“Terrible customer service that cost me 115 euro”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of SternHotel Bonn

SternHotel Bonn
Ranked #14 of 79 Hotels in Bonn
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
“Terrible customer service that cost me 115 euro”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

We checked in to the hotel on Wednesday June 19 2013. We had a great time so after few days in the Romantic Rhein we decided to book it again. With the small print in the booking.com app I made a mistake and booked 22/6 instead of 23/6, the day I actually came in. They told me they sent me email in the morning that I did not show up. I asked why the evening receptionist did not try to call me or send me email to verify why I am not showing up and the answer was that "he is not trained to do that". I said I will pay for another night and I did. In the morning I tried to convince the receptionist that they could be generous and refund me on the lost night. They refused. Obviously, this is out of season and while they kept the room for me, they did not have to refuse anyone for that, so this is just an excuse to make another 115 euro. While this was my responsibility and I should have checked my booking confirmation, I know that many places, (I run one myself) would have refund a guest who came twice that week. I also believe that telling you the night receptionist can't handle a no show?
I am not coming again.
There is a lower grade cheaper hotel in the ally just left to this hotel's building, We checked the rooms there too and they will be quite enough for us next time.
Another pain point in this hotel - internet for 10 euro per hour after you already have paid 155 for a luxury room? and a single computer for all guests? Not in par with the pose the hotel is trying to put on.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Or B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

Otherwise I hope that my room was not the norm but the exception...

Good
-Central location with public parking deck underneath the hotel
-Very good breakfast buffet with plenty of high end choices and all freshly prepared

Bad
-very odd room arrangement on the 4th floor that must have been converted in the 80s to cram in a shower and toilet. The bathroom felt like it was more part of the hallway and sink was in the bedroom. Old doors are poorly insulated and you could hear every step on the outside hallway.
-fairly expensive for the quality of the room.

Conclusion
The breakfast is worthy of a 4* or more but the room left much to be desired. Given the room price there are better value propositions in Bonn, especially if you don't need to be in the centre of town.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Nairobi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

I loved the service at this hotel, the staff are so helpful and polite that one feels quite at home. during our business meeting, they allowed us to use their board room for a quick meeting for free - rare with many establishments. This made up for the fact that internet access is pretty expensive. However, perhaps Stern is not the only one that needs to reconsider this. Rooms are cozy, warm (in the winter), well light and positioned. And the breakfast is great - such variety of protein, pastry, juices teas and coffee.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed at the Stern Hotel while on business in March 2013, and while I enjoyed the central location in Bonn and a generally friendly service, the rooms and the interior in general were not up to the 4 star standard the hotel advertises (e.g. on its website: http://www.sternhotel-bonn.de/index.php/en/).

First of all, I am not that picky when it comes to hotels. However, if a hotel advertises its 4 star classification, they should deliver. The interior of the hotel is very small and looks quite old, starting at the front desk, continuing with the stairs and the elevator, and finishing with the rooms. You enter your room with a traditional key that would not feel out of place at a youth hostel. The door to your room leads to directly to a shower on the left side, and an ultra-small extra room with the toilet on your right side. Confusingly, the sink is part of the main room. The furnishings in the small main room were ok, but looked noticeably inexpensive. A small tube TV should not be state-of-the-art in 2013, and a bedspread was lacking as well.

Since the hotel does not have its own fitness room, you have access to a spacious "Fitness First" gym across the marketplace - with very limited opening hours, though. Cars can be parked at the public "Marktplatz" underground garage directly adjacent to the hotel. If you just park your car there overnight, you only pay EUR1 per night.

Overall, the two only real bright spots during my eight-day stay were the central location of the hotel and the good breakfast buffet in a relatively modern breakfast room. Service was friendly, too. One concern I had is that the front desk hands out room keys to hotel guests who had deposited it there for the day without asking for a name or identification - this must be improved for security reasons.

I would definitely not invite business guests to this hotel, especially if they are used to international standards. As a leisure traveller, I may return because of the hotel's central location, if not much else.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MT87_Germany
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stay here for one week every year. Every year I have a wonderful experience. The view can be wonderful, overlooking the main market place and the city hall, the rooms are extremely clean and very modern, breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here while on business last Fall. We took a very spacious suite in the upper floor. Although the unit had no air conditioning and it was a very hot period in Bonn, the hotel kindly lent us a large fan, which provided ample air movement so we were able to sleep comfortably. The shower was fine except that I can't stand those squeeze bottles of body soap. You never know when they will empty on you as you can't see the level. I prefer a simple bar of soap, but I guess that's not the European way.

Breakfast was included and was quite good. For those that exercise, there's a large gym across the street, but the downside is that everyone leaves their weights all over the place, i.e., it's not supervised.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

This hotel is located in the center of the Bonn city with many resturants and shopping stores and malls around it. Staff at the hotel is very nice and friendly and very helpfull. Breakfast is served at the 1st floor. You can also borrow iron stand if you need to press your cloths. Laundry is only returned on 24 hrs cycle basis since it is sent out. There is a training studio and suanna accross the street which could be used free of charge......In general it was a good experience staying at that hotel.

Room Tip: Choose business class double room to get good value of your money since it comes with bigger TV, nic...