“Location is everything”

XII Apostel Albergo Hotel
Ranked #83 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Nice hotel with perfect location on the Heimarkt.
Small room but very clean unfortantly no aircondition.
Didnt try breakfast better go to an bäckeri. Would absolutly stay here again.
Found a superdeal on internet. Too cheep no to go.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 May 2013

A very pleasant surprise. I booked it because the listing said that all rooms were doubles and I got a very good price for Cologne. Reception area is small but efficient if not exactly personable. The hotel is about two blocks from the Rhine.

I was shocked when I finally found my room and opened the door to a long hall. That led to another wide hall with the bathroom off the middle of it and the bedroom at the end. Both rooms were very large for the price and location (although other rooms on the floor looked comparatively small). The bedroom had a large sofa as well as a queen/king bed. Windows ran the width of the accommodation and all faced the Huemarkt (a large, open square bordered by lots of restaurants of varying types and price ranges). Conveniences were a bit odd, with the desk in the hallway but no outlets in sight. There was no phone or radio in the room (but there were emergency buttons next to the bed and toilet) but, between the comfort and space, those were minor inconveniences and a smart phone with WiFi capability will easily provide the features a radio and phone would.. For the big room, ask for an “01" room in front of the hotel.

I’ve read that the location is noisy but, with the windows closed, there was no intrusion. There’s no breakfast but it’s fun to go on the hunt for breakfast in the morning and I found several great, friendly places nearby to fill that need.

Room Tip: Ask for an "01" room (in front of the hotel).
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The hotel is very conveniently located on a market square and it has some great bars and restaurants nearby. I particularly loved the cheap Kittichai (thai food) on the Altermarkt, which was around the corner, next street down and there are some nice authentic German pubs around.

Although in the city center, I didn't hear any noise from the streets when the windows were closed. And we were there during the semi-final of the EK! The room was small but comfortable and clean, apart from some broken glass I found near my bed(!). The bathroom is modern and well-kept with a great walk-in shower.

The receptionists were reasonably friendly, although always seemed to be standing outside smoking when I wanted to ask something.
I haven't been in the Albergo restaurant, so I don't know about their food, but it looked cosy and I like the table arrangements outside. We did got complementary drinks on the first day, which was a great start of our stay.

The Cathedral is only a few minutes walking and there are plenty of museums to go to.

All-in-all, I would recommend the hotel because of its great location and that the rooms were modern and clean.

Room Tip: Rather than having an expensive breakfast at the hotel, I would suggest going to one of the bars on...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I was in Koln for business and a colleague booked this hotel for me (normally I am very nervous about letting someone else book my accomodations) but it was great. If you enjoy being in the heart of the action you can't get a much better location in Koln. In the center of the old town, it is literally 500 metres from dozens of restaurants and pubs. However, for those of you who prefer peace and quiet you may wish to consider a different location. It is a vibrant party area and because there is no air conditioning in the rooms the open window does allow you to hear very clearly the festivities at street level. It didn't bother me at all because I was up late at night anyhow and either fell asleep immediately because of tiring work days or passed out because of excessive amounts of the great local beer, Kolsch ;-). It is a touristy area (isn't that what tourists want?!?!!?) so you will pay a premium for food and drinks in the local establishments---- if you are looking for deals, don't hang out in "touristy" areas. The Rhine river is about 1/4 mile away and makes for some really nice walks to clear your head and work off all the meat, potato's and cabbage you will eat....oh did I mention the Kolsch?!? The hotel service was very friendly, the rooms were fine, typical Euro hotel rooms on the smallish side but very clean and comfortable. Be aware of the no air conditioning, it could be an issue in July, August (I was there in May). The restaurant below is not just a "pizza place" like some reviews state. It is an Italian restaurant that does have a wide assortment of wood fired pizza's. Went there for lunch and it was just ok (overpriced), but had breakfast there each morning and if you love European breakfasts as much as I do, you will really like the selection of cold meats, breads, cheeses, etc. I enjoyed breakfast.

So, if you enjoy the night life and getting out to pubs and restaurants without having to drive anywhere, this is the place for you. If you are on the boring side and get irritated with a slight bit of festivities around your hotel, look elsewhere. I also, thought that for the price, it was reasonably good value.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The location is great, the rooms are Ok, with a modern nice bathroom, however, they don't provide shampoo nor soap which was surprising to me. I didn't like the fact that they literally threw us out of the restaurant at 10am sharp where we had breakfast. This was unnecessary and rude. Also, I think that the price for the hotel room was on the high side.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 25 June 2010

The XII Apostel, which is how the hotel is known, is a nice *** hotel atop a pizza place on busy Heumarkt with the back to the Ostermannplatz. This is party Cologne (for tourists rather than locals), so it will be really loud, and since a hotel of this kind has of course no A/C, one has to open the windows in summer. Staff was nice, breakfast ok-ish (but nice hot drinks), free wlan and water is a real bonus (should be normal but isn't).

So why only two dots from me? My room, 313, was to the rear (Ostermannplatz) and had three small windows which were so high up that I couldn't see through them (and I'm 6'3). However, they let all the (considerable) noise in at night and all the light as well - the curtains in front of two of them were so narrow that they covered perhaps half of them, which means that one cannot keep the sun out in the morning at all. That made for a very unpleasant atmosphere. Secondly, the wooden-framed double bed (two mattresses though) occupied such a large part of the room that one could only enter it from the side, and the space between bed and wall on either side (I kid not) was something like 15 inches. The price (€ 74) surely was competitive for Cologne, but I will definitely not stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2009

The hotel was wisely selected for us by the Cologne Tourist Board for its disabled access and proximity to the train station as we were using rail to visit the Christmas markets with a mobility buggy. I had e mailed the Board to request an accessible hotel near to the Old Town. The hotel was directly on the Heumarkt where there is a skating rink and a variety of Christmas attractions from the third week in November until just before Christmas. The bathroom was a wet room which was just what we needed. The room was very large with ample power points to recharge the buggy. The hotel was excellent and served a buffet breakfast which had everything from Scandinavian fish and salad to scrambled eggs with a choice of fillings cooked whilst you waited and everything for a continental breakfast, including a vast array of meats, breads, fruits and cheeses. Everything was exceptionally clean and the staff attentive. The restaurant was busy at night but as we ate at each of the markets in turn, we only used it for a drink and for breakfast. The hotel is easily accessed from the railway station. An excellent choice for a short break.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple