“Not the best first impression, but a great budget hotel to stay in.”

AZIMUT Hotel Cologne
Ranked #31 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Pros: The best thing about this hotel is the size of the rooms, I mean I've never stayed in a room that big in a budget hotel before. Lots and lots of space, spacious bathroom (with an excellent power shower that I wished I can take home), mini-bar and good A/C which is very important in the summer. We had no complains regarding the cleanness of the room. The central station and the Kolner Dom are just a 15 minutes walk and if you need transportation the subway and city train (U and S bahn) are just across the hotel entrance. The price was very good in comparison to other hotels.

Cons: Your first impression about this hotel won't be great. The neighborhood looks a bit seedy. The lobby and reception desk are very small and dated. The walls need new paint and the carpets need to be replaced. Just don't let any of that discourage you or get you nervous. The rooms are fine, spacious and clean. Other things to be aware of is that there are no coffee making facilities in the room and no free WiFi.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ismael_Bes
Write a ReviewReviews (1,051)

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Great room. Breakfest was ok and satisfying. Would gladly return to stay there. The location is really in the center, few metera from the metro station and about 15 min. Walk from the Dom. It has parking which makes it much easier.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
AzimutCologne, Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Cologne, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel.

We are looking forward to welcome you again during your next stay in Cologne.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

The hotel was large & comfortable, service was fine. Location is convenient for catching the train or buses. Noise from trains didn't bother me. What did bother me was their asinine internet access policy. Internet access is free - that's good. The only access in the rooms was wired - that's OK, though I would have much preferred wifi, also, for my phone. We'll come back to that.

So you're in your room & the only way to physically attach to the internet is a wire to the plug in the wall. No problem, they even supply a wire if you need it (and most computers made up until a year ago have a LAN port to connect to).

Why oh why do they also make you go to the front desk every day and get a new access code - which is only good for a limited amount of internet activity? They'll give you as many access slips as you want. So I have my usual 15 browser windows open and I download an important business doc - and oops - my quota is up. Go get another access slip (the next day I asked for several) but now all 15 windows are showing me the hotel login page and my navigation is lost. What a stupid policy and inconvenience to guests! It's physically impossible to connect if I'm not a guest -- why this extra obstacle?

Oh and about wifi for the phone? They have wifi on the first two floors (lobby & restaurant). I tried every single day , several times each day - and could never ever get my Samsung Galaxy S2 to connect...

Nice place - a shame their internet service & policies make it unacceptable for future stays.

Caveat: I stayed there 9 months ago - perhaps their policy has changed in the meanwhile. I advise you inquire before reaching a final conclusion.

Room Tip: If having train tracks outside your window bother you, let them know you want the other side.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I can only recommend you not to go to this Hotel. See here why.

First, internet is not free of charge, except in the tiny reception.

Second, the service and booking administration is really poor. I was given a smoking room. When I complained they say there were not more non-smoking rooms available, except paying a surplus to get a comfort room. I did not accept that as I consider a 4 start hotel has to be able to offer a non-smoking room no matter the room category.

But that was not all. When I wanted to have a shower I realised that the button to switch from the bath tap to the shower hose was damaged and did not work. Then, I had to get dressed again and ask for a solution at reception. They offered me to go to another room for the shower and come back to my original room again !! I refused and obtained a new ( smoking again) room.
The smoking odour was so stinky that I left the windows wide open all night, despite the noise was terrible ( even with the windows closed) as there are more than 10 railway lines passing just in front of the hotel.

Definitively a very bad choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Advisor0001
AzimutCologne, Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Cologne, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the AZIMUT Hotel Cologne City Center

We are ashamed and hear with regret about your inconvenience during your stay.
We apologize for the dissatisfaction and inadequately assistance of the front office clerks.
Of course we should have offered you a move to a non smoker room, no matter witch category.

That is definitely not our standard at all.
We are a classified four star hotel and we use to handle our daily challenge on a very cordially and professional way.

We do agree with your disappointment and please assured that we are going to reinvestigate those situations by talking with the responsible departments extensive.

We would really like to have the opportunity again to convince you about our customer-services-skills.

With the best regards

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a very nice and quiet room, but unfortunately the airconditioning didn't work at the very hot weekend and there was a slight smell of moth powder. The service was very friendly and helpful. We will come again. (if the airconditioning is ok and if there is a better smell in the room)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time you spent to describe our hotel on www.tripadvisor.de.

We apologize for the unpleasant stay in your room, caused by the heat during August the air conditioning didn’t work property.

In September we waited the conditioning, so that we have a brand new system online now.
In between we also understand your disaffection about the bad smell, our team at the reception is always exerted to find the best solution for you.

We are glad to hear that you consider coming back in our hotel.

With best regards

Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

What impressed me most in this hotel was the sheer size of the room. I reserved a single room and found myself in a room that must have measured at least 40 square metres all in all. Wifi in the room is free and surprise, surprise, it actually works. The breakfast is copious and varied. The location is great in a quiet part of this exciting city yet within a sort walking distance of all the major attractions.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Breagadoir
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Convenient business hotel for visiting the exhibition Kölnmesse. Convenient transportation hub. Near the hotel a lot of restaurants and shops. Someone complained to the reception wi-fi, we have a problem with it was not, and it works fine. Decent breakfast. In general, satisfied!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business