 7 January 2006

Arrived in Aachen and found that most of the hotels were closed for New Year's break until Jan 8th. Found Hotal Am Bahnhof directly across the street from the train station. The owner spoke understandable English and was very helpful in giving me directions to various places. For 39 Euros I got a small but clean room with small TV and private toilet/sink & shower with plenty of hot water. The room I had was very quiet although some minor noise from TV next door. The great price included German breakfast with rolls, cheese, meats, hard boiled eggs, cereals, sweetbreads, juice, coffee/tea. One drawback was that the Hotel Am Bahnhof and Hotel Stadt Koblenz are owned by the same person and breakfast is served only in Hotel Stadt Koblenz so I had to walk two doors down each morning for breakfast. The only other disadvantage was that there is no elevator so I got additional exercise going up and down the stairs. The hotel is maybe 15 min from the Old Town section of Aachen and a healthy walk or a 10 min bus ride to Carolus Therem. I found it to be a good value for the money.

2 Thank topchop46