“A very nice hotel and a great location”

Novotel Aachen City
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Aachen
Menlo Park
“A very nice hotel and a great location”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Each time I go to Aachen I try to stay in this hotel and my most recent trip was no exception.

The room I had was clean, spacious and comfortable, including a sofa and a sufficiently large work desk. It pretty much covers the needs of the traveler, including a large safe and water boiler with complimentary tea and instant coffee. It is very nice one can open the windows to get fresh air in.

The breakfast buffet is somewhat pricey, but really excellent. It has a wide range of choices, including various hot and cold items. All of it is high quality food and there is an impressive choice of bread types. The latter is a real treat. Unlike some other hotels it has long opening hours so on a quiet day you can take your time going there.

The staff is also really friendly and helpful.

The location is very good. The main bus station is across the street and the shopping area is less than 10 minutes walking away. The famous cathedral, big market square and many restaurants are also within the same walking distance.

There are some things that can be improved though.

Internet access was a pain. I had bought the business package and that includes internet access. One of the nice things of this hotel is the wired internet connection in addition to Wi-Fi. With both connection types I had to re-authorize too many times though. Each time I wanted to use it, it asked me for my login credentials. To make it worse, they only allow you to connect 3 devices and if you do not disconnect cleanly, the system seems to think you're still using another device. Several times I got a message I ran into this limit and my connection was refused. This, while I only used my laptop to connect. Aarggh. How frustrating and utterly silly. I actually had to jump through some hoops to resolve this and more than once. Very unprofessional it is done this way. Why not let me authorize once and keep my credentials for my entire stay for example?

On the upside, the line worked fine once I was in, but this is really something that needs to be improved.

Last, but not least on this topic, I wonder why especially European hotels continue to charge for internet access and why the number of devices is limited. This hotel has free Wi-Fi, and I applaud them for that, but this is only for a very basic service and not sufficient for me. The paid service costs 6 Euro a day, or 19 Euro for a week. Why this charge and not just provide the full service?

I also think the pillows are too small and too few. Perhaps I've been spoiled by other hotels, but these pillows are not up to the high standards of the room.

The bathroom is quite tiny. The shower space is small and the space next to the wash basin is pretty limited. Personally I think the smallish bath tub could be removed to make room for a bigger shower and also to make more room for the wash basin area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 March 2014

stayed here one night, efficient service at reception, nice room with a compact but very complete bathroom, separate bathtub and shower.

Hotel is next to a busy road - but if you have the windows closed you almost don't hear the road.

Breakfast was good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,028 helpful votes
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I frequently visit this hotel, service is good, rooms are specious and clean, sound from other rooms is minimal. I have eaten for the 1st time dinner at the hotel. It was delicious, in fact better to many restaurants in Aachen.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sea98
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights. Walking distance to shops, cathedral and 800 M from Carolus Thermen. Busy street (cars, close to bus station) but rooms are quiet. Lazy sunday breakfast till 13.00 hr! Breakfast is fine: English and continental. Fresh fruit, salmon, yogurt, quark, bread rolls, gluten free muesli, lactose free milk, eggs, juices etc. Friendly staff. Service with a smile. Rooms are clean, small but have almost everything you need. Business executive room with darkening curtains and free wifi, tea/coffee facilities, free use of minibar. Welcoming chocolates. Bathroom with small bath and separate shower. Bathrobes on request available. Small bed but slept well (not for tall or heavy people). Plastic cover on mattress is not appreciated. On request it was removed. Thin pillows and thin blankets but we got extra when we asked for it. Steam room (no sauna) on fifth floor with extra towels and showers. For your electric devices: One (plug)socket next to the bed, one near water kettle and one behind the tv. TV with lots of German channels. Staff speaks English. Across the street is restaurant One and Only, main course starting at € 24,50 but good quality good. Nicely decorated, choices of wine. 3-course meal € 39,50.

• Stayed February 2014
Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Good hotel in the center of Aachen...(public) parking just downstairs, toilette and shower separated. Amenities available in room. Lot of international channels on tv, good speed for wi-fi. Room are quite big but not so clean (at least mine): hair on moquette, poor towels and blank sheet. There is a strange smell on the evening. Personnel is not so friendly, but prepared.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
NovotelAachenCity, Front Office Manager at Novotel Aachen City, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Valeriolep,

thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.

We are trying to satisfy all our guests giving them a warm and comfort feeling in our Novotel Aachen. Unfortunately the quality of housekeeping and the frienlyness of our staff was not like you have expected. We have to apologize for that.
We will have a conversation with the housekeeping to highlight again the importance of 100% clean rooms. Also we will talk to our staff to remain the friendlyness.

We are living a kind of 'kaizen', so perhaps you would be so kind to help us with an email to H3557-FO@accor.com with some more detailed information.
Unfortunatly we do not see your real name, so it is not possible for us to check on which rooms your were and to which you talk at the reception.

Your satisfaction is the most important for us, so we would be glad for any further information for us.

With the best whishes from Aachen.

Tobias Sinzig
Front Office Manager
Los Altos, CA
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I recently spent a night at the Novotel Aachen City hotel while on a business trip. The hotel is well-located, near the city center, and has an appealing lobby area. Staff I interacted with were pleasant and competent. I was disappointed by several aspects of my stay, however.

The room layout (I believe I was in a standard room) was quite odd. The toilet was in a small alcove near the door; the sink and shower were in the bathroom located around the corner near the bed. Therefore, to wash one's hands after using the toilet required leaving the alcove and walking to the other side of the room. Not a great distance, to be sure, but I found it off-putting not to be able to wash adjacent to the toilet.

The room was quite small (very little room beyond the bed), and linens were barely adequate (small, thin bath towels, no washcloths).

Internet service (whether via ethernet or wifi) was limited to 512Kb/s unless one paid for "premium" service. 512K is insufficient for any form of video streaming other than perhaps low-quality YouTube cat videos. In addition, the internet was fairly intermittent, even at the low maximum speed webpages would often not load properly.

It's not clear there are any obviously better options in central Aachen, but the Novotel certainly has room for improvement.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
NovotelAachenCity, Front Office Manager at Novotel Aachen City, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear BillShepp,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your Novotel Aachen experience with us. Only with the help of our guests we are able to keep our service at a high level.

We appreciate the fact our staff was able to meet your expectations.

You are reclaiming the missing sink. The separate toilet was planned as an advantage, so a couple is able to use both at the same time. The missing sink is known to us, we regret but unfortunately this can not be upgraded without considerable effort.

Since last summer we are offering a free wifi connection with 256 kbit/s. This is enough for receiving and responding emails or to update your devices.
For video watching or using skype this connection is at least too slow. For this applications we are offering a premium wifi connection with speed of 16,000 DSL for just 6,00 EUR for 24 hrs.
We thank you for your comments, which gives us the chance to increase our service quality. We will forward your statement about wifi connection to our IT Services.

We would appreciate welcoming you again at our Novotel Aachen.
For any requests, feel free to contact me under 0049 241 5159 152 or email H3557-FO@accor.com.

Best wishes from the City of Charlemagne