“Rip-Off place”

Ranked #46 of 59 Cologne B&B and Inns
Amsterdam
“Rip-Off place”
Reviewed 17 December 2009

Due to bad stories I got about the hotel I tried to cancel my reservations for 2 rooms. First time I had a man on the phone who spoke no English, but he took a message. I got no call back. A week before we were supposed to checkin I call again to cancel the rooms, no one answered. 6 days before checkin I finally got to cancel the room, but then I heard I will be charged 80% of the price anyway!! Do not book a room here since you will have to pay even if you try to cancel the room for weeks.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Mirkatje

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Budapest
Reviewed 13 July 2009

The pension has got a good location, about ten minutes' walk from Cologne main station. At our arrival, we were asked to pay immediately for the night, yet credit cards were not accepted under 50 euros. We had some cash with us, but I think the hotel management is not really customer-focused, giving no choice of method of payment. Something else proved this point: after the check-in, we get to discover that the room is tiny but clean and well-equipped. Yet when we asked about the non existant internet connection, the staff lady 's attitude was non professional, stating she was busy. She gave us the wepkey all the same but in the end it never worked. Also, last surprise, when we were ready to go to bed, we discovered that the store-shutter was broken, and were awaken quite early the morning after.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Pru17
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2008

The Pension Stork 1 is a dive, I’m sorry to say. The location is quiet good, with lots of restaurants nearby, but that’s where the positives stop. The management are totally unhelpful.

When we arrived we cam from a long day of travel, and as we walked in we were asked for the cash straightaway. We said we didn’t carry that kind of money, and could we pay the next day, or later in the evening when we come back. This was greeted with a firm ‘no’ and a “you have to pay at check in”. Finally, she agreed to leave our bags in our room (though not give us our room key) while we went to walk straight BACK to the train station and get cash. On the way out, however, we noticed a big bowl of sweets with Mastercard logos on them. “Do you take credit cards?” I asked in disbelief, which was answered with a reluctant yes.

So, we did that, and finally were shown to our room – a shoebox. The towels provided were hand towels (tiny!), the pillows were ridiculously soft, and the bathroom is like a postage stamp. There was absolutely no room for our bags. We had to put the bedside table IN the wardrobe just to be able to move around. (By the way, I’m very familiar with the modesty of hotel room sizes in Europe, like in London and Paris – but this was truly miniscule).

Strangely, they provide you with two free mini bottles of sparkling wine which is a nice gesture, but we would have preferred two more square feet of room, two normal sized towels, two firm pillows, two helpful staff members – in fact we should have just gotten two rooms elsewhere.

Don’t stay here. It’s not worth your time or money.

• Liked — The free WiFi
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Cologne hotels