“Good, but spartan”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bonn
Gustav-Stresemann-Institut e.V.
Ranked #4 of 21 Speciality Lodging in Bonn
Sao Paulo, SP
“Good, but spartan”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I have stayed for a week in this hotel during a business trip. The location was perfect for me, since our offices are a walking distance away from the hotel. For tourists or visitors of downtown Bonn it might me a little far from the city. Though it is close to a U-Bahn (subway) station and you can reach downtown within 15 or 20 minutes.

The hotel itself is very simple and business oriented. It's actually a conference center with rooms for guests. I stayed in a single room and had a single bed and my own bathroom. It is really small and contains only the basics (TV, wi-fi, a couple of cloth hangers and hairdryer). It's important to stress that there is no air conditioning (it has heating, I guess, but I was there in summer) or minibar (you can't store your own food/drinks). I you'd like to iron your clothes, you can borrow from the reception for free.

As everyone has already mentioned, the breakfast ist really nice and with lots of options, including for vegetarians. But the restaurant has no great options for lunch or dinner and sadly there are almost no dining options within a walking distance (you must also walk for quite a while to find a supermarket. For urgencies there is a gas station with a 24h store where you can find some snacks).

They also offer bicycles for rental for a € 8,00/day fee. It's not quite cheap, but it's worth it if you plan to ride beside the Rhein River. The hotel is really close to the river and the very nice Rhein Park

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has no singe entrance for two different rooms. You might get annoyed with the so...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveller_SAO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Stayed here for one night during a business trip to Bonn! Booking was made via email and the staff replied promptly (When we searched availability online, it was showing no availability). The same level of prompt service in email replying was received when I reached there. Though the room was a bit small, it was very clean and it had really all the necessary things for a one night stay (flat tv, nice toilet, comfortable bed!). Free internet connection was available and the connection speed was really good. Overall, I would strongly recommend this place for anyone looking for a budget night stay in Bonn. I must also mention that the food served for breakfast was excellent, with a huge variety of choices!
Positives: Clean rooms, comfortable bed, reasonable price, excellent breakfast
Negatives: Size of the room

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank suhruthu
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Not for a romantic retreat, the institute was used for accommodation, catering and conference room.
Small rooms, but this is not important when on business, very clean and pleasant bathroom.
Free WiFi is available to all and is always appreciated (though not at high speed).
Food and bar is good, with decent selection and very good for breakfast.
The conference room that I saw was well furnished, comfortable and suitable for training, seminars, conferences etc.
Surrounding area is very quiet - if you want some night life you won't be impressed, but everything you need for a business trip can be found on site.

Room Tip: Ask for smoking or non-smoking at your preference.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Matt T
Norwich
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This was my second time at the Gustav-Stresemann Institute in Bonn. It is a purpose-built conference centre catering mainly for public sector meetings where cost is a major consideration. No corporate fat cats here. My hosts from the nearby UN Complex were running a workshop and they paid my room and meals - and I can assume that they felt that this was good value, especially compared to other hotels in Bonn, where I have stayed before.

The good points include the friendly staff. Arriving very late from Cologne-Bonn Airport, I was greeted warmly by an oldish man who was the night receptionist. The restaurant - actually more like an up-market canteen - staff were helpful and quite enthusiastic about the food they had on offer. The barman extolled the virtues of the local beer. And the two women who cleaned my room were a little defensive but warmed to my attempts to speak a few German words. So, there was a nice atmosphere. The food was really quite good, even though it was all buffet-style. They do try hard to give choice including fish and vegetarian. Another plus point is that each room has a direct dial number from outside -so I could receive calls from family and work with no problem. Wireless internet access was very good and speedy and free - so no problems with communications. The negative points mainly concern the rather small size of bedrooms and the long barrack-style corridors. However, given the small amount of conscious time I needed the room, this was not a real problem.

The conference facilities and support are excellent. We had a good-size seminar room with all the technological wizadry we needed. The refreshments included fruit as well as cakes with coffee. They are really very good at adding comforting touches to what is really basic accommodation. I would be happy to stay here any time, and I prefer it to more formal hotels in Bonn which can be a bit stifling, especially to foreigners. I should also say that the Africans in our group appreciated the relaxed and non-discriminatory atmosphere. So, well done GSI.

Room Tip: The rooms are all pretty much the same - small. But do ask for non-smoking if you need that.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sox299
Rehovot
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The location is very good, very quiet area. In particular I enjoyed the breakfast, there were multiple choices. The room was small and clean, however, I had to leave the window open for a long time to get proper ventilation. I think that during warm days it will not be pleasant. The wi-fi was very slow in my experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 72Dragonfly
Kraków
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Gustav-Stresemann-Institut it's basic conference hotel. My single room was the smallest I've ever seen. The good thing is that you have what you need if you sleep there only ;). Very clean. I had some problems with strange wi-fi internet cards which you can get at the reception desk. Average, but very nice hotel. I will definitively sleep there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Belfast, NI
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed in the Gustav Stresemann Institute as part of a conference group. The Institute itself is pretty easy to find, just a few stops from Bonn HBF by metro and a short walk from the station along a residential street.

The good things about GSI were really pretty good. Firstly it had the best wifi internet I've had in a hotel - you can tell it's been set up mostly for business. The institute itself was thoughtfully laid out around a central very pleasant green area which was ideal for informal meetings and for lunch when the weather permitted. The conference space was also really nice, one huge room that subdivided very well into smaller rooms, it was also lovely and bright which really makes a difference in a plenary space. And there was a nice lobby area. I did hear there was also a good bar downstairs although I didn't get to see it. Food was also pretty good albeit I think a bit expensive and there was a great range of foods for breakfast. And the staff were mostly pretty nice as well. I liked the bathroom too, it was more like a basic kind of wetroom and the shower was very good.

On the less good side, there were a few issues. The rooms were tiny, though the communal spaces were so good that this didn't matter so much. The bigger issue was that the walls were paper thin. On the first night someone tried to get something out of their wardrobe in the room next door and I woke thinking someone was kicking the door in. People were mostly very thoughtful about not making noise - the person next door had set their mobile phone alarm on vibrate - but given the lack of soundproofing, it felt like it was my phone. It was very quiet through the night though.

The other minor issue for me was the weird smoking room in the lobby of the institute which was really pretty unpleasant since it seemed to keep letting blasts of cigarette smoke into the lobby.

I think it was a good space for a conference and would recommend it for this purpose but if a good night's sleep is important to you I'd say investigate staying in one of the nearby hotels.

Room Tip: Try to get an outside room not overlooking the courtyard but away from the kitchen and reception are...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business