“Convenient, comfortable and affordable hotel”

AZIMUT Hotel Cologne
Ranked #31 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I first stayed in this hotel a couple of years ago and have returned on three separate occasion during different times of the year. Each time the stay has been pleasant, comfortable and well worth the affordable price tag. The beds are incredibly comfortable and they offer smoking and non smoking rooms. It's located right beside the train station, which is super convenient and despite being so close is incredibly quiet in the rooms. Plus there is parking available if you need it as parking in Cologne can be quite a nightmare to find.
It's only a ten minute walk to the Cathedral, the Rhine and various other museums. The staff were helpful and polite. I only ate breakfast here twice, it was a simple German breakfast of breads, jams, meats and fruits. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed here during a busy time in cologne for a trade fair - rooms were €400 per night.
For €400 you get no pool no leisure centre no restaurant (I'm not joking!) sometimes one and sometimes 2 people at a very busy reception. There is free wifi in the lobby but only 4 seats. Bottle of Water 500ml in room with "Herzlich Willkommen" written on it but a price tag of €2.60.
Rooms were very big - but window wouldn't open so a little stuffy. Breakfast was ok, warm orange juice and a broken coffee machine aside. reception staff were friendly but completely overwhelmed when confronted with a problem. No warmth or atmosphere or love - just a money making machine.

Room Tip: Chose one in a different Hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The room is HUGE and the interior is not bad but the main drawback is the Internet. It's the 21st century, people! How come no more than 1 device online at a time?! The reservation was prepaid otherwise I would've changed hotels immediately.

Room Tip: Don't book here if you need internet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Pros: The best thing about this hotel is the size of the rooms, I mean I've never stayed in a room that big in a budget hotel before. Lots and lots of space, spacious bathroom (with an excellent power shower that I wished I can take home), mini-bar and good A/C which is very important in the summer. We had no complains regarding the cleanness of the room. The central station and the Kolner Dom are just a 15 minutes walk and if you need transportation the subway and city train (U and S bahn) are just across the hotel entrance. The price was very good in comparison to other hotels.

Cons: Your first impression about this hotel won't be great. The neighborhood looks a bit seedy. The lobby and reception desk are very small and dated. The walls need new paint and the carpets need to be replaced. Just don't let any of that discourage you or get you nervous. The rooms are fine, spacious and clean. Other things to be aware of is that there are no coffee making facilities in the room and no free WiFi.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ismael_Bes
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Great room. Breakfest was ok and satisfying. Would gladly return to stay there. The location is really in the center, few metera from the metro station and about 15 min. Walk from the Dom. It has parking which makes it much easier.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
AzimutCologne, Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Cologne, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel.

We are looking forward to welcome you again during your next stay in Cologne.

Yours faithfully
AZIMUT Hotel Cologne City Center

Reviewed 18 August 2013

The hotel was large & comfortable, service was fine. Location is convenient for catching the train or buses. Noise from trains didn't bother me. What did bother me was their asinine internet access policy. Internet access is free - that's good. The only access in the rooms was wired - that's OK, though I would have much preferred wifi, also, for my phone. We'll come back to that.

So you're in your room & the only way to physically attach to the internet is a wire to the plug in the wall. No problem, they even supply a wire if you need it (and most computers made up until a year ago have a LAN port to connect to).

Why oh why do they also make you go to the front desk every day and get a new access code - which is only good for a limited amount of internet activity? They'll give you as many access slips as you want. So I have my usual 15 browser windows open and I download an important business doc - and oops - my quota is up. Go get another access slip (the next day I asked for several) but now all 15 windows are showing me the hotel login page and my navigation is lost. What a stupid policy and inconvenience to guests! It's physically impossible to connect if I'm not a guest -- why this extra obstacle?

Oh and about wifi for the phone? They have wifi on the first two floors (lobby & restaurant). I tried every single day , several times each day - and could never ever get my Samsung Galaxy S2 to connect...

Nice place - a shame their internet service & policies make it unacceptable for future stays.

Caveat: I stayed there 9 months ago - perhaps their policy has changed in the meanwhile. I advise you inquire before reaching a final conclusion.

Room Tip: If having train tracks outside your window bother you, let them know you want the other side.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I can only recommend you not to go to this Hotel. See here why.

First, internet is not free of charge, except in the tiny reception.

Second, the service and booking administration is really poor. I was given a smoking room. When I complained they say there were not more non-smoking rooms available, except paying a surplus to get a comfort room. I did not accept that as I consider a 4 start hotel has to be able to offer a non-smoking room no matter the room category.

But that was not all. When I wanted to have a shower I realised that the button to switch from the bath tap to the shower hose was damaged and did not work. Then, I had to get dressed again and ask for a solution at reception. They offered me to go to another room for the shower and come back to my original room again !! I refused and obtained a new ( smoking again) room.
The smoking odour was so stinky that I left the windows wide open all night, despite the noise was terrible ( even with the windows closed) as there are more than 10 railway lines passing just in front of the hotel.

Definitively a very bad choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Advisor0001
AzimutCologne, Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Cologne, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the AZIMUT Hotel Cologne City Center

We are ashamed and hear with regret about your inconvenience during your stay.
We apologize for the dissatisfaction and inadequately assistance of the front office clerks.
Of course we should have offered you a move to a non smoker room, no matter witch category.

That is definitely not our standard at all.
We are a classified four star hotel and we use to handle our daily challenge on a very cordially and professional way.

We do agree with your disappointment and please assured that we are going to reinvestigate those situations by talking with the responsible departments extensive.

We would really like to have the opportunity again to convince you about our customer-services-skills.

With the best regards