“Worst place ever”

GZ Hostel Bonn
Ranked #11 of 21 Speciality Lodging in Bonn
“Worst place ever”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Worst place I have ever booked and luckily ended up not staying at. Came to Bonn for my university entrance test the next morning at 7:30 am. I arrived around 9:00 pm and waited for about an hour and half for my room; staff finally told me that I would be relocated to another hotel in a different city. Reason: "some" people (I booked a single room) still occupied it without letting know the management. Mysteriously, the cleaning lady (is there one?) did not notice either that my room was not empty when she cleaned it earlier that day (sounds like lame lie to cover up for classic room overbooking). They showed no initiative whatsoever in providing an adequate replacement. While confronting staff with my test situation and that closeness in the morning would be key to my success, I got a very aggressive response, reminding me of some sketchy formulated, probably made-up, german rights: either, I would go with them to their remote place, or cancel (for free, how nice is that right?) the booking at 11 pm. I just wanted to get out of there, this miserable situation, and canceled. There was no way that I would wake up an hour earlier just to sleep at a hotel that I did not book, in a city I did not want be in, to take a train to the place I payed for. Initially, the front desk guy tried to persuade me that I would not be able to find another hotel (luckily, my boyfriend at home found one in no time and booked it for me). They clearly tried to take advantage of me, being a non-native foreigner in a foreign country, and thought I would not dare to reject their absurd offer. That's when things got heated up and I got threatened to not leave a bad review. Otherwise, they would charge my credit card for this booking. In this matter, I will take my chances again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Marc M

Namur, Belgium
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The hotel is very close to the U station. Just 1 minute walking. The room we had (good for 2) was without bathroom; Toilets and bathroom were collective. It is clean. Furnitures are not very recent but ok. In fact, when you enter in the hotel, it is like entering a normal building. there is no mention of the hotel, and we had to go to the beside bar to get the key and to pay.
Finally, it was ok for the price (arounf 40 euros for 2 people) and well located, close to the U from which you can go either to Bonn or Koln.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends