“Nothing special ... and bold staff”
Review of Hotel Continental

Hotel Continental
Ranked #44 of 79 Hotels in Bonn
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Unfortunately, I had a rather unpleasant stay there. The location is fine next to the train station, the rooms are big enough, but the "service" personnel is not very helpful and questions were answered quite impatiently. Too bad, could be a nice place to stay in the center of Bonn. :-(

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank schnecke95
There are newer reviews for Hotel Continental

Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Very average services for a 4 stars hotel.
Do not expect staying in this hotel for an other reason than business.
However, the value for money is correct.
A positive point is the breakfast that you take on the upper level (level 4, if I remember well) with a nice terrasse and great view on the city.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Stef_SZT
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed at the hotel for two nights when I was in Bonn on business. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the interior was fine. The room I satyed in (single room) was clean and the bathroom appeared newly renovated. The breakfast buffet was very enjoyable and there were lots of items to choose from. The hotel is located right across from the central station, which makes it easy to get around the city using public transport.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the side where the central station is located are much noisier, so ask for a room facin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2013

During our recent trip last year we had occasion to stop at the Continental though my preferred option was the Hotel Beethoven which has been torn down to be replaced by a somewhat larger venue on the shores of the Rhine. The location is excellent as it is directly in the center of town and there is a public parking lot within a few steps of the location. It should be noted that parking for the night is free but you need to check with the front desk who will clue you in what the local regulations are. Everything near the Hotel is within walking distance including a wide selection of restaurants and pubs, the Market area which should not be missed, the Cathedral and the many shopping venues. Quite near, also, is Bonn University with wide, picturesque park land and many interesting features. Bonn is really one of the prettiest cities that is accessible by walking around. The Hotel itself is comfortable and Breakfast was very good. The room was clean and quite large and, though the Hotel is quite close to the train station and other local transportation that was not noisy. Staff was friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: Should all be good
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This hotel is well located especially if you are arriving by train. I'm not sure when it was awarded it's 4 star rating, but it definitely does not merit them. Although the rooms are quite large they are oddly decorated with dreadful kitch art and plastic flowers. They also seem to have purchased a huge quantity of orange paper napkins. Every possible surface in the bedroom is adorned with them. Another peculiar oddity about the place is that the bathroom door is clear transparent glass. The bed-linen is frayed and full of holes.
I'm no prude but there are certain bodily functions that are personal.
There was a vague looking receptionist who did not seem even forthcoming let alone welcoming.
We tried calling reception from the room and almost gave up trying to get through after 10 minutes. Thank God it wasn't an emergency. Also we asked where the best food in Bonn could be eaten,the same receptionist suggested Bonnsch. Ouch!!! Do read the review of the worst restaurant I've ever tried to eat in. It really couldn't get worse.
On the whole I'm sure there are better places to stay in this pretty city

Room Tip: Find a nicer hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David B
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I stayed here while on business in one of the single rooms. It had everything that one needs but I would have expected a wider bed (within the single sizes) and a more firm mattress for a 4 star. Shower pressure was good although the bulkhead was not big enough and the whole bathroom was full of water afterwards. Room was quiet, breakfast very nice and location excellent (at central station). I would not recommend it for leisure trips but it does work for business.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Virginia T
Reviewed 19 January 2013

This hotel has potential to be better than what it currently is and there is a lot of scope for improvement. For instance, as photographs suggest there is a lovely terrace on the roof BUT it is totally inaccessible other than during the breakfast hours in the summer. The terrace is situated behind the breakfast room which is locked after breakfast finishes each day at 10.30am so it is a completely wasted asset that would be a nice place to enjoy a coffee or glass of wine or beer at the end of a day. The reason being, the bar at the entry of the hotel appears to be decorative - I did not see it as being available to guests or used; it seems to be just for show.

The room I was allocated is designated a "suite" because it is bigger than other rooms and not because it has anything extra such as tea and coffee making facilities (this is a big deficit and another aspect that could improve the quality of the hotel). I had a look at the other rooms and was glad I had been given this room because other standard rooms are small. However, the room I was given was beside the breakfast room and faced the bus station, tram stop and railway station.... I had poor sleep due to having to have earplugs jammed in my ears for 3 nights. The noise from the fast trains and the loud-speaker on the train platform was very disruptive and I cannot understand why the windows are not double glazed. Additionally, at 6am (7am on the weekend) the waitressed commenced work in the breakfast room and due to the shoes she wore and the wooden flooring you could hear her walking around for the whole three hours that the breakfast room is open.

The hotel had minimal occupancy when I stayed and I am not surprised that it does not attract tourists as it would be more suitable for business people who only require a bed to sleep and breakfast in the morning. As has already been said, it is in well suited for people arriving by train but this comes with a price i.e. the noise! Also, be away that the entrance to the hotel is completely unappealing and ugly due to the surrounds e.g. the bus terminal, tram stop, take-away food shops and the people hanging around all of these.

At first I thought that the service at the hotel was OK. At the time I stayed the service wasn't anything to rave about; the people were approachable but had very little to do at reception due to the low occupancy. BUT when I checked my bank account 2 weeeks after my stay I found I had been charged twice for my stay! When I emailed the manager they were quick to offer a refund BUT because the euro was high when I paid in Australian dollars my "refund" was 15 euro less than I had been wrongfully charged. Coupled to this, I was also charged a $5 transaction fee. So the overcharge cost me an additional 20euro! Then to make things even more frustrating, the manager could understand that I lost money due to the hotel's error - she just couldn't understand that the euro and dollar fluctuate hence, I did not receive my full refund.

In summary, if you are looking for a budget hotel and you don't mind noise, small rooms and limited facilities and very ordinary service then this is the place for you but keep in mind,,,, you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Trust the comments made by reviewers
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo