“Friendly staff, great breakfast.”
Review of SternHotel Bonn

SternHotel Bonn
Ranked #17 of 79 Hotels in Bonn
Reviewed 23 June 2009

This is a lovely hotel to stay in. Brill location in the marktplatz. Staff are very friendly - I've stayed there a few times, and they know me by name. Very good breakfast. Rooms are nice and clean, tv, fridge in room, etc. Included in the room rate is also access to the gym across the road, which has a sauna and steam room. Good value! I really love almost everything about this hotel - the only downside I found was the difficulty in getting hot water for my tea - I like having tea in the morning and evening, and kettles are not allowed in the rooms, and you can't always get the staff to bring you hot water. Also, you pay for the internet, it's not included in the room rate. Other than that, I recommend.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 November 2008

Based ourselves here for a business trip - found the staff generally friendly and helpful. Liked the location, my colleague's room overlooking the market was noisy early in t he mornings, go for an inner room which was very quiet. Single rooms OK, comfortable but not large, clean, breakfast very good, we got a good rate off booking.com.
We needed Internet at 20 euros for 4 days, cheaper than some hotels, but expensive if you just want to check some mails! Parking in the Markt garage very convenient and secure, parking overnight is cheap (1900 - 0900 1 euro) but would be expensive if staying all day (up to 25 euro!).

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2008

The Stern is a wonderfully located hotel, right in the Market Place of Bonn which makes it both very quiet (no motor traffic) as well as right in the heart of things. I have stayed there twice - once in a classic suite which was pretty lavish and large and, on this most recent trip, in one of their much cheaper and smaller single "Comfort" rooms. (3 of us were attending a conference at the Hilton which had no rooms so, based on my earlier stay, we booked into the Stern). The room was small and the bed very comfortable: other than some noise from the corridors, it was very quiet, too. The staff are generally very friendly and helpful and, as is usual in Germany, speak fluent English. Breakfast is unhurried, copious and with attentive waiters happy to bring you more coffee or whatever. There is an excellent German restaurant 3 doors away and a number of others within 100 metres.
The only fly in the ointment was the wireless internet which cost 20 Euros for 4 days and which did not work in our rooms on the 4th floor. It did work in reception although, as we needed it to talk to the US, sitting in reception at 3 a.m. wasn't appealing. They finally got it working on our last day and, when I suggested a pro-rated refund, the manager refused. This left us all feeling ripped off, especially as we had also needed to pay the Hilton to get wireless access there. So, if you stay here and want internet access, try it out first or use an internet cafe.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank johnmnzAsheville_NC
Reviewed 15 May 2007

Hotel was nice with clean rooms with good breakfast included in price. Internet was expensive to use at hotel so internet cafe much better option (if you can find one). Hotel staff unfriendly and unwilling to direct to internet cafes. They also ripped us off by refusing to admit that we had already paid room deposit prior to arrival despite e-mail proof of this. Wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank MattyMate
Reviewed 12 January 2007

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in December 2006. The welcome was friendly even though I arrived late at night in a taxi from CGN airport. I was given a room on the 5th floor of the hotel, although the lift only goes to the 4th floor. I imagine with a lot of luggage this would be a pain, however for a single traveler with a small bag I wasn't bothered having to walk up the final flight of stairs.

The room was spotlessly clean and quiet and overlooked the back of the hotel.

Breakfast was nothing special. The staff however are incredibly friendly, welcoming and efficient. The food avaible on the buffet is fine, however, I think that much of the fresh came from a tin. Also, the breakfast room is half smoking, half non-smoking, and although there is considerable distance between smoking/non-smoking tables, it still wasn't pleasent to be so close to all the smoke.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank gwn
Reviewed 28 December 2006

My visit to Bonn this December was a "sentimental journey". I had grown up there and left when I was 12 to return to Ireland where I have lived ever since. As a child I used to watch the sophisticated guests entering or leaving the Stern Hotel and I swore that when I grew up I too would stay there...it took me 29 years to return!
Our stay was magical - I guess a lot of it had to do with the time of year - the Christmas markets were in full swing, there was a huge (and I mean HUGE) Christmas tree outside our window and every morning the fruit and vegetable market was set up.
The staff of the Stern Hotel must be the friendliest --if not in the whole world, then definitely in Germany. From booking (efficient and friendly) to reception (warm-hearted and helpful) to room-service (efficient and personal), to breakfast service (plenty of variety, great service) we felt totally at home. Breakfast time was our favourite: smiling waitresses, Beethoven on the sound-system, view over the market square.....bliss!

My advice to travelers: don't underestimate Bonn --it may be a little quiet and conservative (at least on the outside) but it is a very civilized place with an excellent public transport system for easy access to culture, history, nature and night-life. The Stern Hotel is a tonic for anyone in need of peace and quiet and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Forget about rental cars --just walk everywhere or take the tram.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank piratequeen
Reviewed 30 October 2006

Great location, very friendly and helpful staff. Lovely buffet breakfast, spoilt for choice. They allowed us to check in to our rooms early as they were ready, a great help after an early morning flight.

Our room was on the 3rd floor and overlooked the square, large and sunny but our friends had an even bigger room that could have slept four!

Booking through their website was straightforward and they were prompt with dealing with any queries. Would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again if we revisited Bonn.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends