“Beethovens house lies silent - except for squeaks.”
Review of Beethoven House

Beethoven House
Ranked #4 of 74 things to do in Bonn
Glasgow, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Beethovens house lies silent - except for squeaks.”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The one thing that struck me after having wandered through all the various rooms of Beethovens house was that I didn't hear any music. Surely this is what should be celebrated here.The only sound you'll hear as you go from room to room is from the squeaky floorboards. I believe that it is possible to get an audio tour guide but as this was not offered to us I can only assume that this included listening to some of the great mans work.

Visited July 2014

• Turkish first
Almere, The Netherlands
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A good vieuw of Beethoven's life”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I liked to see the personal belongings of Beethoven ( pianos, hearing trumpets, letters. Nice building too.

Visited May 2014
India
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“....and his music keeps playing on!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Beethoven House ..... first visit was when I was still at school in Bonn. I took my family there on their first visit to my home town a couple of years ago. Anybody who loves the music of this Genius must go in and have a look around. I too will go back ..... one day.

Visited July 2013
Wales
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A bit disappointing”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I think we were expecting more when we entered the house and it was a bit disappointing that there was not much english information for us to know what the items were in the glass cases.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank 12061971
Singapore, null, Singapore
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Room for improvement”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Kudos to the association which saved Beethoven's birthplace from demolition. But as other reviewers have stated here, much of the commentary in the house was dedicated to the association, not to Beethoven.
Some suggestions:
1. Clear signage. We walked past the place twice before we realised where it was. We couldn't see a sign to the entrance of the museum. Only to the gift shop.
2. Music. This is the birthplace of a composer. But what do we hear as we enter? Nothing. Why not set up some speakers and play his music to greet the visitor? C'mon, it's not that hard.
3. Narrative. Like reviewer Joey_Warsaw said, I didn't get the sense that visitors were getting a complete picture of Beethoven and the people who surrounded him in a well-structured story.
None of this should take away from the dedicated people who restored the house and now usher tourists through it. But there's clearly potential to "professionalise" the experience.

Visited June 2014