“Location OK Not much of a welcome!!”
Review of Hotel Continental

Hotel Continental
Ranked #43 of 79 Hotels in Bonn
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This hotel is well located especially if you are arriving by train. I'm not sure when it was awarded it's 4 star rating, but it definitely does not merit them. Although the rooms are quite large they are oddly decorated with dreadful kitch art and plastic flowers. They also seem to have purchased a huge quantity of orange paper napkins. Every possible surface in the bedroom is adorned with them. Another peculiar oddity about the place is that the bathroom door is clear transparent glass. The bed-linen is frayed and full of holes.
I'm no prude but there are certain bodily functions that are personal.
There was a vague looking receptionist who did not seem even forthcoming let alone welcoming.
We tried calling reception from the room and almost gave up trying to get through after 10 minutes. Thank God it wasn't an emergency. Also we asked where the best food in Bonn could be eaten,the same receptionist suggested Bonnsch. Ouch!!! Do read the review of the worst restaurant I've ever tried to eat in. It really couldn't get worse.
On the whole I'm sure there are better places to stay in this pretty city

Room Tip: Find a nicer hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David B

Reviewed 20 February 2013

I stayed here while on business in one of the single rooms. It had everything that one needs but I would have expected a wider bed (within the single sizes) and a more firm mattress for a 4 star. Shower pressure was good although the bulkhead was not big enough and the whole bathroom was full of water afterwards. Room was quiet, breakfast very nice and location excellent (at central station). I would not recommend it for leisure trips but it does work for business.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Virginia T
Reviewed 19 January 2013

This hotel has potential to be better than what it currently is and there is a lot of scope for improvement. For instance, as photographs suggest there is a lovely terrace on the roof BUT it is totally inaccessible other than during the breakfast hours in the summer. The terrace is situated behind the breakfast room which is locked after breakfast finishes each day at 10.30am so it is a completely wasted asset that would be a nice place to enjoy a coffee or glass of wine or beer at the end of a day. The reason being, the bar at the entry of the hotel appears to be decorative - I did not see it as being available to guests or used; it seems to be just for show.

The room I was allocated is designated a "suite" because it is bigger than other rooms and not because it has anything extra such as tea and coffee making facilities (this is a big deficit and another aspect that could improve the quality of the hotel). I had a look at the other rooms and was glad I had been given this room because other standard rooms are small. However, the room I was given was beside the breakfast room and faced the bus station, tram stop and railway station.... I had poor sleep due to having to have earplugs jammed in my ears for 3 nights. The noise from the fast trains and the loud-speaker on the train platform was very disruptive and I cannot understand why the windows are not double glazed. Additionally, at 6am (7am on the weekend) the waitressed commenced work in the breakfast room and due to the shoes she wore and the wooden flooring you could hear her walking around for the whole three hours that the breakfast room is open.

The hotel had minimal occupancy when I stayed and I am not surprised that it does not attract tourists as it would be more suitable for business people who only require a bed to sleep and breakfast in the morning. As has already been said, it is in well suited for people arriving by train but this comes with a price i.e. the noise! Also, be away that the entrance to the hotel is completely unappealing and ugly due to the surrounds e.g. the bus terminal, tram stop, take-away food shops and the people hanging around all of these.

At first I thought that the service at the hotel was OK. At the time I stayed the service wasn't anything to rave about; the people were approachable but had very little to do at reception due to the low occupancy. BUT when I checked my bank account 2 weeeks after my stay I found I had been charged twice for my stay! When I emailed the manager they were quick to offer a refund BUT because the euro was high when I paid in Australian dollars my "refund" was 15 euro less than I had been wrongfully charged. Coupled to this, I was also charged a $5 transaction fee. So the overcharge cost me an additional 20euro! Then to make things even more frustrating, the manager could understand that I lost money due to the hotel's error - she just couldn't understand that the euro and dollar fluctuate hence, I did not receive my full refund.

In summary, if you are looking for a budget hotel and you don't mind noise, small rooms and limited facilities and very ordinary service then this is the place for you but keep in mind,,,, you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Trust the comments made by reviewers
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Pro:
- close to the main station, very convenient if you come by train
- guest rooms recently refurbished, nice and modern
- great breakfast room with a roof terrace overlooking Bonn
- low rates

Con:
- inconvenient if you come by car, parking garage far away and closed at night
- still the old windows and you hear the street noise at night
- very small bathroom which will be wet after showering
- also inconvenient to shower because you are standing in a small and tight bath tub on an uneven surface and you have to stand on the drain
- We were late for breakfast but still within the time limits and the buffet was almost gone. There was just one breakfast attendant who was totally stressed and overburdoned.

Bottom line: Might be ok to stay there for one or two nights on a business trip.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carlos C
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Nice, clean and inexpensive hotel right by the bahnhof. No problem to locate it. Nice people at the reception. Good food for breakfast. Bathroom clean and comfy. Large bed and flat screen TV. Recommend.

Room Tip: non smoking the best
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2012

No parking arrangements, unusual for a city centre hotel. Checking in was efficient but not cordial.
The room was twin bedded and one of the beds was positioned so that when you sat up in bed the curtains dangled over your head. The shower screen didn’t fit the bath properly so the bathroom floor ended up soaked.
The hotel information provided in the room bore no resemblance to reality as in reference to a back entrance to the car park that does not exist. The bar does exist but the wines on the menu are not available and the barman said that this had been the case for at least 6 months.
By the way the breakfasts are excellent.
Please can someone explain how this place is rated as 4 star? I have been in 2 star hotels that I would rate higher than this.

Room Tip: I don't think that there is such a thing.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary W
Reviewed 1 April 2012

An average business hotel with a nice breakfast restaurant. New bathrooms...
The location is for people, who travel by car just a nightmare... If you go by train its just perfect...

Room Tip: They got bigger and smaller rooms... check it out!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank luxlait
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonn
Hotel Villa Esplanade
#18 of 79 in Bonn
Hilton Bonn Hotel
#1 of 79 in Bonn
Südstadt
Guennewig Hotel Residence
IntercityHotel Bonn
#9 of 79 in Bonn

Been to Hotel Continental? Share your experiences!