“Overpriced and incredibly dirty”

and 1 more site!
Galerie Hotel Eschweiler
Ranked #73 of 79 Hotels in Bonn
Frankfurt, Germany
“Overpriced and incredibly dirty”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I lived in Germany for about 3 years, traveled the country extensively and come back regulalry: I never had such a bad experience. My fiancé quickly booked a thing at the last minute and didn't check reviews (too bad). The only three star feature of this hotel is the price, maybe because of the excellent location. But there are dozens of hotels in the area so no reason to chose this filthy place. Expect to find old dusty furniture and carpets as well as a sense and smell of decadence and careless management.
Just to give an example... Once I sat at the breakfast table in the morning, I was astonished by the visibly dirty cloths. I wanted to take a picture of the table to accompany my review but I had left my mobile in the room and didn't want to come back just for that. The tables were arranged with a paper cloth placed on top of the real cloth so that it leaves the corners of the first layer visible. If you lifted up the paper cloth you could see the big difference in colours between the dirty grey corners and the rest. The paper cloths as well had not been changed in months probably.
In short: go somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ciaurudizagara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We travelled in various cities in Germany and stayed 1 night in Bonn. The hotel was truly horrible. The room was very small and not renovated with poor furniture and bathroom.It was very loud there, the breakfast was bad and the service as well. The price - 94 euros for a night in this hotel is TOO much.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CarpeDiem_Travel14

Travellers are raving about these Bonn hotels

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel in December and the we selected it primarily due to its location. The location was indeed excellent. However, we were a bit disappointed with the service and cleanliness of the place. We reached the hotel late evening tired and even though we had agreed on time when we were reaching, we didnot find anyone at reception for checking in for over 30 mins and hence could not get into hotel and had to wait out in freezing cold. The room was ok but the bathroom was quite small and not comfortable. To be fair, once checked in, the staff were pretty helpful and understanding. They guided us for cheap but safe overnight parking for our car.

Room Tip: Donot go to the hotel with high expectations but for its wonderful location.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 December 2012

this was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The only plus is its location, the hotel is close to most sights, restaurants and pubs. apart from the location this hotel has nothing to offer, except for a true fawlty towers atmosphere: grumpy staff, dirty premises, and an overall assumingness towards guests. This hotel is so bad it is actually funny

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anna B
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I give this hotel only 1 star, and that's a stretch, because the man who checked us in was such a nice, but crotchety at times, gentleman and the location was right in the center of everything, but other than that I wouldn't of given this hotel any stars. It doesn't even deserve the one I gave it!
This is by far the WORST hotel I've ever stayed in and the ONLY reason that we stayed in it was #1 It was a mistake and we accidentally booked the wrong hotel & #2 All of the hotels in town were booked for that night.
First of the decor was old and there was a musty smell. The reception desk was an unorganized mess with paperwork all over the place. There is no elevator in this hotel, and we ended up with the last room (the 'family' room) which was on the very top floor (8 flights of stairs later). The carpets were stained and dirty, the shower, which was mildewy (and we wouldn't even use it), was in the bedroom and just to let you know the water closet is a shared bathroom stall with one toilet. (yes, with your neighbors) Ew! The bed was hard, but the sheets seemed to be cleaned as well as the towels. The TV was a 13 inch old TV that didn't work and for the heater we had space heater, not central heating. I felt like I was living for one night at a homeless shelter in this hotel. Ugh!
The breakfast is just a typical German breakfast, but just to let you know there are mice that come with it! Yes, you heard me correctly, MICE! I saw them running around the floor trying to find scraps to eat. This is just uncalled for.
I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and honestly think that it should be condemned!

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you're partial to homeless shelters.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank trishachambers69
Houston
Reviewed 17 September 2011

This hotel capitalizes on the location - in the city center and close to the Beethoven house, which even appears elsewhere in the name of the property. Other than that - it's run by folks with no business in the hospitality industry. The manager is an elderly grumpy man with less than rudimentary knowledge of English which seems to irritate him more than the English only speaking guests (maybe we should try to grasp some German, at least in this case), but judging from the dissatisfaction in German reviews, there are other issues.
In my case, and few others, it was noise - not only is there a restaurant downstairs (fair enough, it was mentioned by Rick Steves, and it eventually closes) - there was some black window disco across the street all night. Drunk screaming folks in the street on a weekday, there was no game. There is a reference to 'soundproof' on another website, the only proof they recognize the issue; he told me it was my fault because I kept the window open (hot summer night, no AC). In the morning he wouldn't let me go until he got the key back (I left it in the room and did not want to have anything to do with the 'staff' any more and he, kindly, did let me know what he thought of me on his part) - all in all that heavy-handed German grace.

Room Tip: rooms facing the street and possibly other may be an issue at night
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Boston, MA
Reviewed 8 January 2009

My family of 4 stayed at the Hotel Eschweiler for 3 nights in December 2008. They are one of the few hotels that could accommodate a family of 4 in one of their 2 room apartments. The 2 rooms were actually 2 bedrooms which opened up to a common "lobby" area where the bathroom was. The apartment could have been cleaner (it didn't appear as though it was vacummed in a while and there were a few stains on the carpet). However, the rooms and bathroom were made up daily and it wasn't bad. We were out from just after breakfast to late at night so as a place to sleep and have a good, hot (and forceful), shower, we felt is was more than adequate. It was very quiet in the part of the hotel we stayed in...not noisy at all like some of the previous reviews indicated. The breakfast was VERY good. Large selection of meats, cheeses, yogurt, rolls, hard/soft boiled eggs and scrambled eggs. They also provided free internet in the reception area and round the clock coffee and tea (self service). As noted in the previous posts, it is very centrally located (literally steps for the Beethoven House and the Market area). It's about a 10 minute walk to the Bonn Hauptbahnhof, which made it easy to go to Cologne for the day and when we left for Salzburg. The staff I met during our stay (3 of them), were nice enough and answered any questions I had. The older gentleman that staffed the night time reception seemed a bit grumpy, but seemed ok once he saw us each night. All in all, I would recommend this hotel if you can put up with a bit dated rooms that could be cleaner.

• Liked — Location, breakfast
  • Disliked — No Lift, Rooms could have been a bit cleaner
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hawkeye